Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
'
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
'
Hi, I wanted to know if anybody had any pictures of of modified stock chev 250 intake manifolds? I think it can be done, but need some pictures to convince my machinist to help. For those who have read my previous posts I had to give any hopes of getting newer chev 250 parts. In Guatemaula they did not have any chev 250's.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
There is an internal cavity surrounding the single bore opening in the intake, and enlarging the bore to accept a 2 bbl will break into this cavity. So it probably wouldn't be a good idea to try it. It would involve having to fill the cavity with some sort of epoxy and will likely cause you to loose your intake heating from your exhaust manifold. Plus, don't know how the epoxy would last in the long term.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
How about using an '81-'83 250 truck intake?? already a 2bbl.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Not exactly the same but here is a modified Johnson intake:

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae131/strokersix/DSCN3475.jpg

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Machining and modifying the cast iron OEM manifold from a one barrel to a two barrel configuration. The attached original photos would not pull up for me now.

https://www.inliners.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=63274

'
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
'
The varajet carb was only used on the integeral head. just to make sure, I have done a cross country jy check for a 2 bbl manifold; no luck. Periodicly I check online for used manifolds no luck. I have now acumalated some stock manifolds.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Sent PM with pictures as I could not figure out how to post pictures on thread.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I thought it was you that had modified an intake for a 2 bbl carb. Not sure if he could do it with a factory 1 bbl intake though because of the cavity surrounding the carb area. If he could find one of those intakes like you have there that would be his best bet.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
I,D GET A OFFY 1X4BBL EASY TO GET WHAT YOU NEED THERE

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
'
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
'
I am sure that the 4 barrel Offy would be straight forward... But I don't have one. A semi retired foreman at work has a home machine shop, where he trys to reinvent the wheel. Hope fully Nobby can do something for less than a flat of beer.
There is a swap meet coming up, I will check for more suitable manifolds then.

'
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
'
...Oh also the Nova will only see fair wheather so less heat shouldn't be to bad, (with a machined stock intake).

'
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
'
Hi, thanks for the thought but your pics didn't come thru.

W
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
W
I'd like to see the pics too.

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
Here are some before and after pics of the stock 1bbl manifold that I modded.

Backstory, I wanted to retain the factory manifold but have it flow better for my turbo application. So I milled the factory 1bbl hole larger to fit the opening area of a Holley 2300 2bbl. Yes, to my surprise, there is a sleeve and cavities. At this point I had to fill the cavities, so out comes the JB Weld! I made some forms on the filled with JB Weld.

Milled:

I check it after around 500 miles or so, to see if the "fill" was maintaining shape and not deteriorating. It looked the same as the day I put it in. Since then, I ran over 2000 miles on it, before I swapped it for an Offy.

Current:

'
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
'
Thanks for posting the pics. This manifold looks like it would work ok. Did you notice the loss of heat? How come you swapped it out for the Offy?
Thanks Jason

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
 Originally Posted By: '64 Nova
Thanks for posting the pics. This manifold looks like it would work ok. Did you notice the loss of heat? How come you swapped it out for the Offy?
Thanks Jason

I noticed no difference with loss of heat. My setup is a little different than a N/A though. I am running a turbo, blow thru carb... So I removed the heat riser in the exhaust manifold to get maximum flow.

While this manifold flowed twice the stock one, because I am turbocharging, I wanted to get max flow on the intake also. The Offy's spread opening allows that. Other than the opening, the manifolds look exactly the same.

Boucher'

'
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
'
Hi Boucher, thanks for the info. I am thinkingthat the stock manifold will work just fine considering my application.
Jason

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
nice engineering pal

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
'
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
'
250 eng update: A while ago I scored an offenhauser manifold, with their adapter plate & spread bore adapter for $150. I am planning on putting on putting on the varajet carb that I have. Still have to assemble eng to complete the rebuild with head studs & new balancer.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 207 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available