Print Thread
Rate Thread
#75472 06/09/13 09:45 PM
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
I'm in the start of a frame off customization of an 83 C20 in which I am installing a mild street 292 with a couple of things planned for "coolness factor". I plan on either two or three single bbl carbs, and split tube headers. I just wonder for an engine that only went out of production in 1990(Mexico), and everyone braggs of the huge torque that can be produced with some $$'s spent, why is there no interest in making ANY performance parts? No heads, blocks,very few cams, cranks, or even oil pans. The local shop that cleaned my block said that the local GM dealers couldn't even get an oil filter bypass valve! So what is going on here? I have a friend with a Model T Ford that can get anything he needs for an engine built 90 years ago. Why does everyone want these engines to go away, heck, they even used them in racing applications. Can someone just shed a little light on this query please?

Contributor
Contributor
Here's my take on it...

It was so much easier to get power out of a small block V8 and bolt it directly to the existing transmission, that back in the day, nobody even thought about souping up these "little" motors. Even today, you can buy a running 350 and bolt it on and have more power. Like everyone and their brother did for decades.
The 292 specifically, was only offered in trucks. Which of course would greatly benefit from a V8 conversion no matter if it's a work truck or a weekend warrior. There was no NEED nor desire for the underperformer.

WE of course... are different. Going against the grain has always been more or less my way, and I've found this forum to be a great help during my project. There is a market for performance parts, but not big enough to be profitable in large scale. - there is no large scale. That said, performance parts are out there. And more on the way, but for a price of course.
Arguably the biggest bottle neck with the design is the cylinder head. For a serious power increase while maintaining driveability, a completely new head design is really the way to go. You'll find info on these forums here on "12-port heads".

I don't know the 292 in detail, mine is a 230. But it is listed at LESS HP than the other smaller sixes. So yea, it makes torque. Without looking at rod ratios and such, sounds to me it would not be a good candidate for high rpm power (without heavy mods), none of these sixes really are.. But perfect for force feeding \:\)

My opinions only of course.

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Try http://www.12bolt.com , there are a few parts there. The inlines have never had a huge following, just a dedicated one.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
As Tom pointed out, there are a few of us out here that are making and offer performance products for these Inline 6's. There are (3) different performance 12 Port aluminum heads available for them, as well as anything cam-wise up to roller cams. So the stuff is out there, you might not find much used, because once guys find it, they hold onto it for dear life.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
from my experience its real hard to find a block that will take a overhaul without sleeving it and early heads are now getting hard to come by because of them cracking and because the price of scrap is so high. i went thru 3-4 blocks to get 1 good enough to rebuild and even then I had to sleeve 1 hole #1 jmo

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
i guess is depends where you live! in AZ its so dry here parts don't rust and die off like they would out east!

Josh
72 gmc lwb air ride 5 speed (soon) turbo 292 II# 6102
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
With a practical limit of around 300 ci for an inline engine that will fit in a standard passenger vehicle and the relatively low cost of a 400+ci V8 that will fit into the same space it is no wonder that we are few and speed equipment for our engines is scarce. When you can build a flock of small block Chevys for what one strong Chevy, GMC, or Ford inline six would cost it is no surprise that folks on a tight budget choose a V8. It's just the way it is. Less demand means fewer parts and higher prices. The 292 came along when the V8 mentality was firmly in place. I am amazed that there is as much stuff for them as there is and that a lot of it is so affordable. Very few car publications print inline articles and the newest information on 235/261 Chevys and 270/302 GMCs is over 60 years old. A lot of the guys who have newer info choose the take it to their graves rather than give up their secrets.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
There are formulas for torque and horsepower and they are related. Usually the more horsepower the more torque and vise-versa. Torque as a rule of thumb, especially under the older SAE dyno testing could be approximated as a foot pound for every cubic inch. Of course there are exceptions as wittnessed by the long branch intaked Chryslers and some others, but GENERALLY its close to a 1:1 ratio.

So when folks talk about the "tremendous" or "bottom end" torque of our inline sixes, its at low end because they sure aint got no top end, and almost any V8 has more inches, more horsepower, therefore more torque. (save for the 239 flathead Fords and 23X studes). Check out the hp/torque curves for a 265 Chevy V8 vs. the 261 Chevy six. No where, no how.

