Print Thread
Rate Thread
#75687 06/24/13 04:51 PM
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
I bought a set of Sealed Power E-217X standard bore cast iron rings. They came with 12 compression rings separated into two groups of 6. One set has bright white paint on the ends, and a strong dimple on top. The other set has cream white ends, and a faint dimple on top. If you hold one of each together, there is a difference in the static gap. which is the top ring and which is bottom? I called Sealed Power customer service, and they told me that all 12 rings are identical. Uh, no they're not. He finally advised that whichever one had the tighter gap should be in the top land, but according to his data, they should have all been the same ring

H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
does everyone here have the same view?

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Seems reasonable.

Better question is, are the gaps appropriate for your bore?

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
well honestly, my bore is at its max size. My gaps are a little larger than I'd like, but the alternative is to bore, new pistons, oversize rings......and being that these blocks are hard to find, I don't want to bore until I have to. I just thought it was odd that Sealed Power's data doesn't match what was in the box. Problem is now I have to pull a piston out, and swap the rings on that on because I have them the other way around.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Usually the top ring has a bevel machined on the same top inside edge as the dot on top. In other words, dot and chamfer face up on top ring, the second ring is often dot up and chamfer on bottom inside edge of ring pointing down.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
both of these rings have a dimple(dot) on the top side(same side as the bevel). One set has a prominent dimple, one set is very faint. There was no paperwork in the package to say which was the top ring, and which was the second.

Contributor
Contributor
I was facing the same thing, somewhat worn cylinders and honed twice, ridge removed and pretty big gaps, but not quite to the point of MUST bore.... And the pistons were only 3 years old (a few thousand miles) so I went with Total Seal gapless 2nd rings to minimize blowby... Maybe too late for you to change your plans though. Thought I'd throw it out there for posterity \:\)

See what the end gap is with each ring pushed down the cylinder by itself about 1" deep, use the piston to square the ring inside the cylinder. If the end gaps are identical, then maybe it doesn't matter. The only thing different would then be the pre-tension when cold. I wouldn't know for sure which one to put on top if the cross section profiles are identical. Never had this problem. All the rings I ever installed came clearly labeled 1st and 2nd groove, if memory serves.

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
I,D RETURN THEM AND GET ANOTHER SET........ THEN GET NEXT SIZE BIGGER AND FILE FIT THEM.

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
I agree wit bcowan return get a little ring grinder from the store or buddy and fille some to fit

Josh
72 gmc lwb air ride 5 speed (soon) turbo 292 II# 6102

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 364 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available