Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I was wondering whats a good exhaust to put on a 292 to make it sound muscular??

Any suggetions would help

THANKS><
MATT!

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Flowmasters. You want muscular and low go with the 40 series Delta.

I plan on doing the single in-dual out Flowmaster Delta. Off the headers I'll do 2-into-1 via 'Y' pipe, then out of the Flowmaster 2" duals all the way out.

If you're after the sound I think you after, then I don't recommend duals all the way out. Besides being more expensive there won't be any performance benefit for your mild/stock 292. Plus I've been told that if you don't have a balance pipe you get a very lumpy sound, kinda like a v8 with a bad valve.

Flowmaster Original Series will give you a throaty sound but it'll be rather harshly loud, in my opinion, and not as deep as the Deltas. If you go to the Flowmaster site (http://www.flowmastermufflers.com) they have sound bits that allows you to hear what their mufflers sound like on actual vehicle applications. Some of the sound clips give you a "driving by" sound, a revving up sound and an "interior" sound. Really cool!

-magic mike-

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
hello....

[This message has been edited by LeeLites (edited 08-07-2003).]

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
FLOWMASTER--> Camaro 2 Chamber or Silverado 2 chamber. Both can bellow rambunctious sounds like a champ!

C-TOWN

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Matt,

Opinions are like "you-know-what", everyone has one. I've been into sixes since the 50s and still think a set of dual exhausts, running from a split exhaust manifold or headers, sound the best with good glass-pack mufflers, set up close as possible to the front and long 2" pipes out the back. That's the classic method of gettting that sweet six cylinder sound. To me, those Flowmaster mufflers sound like a forklift in a tunnel!

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
When I ran Mufflers I had duals they where the Thrush turbos 400 and also had a set of 300 series Both sounded Great not to loud but nice deep tone and everyone thought I had that vthing lol And at the time when i was driveing on the street and just racing on the week ends ETs where no different with or with out them. & stock 3:08 gears at that time. just more food for thought & run what you like/makes you happy. To me the flow masters are to heavy and i don't care for the sound. But I have never heard a set on a L6. I have heard the super trap mufflers They didn't sound to bad But i still liked my Thrush better . But everyone has their own taste. hope this helps.}[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
I've heard folks say, "It sounds like a V8." But, to me nothing sounds better, or more unique than a sweet set of duals on a six. I can't understand how anyone could mistake the difference.

I installed a set of flowmasters on my brother-in-law's 258 Jeep. They sounded "tinny" to me and took up more room than a set of round fiberglass mufflers would. He didn't like the sound of 'em either, but paid too much for them to take 'em off.

One of the sweetest sounding sixes I ever heard was a '53 plymouth six with dual-outlet cast iron headers and Belond mufflers. 2" pipes ran out the rear. Belond mufflers were popular in Florida, back in the 50s. They were just a little quieter than Smitty's; I guess they're long gone, now.

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Matt,

To put an end to this go to the Flowmaster site, listen to the sound bites of the 40 series Originals and the 40 series Delta (my favorite) and see what you think. Post your opinion here please. I truly believe one of those will fit your bill. You have a 66 chevy truck. So do I. Muffler size is not an issue there.

-magic mike-

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I heard a Chevy six with Flowmasters on it once. In my opinion they sounded awful. Your mileage may vary.
Jim R

Jim - #2130
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hey, i have heard a few sounds of couple of in-line sixs with flowmaster and they sound good to me but if anyone wants to send some sounds to me just post them up thanks!

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
 Quote:
i have heard a few sounds of couple of in-line sixs with flowmaster and they sound good to me

That's all that really matters. What sounds good to you. After all, it's your money and you'll be the one who will have to live with the end result.

Seems like you've answered your own question.

-magic mike-

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
I just put a single 3" Flowmaster on my 250 this weekend that I had from another engine. I used 2" from the manifold to the muffler and 2 1/2" from the mufler back with a 3" baffeled tip. This sounds great at idle!! But under load it has that can sound. But it sounds great at idle!

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
I'm running a 308 inch Hudson hornet flathead 6 in my wife's '40 Hudson 2dr sedan. 402 lift 280 duration (advertised) cam, Edelbrock 500cfm carb, GM HEI ignition, and Clifford dual outlet tube headers. my exhaust is two 2" tubes into a Y collector, through a Flowmaster two chamber muffler, and a single 2 1/2" pipe all the way out the back. It sounds really good. Most comments are something like, " It doesn't sound like a V8, but I never heard a flathead six that sounded like that either"

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
this topic comes up frequently and everyone talks about how great this set up sounds or that set up, but there never seem to be any sound clips. I have only heard one non-stock inline engine in person and thought it sounded terrible (216, corvette exhaust manifold, straight pipes), but I KNOW they can sound great. I will soon be getting my hopped up 235 on the road and need to choose mufflers, so I am VERY interested in this topic. The flowmaster site only has clips of V8s.

I volunteer to host any non-stock inline engine sound clips on my site so that Inliners can go and hear what various engines sound like in various combinations. Chevys, Fords, Hudsons, Buicks, the more the merrier. Just get me the clips and I'll put them up for public use.
Hellfish122@yahoo.com

joe

------------------
'50 Chevy Fleetline DeLuxe ('55 235)
'48 Chevy Fleetmaster coupe ('60 235)
Chicago
http://www.geocities.com/hellfish122

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
'48 Chevy Fleetmaster coupe (late 261)
Chicago
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's a clip from Tom Langdon's site:
GMC noise

This is a 302 Jimmy with headers, long glasspack mufflers as far forward as possible, and very long tailpipes down each side. Tom was after the old-time "RAPPP" sound on overrun.