There is that "romantic" dirt track logic that "dem sixes pull so hard outta da corners that dem bent eights cant touch em" - maybe its 'cause they aint overpowering their tires like the eights can. Dunno aint a roundy-rounder.

I feel the best thing to do with a hopped up limited size six is to put it into the lightest thing possible, like a helium filled Smart Car and hang on ('cause there aint no room to sit).

But I still think the sixes are cool, and no one's is gonna brag that they beat you!

Contributor
Contributor
"But I still think the sixes are cool, and no one's is gonna brag that they beat you!"

YES! That is what I was waiting for!!

Tim

Tim Tenold
I.I.#498
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
The coolness was my point. I am pulling the 350 V8 during my rebuild because everyone has one. I found an 86 Mexican 292 with a bad head, but I bought one to replace it(without the AIR holes though). The cylinders are all just shy of needing bored, so I'm not doing it until neccessary. The mains are only -0.001" and the rods standard. I'm having a tough time finding all original brackets for alt, ps, and a/c. I couldn't get over the fact that GM discontinued the oil bypass valve. This will just be a weekend cuiser built to look good, not hit the 1/4 mile track. Thinking 3 single bbls, dual exhaust, and aluminuum dress up parts. Thanks. btw where can I see these 12 port heads?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Here you go.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
 Originally Posted By: HeavyTruck
The coolness was my point. I am pulling the 350 V8 during my rebuild because everyone has one. I found an 86 Mexican 292 with a bad head, but I bought one to replace it(without the AIR holes though). The cylinders are all just shy of needing bored, so I'm not doing it until neccessary. The mains are only -0.001" and the rods standard. I'm having a tough time finding all original brackets for alt, ps, and a/c. I couldn't get over the fact that GM discontinued the oil bypass valve. This will just be a weekend cuiser built to look good, not hit the 1/4 mile track. Thinking 3 single bbls, dual exhaust, and aluminuum dress up parts. Thanks. btw where can I see these 12 port heads?

I think the head is the ultimate "aluminum dress up part."

\:D

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Hey tere heavy truck let me check the invintory i might have some bracketry for you!

Josh
72 gmc lwb air ride 5 speed (soon) turbo 292 II# 6102
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Ah, above and below rather than all in a line in the original. That was an easier path than intake and exhaust on opposite sides? I wondered why big firms like Edelbrock have never tested the water, or at least used their tecknology to created a mold to fill custom requests.

Last edited by HeavyTruck; 06/15/13 08:03 AM.
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
 Originally Posted By: HeavyTruck
Ah, above and below rather than all in a line in the original. That was an easier path than intake and exhaust on opposite sides? I wondered why big firms like Edelbrock have never tested the water, or at least used their tecknology to created a mold to fill custom requests.

I think it is due to having the push rods on the other side. No way to get ports past them. Most cross flow heads are overhead cams design, so no push rods.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
why big firms like Edelbrock have never tested the water?

Same problem as with new product development in wallpaper, widgets or waffles: not enough sales volume to justify the project.

That's also what sinks many, many small foundry projects: the R&D work almost always turns out to take longer than anticipated, minor problems always show up (look how many versions of the 235 head were made - how many others were tried and too bad to release?). I'm always surprised when I point out how many different heads even a small company like Harley had to make before they got all the bugs out.
When the first rumor shows up, isn't anyone else surprised at how many people say "I definitely want one!" - who 5 minutes ago couldn't get their Mom's station wagon to run, or "are students without a lot of money"? Merely asking "cross-flow or not? Stock lobe position or not? Use existing manifolds or not?" show that few of them even understand why those questions are important.
Eventually the potential buyer list shrinks down to 100 people, and the shop is faced with pricing a head at $3,000 complete to get any money back at all.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
I think it is due to having the push rods on the other side. No way to get ports past them.

Like all V8 heads...?

H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
All of the answers are true. As I move slowly through this, I look forward to using your knowledge of this engine and resources. I thank you all again. I'm installing the rings right now. My gaps are about to their maximum, but It's only a cruiser. I'll get more particular when I build a good one.

Contributor
Contributor
My cylinders are worn too but I used Total Seal gapless 2nd rings to keep leak down under control.. its gotta be better than std rings. I've used them before in high performance builds, but not in a worn cylinder where rig gaps go past maximum spec. Kind of a band aid but my pistons are maybe 10k miles old and I try to keep build cost under control.. failing miserably.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 336 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available