This sounds a lot like my first 216 with a split manifold and cheap JCW glass packs.I loved the sound then, but the cops didn't. My latest try uses 40" glasspacks, separate tailpipes both down the passenger side, exiting behind the rear wheel. That provides more of a Jaguar/Austin Healey sound, but in a much deeper pitch. No "RAPPP" though..The glasspacks get louder with use though, and I'm ready for something a little quieter. I might add a crossover pipe upstream of the mufflers.

Patrick's new catalog shows a similar system but all in polished stainless and using a single Bassani 2 in/2 out muffler. He actually had a prototype of this on his own truck in Denver a couple of years ago. I thought it sounded a lot like mine, but maybe a little quieter.

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited 08-06-2003).]

S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
Dany,

I would love to hear more about how your 2 into 1 setup sounds, or better yet, a recording!
I am working on a split manifold for my Ford flathead 6, and have a certain tone in mind, more like an old Jag or a 240Z. I think the 2 > 1 or 2 > 2(one muffler) is a better way to get this sound, rather than straight duals, but I am looking for confirmation. I heard an old Jag MK II with 3.8 L6 that sounded just like what I am looking for, a nice growl, but not the blaaat or raaap from straight duals. Hard to describe, but I have a definite sound in mind. I think the Aston Martin DB5 from James bond movies has a similar sound, I will need to get Goldeneye again for the car chase scene at the start of the film to confirm this...

Nick

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Someone in an earlier post (much, much earlier) had suggested using a chambered corvette muffler. If i remember correctly, his description sounded like the sound you're looking for. Of course, there were no sound clips. Check the archives for the post.

RapRap, did you ever get your sound experiments recorded? I'd be happy to host them for everyone to hear.

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
Subbass32- For what's it worth I have a 67' OHC Sprint Firebird. It's now a 301, but for many years it was a 230 with Clifford's long style headers, hot cam and glass packs. It had the exact sound you are after. It had dual exhaust all the way through.

Now that's it's a 301 it has lost a little of that 'Jag' sound. I am installing a new exhaust system with cut-outs I do not have room for my glass packs so I plan on running some spin tech mufflers with a 2 1/2 pipe size all the way through. My current size a only 2" and my new muffler guys feels my narrow glass packs are very restrictive.

PS. all the recordings of different mufflers (from V8's) don't mean dick when trying to figure out what sounds right for a Inline 6.

------------------
-HOT OHC

[This message has been edited by HOT OHC (edited 08-09-2003).]

-HOT OHC
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
I had a 68 Firebird with 250, Clifford headers and glass packs, jeez almost 20 years ago now, and it was a cool sounding car, but it was somewhat more aggressive than what I am wanting to get out of the flattie. Not to mention that the cammer would easily spin 68-7000 rpm, while the Ford rarely sees 3000! How did you get 301 cid anyway, and what carb setup do you use?

Oh, and no kidding on the muffler recordings.
I think Flowmaster has one 3.8 V6 F body on their crossflow page. I had trouble getting it to work, tho.

Nick

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Nick, I have no idea how to put sounds on the computer, but if you want, I will make a short video tape, (vhs) and mail it to you, so you can see and hear what I have... Let me know.

Dany

H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
Nick- I dropped a 292 crank into my 230 and bored it out a little too with custom made Arias pistons to get to 301 cubes. I am running 3 side draft DCOE 45 series weber carbs. They are actually on the small size. I really need a 48 series. Here are some pics: http://jetson63.tripod.com/hotohc67firebirdsprint/id8.html

------------------
-HOT OHC

-HOT OHC
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
Sweeet! Back in the day I had thoughts of the 3 X Weber setup, but the cost and space issue held me back. It didnt appear to me that the carbs/manifold would clear the power brake booster. I also had wondered about an OHC head on a 292, or a 292 crank in a cammer block. You are living my dreams of 1984, man!! What are spin tech mufflers? I would agree that 2 in glasspacks are probably not SOTA when it comes to flow.

Nick

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hellfish-

You are correct. I used the Chambered pipes off a corvette's side exhaust system and they work fantastic. I don't know how many times I've told that "I thought is was a V-8!"
To hear the Pipes and See the car in action, go to; www.large image .com/raprap.html

Click on "Celebrity Car" & "Modifications"

If you din't have a DSL line, it might take a while to download, but once it's down loaded, it replays instantly. Well worth the wait!

RapRap
1940 Chevy Coupe

H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
Nick- You are correct, the carbs will not clear a power booster. I have manual brakes now but will at sometime go with a hydroboost set up: http://www.hydroboost.com/

I want to put a air box (ram air set-up) over my 3 webers so I will need to move my master cylinder outward 1 1/2": http://www.twminduction.com/airbox.htm

Spin Tech mufflers http://www.spintechmufflers.com/

I have had my Firebird since 1980, but did not try the 6pac till 89' and stroking it 1 1/2 years ago.

------------------
-HOT OHC

-HOT OHC
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry, no space between the words. Try this link.

www.largeimage.com/raprap.html

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Thanks guys! I've been out of town, but I'll start working on the site ASAP.

RapRap (or anyone else), are you going to the Cheaters' show in Milwaukee on Saturday? My cars are out of commission, but I'm still going.

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 276 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available