Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
I just wanted to give a huge thank you to everyone who has helped me with getting my engine rebuilt. I have been working on SBC's for years, this is my first inline 6 (250) and I had a lot of questions and ran into a number of issues during the tear down and rebuild.

I got the engine fired up and so far things seem to be okay. Doing some minor tweaking but should have it on the road this weekend. I wanted to say thanks and share a couple pics of the finished product. Here ya go...

And the car it's in

And the custom made Speedhut gauges to keep an eye on everything

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Very nice. Clean and crisp. Actually your wagon is all good.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
WOW, nice job!
Where'd you get the gages (especially the center cluster, clever job, looks factory!)
How bout some details on the car, carb (390?), head work, cam, exhaust, compression? Turbo350? Rear? Weight (I'd guess 3050 curb?)
I remember when hardtops were cheap (and often in the junkyard) and wagons were parts cars. Not any more! Good save.

C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Thanks guys. The gauges are made by Speedhut and I actually designed them myself. All Speedhut gauges are custom built to order. I was trying to get a "factory" look but with a modern gauge package. I am really happy how they turned out.

As for the car, '64 Chevy II 100 series. .040" over 250 that had been rebuilt and had only 5300 miles before I had engine problems. The previous owner was the one who had it installed. Cam is likely a stock specs, head I just cleaned up the valves and seats since it was recently rebuilt and looked good. Stock compression. ARB head studs, Clifford intake and headers. Holley 4160 390cfm carb. Dual 2 1/2" exhaust with Mangaflow mufflers. PO had swapped from a three on the tree to a TH350 trans. Rear end stock 8.2" and gears "should" be 3.23 as this was stock for the wagons.

The suck part is, I had the gauges for a week but had a show coming up before I would be able to install them. I had the engine issues happen on the way back from that car show. Had the gauges been installed, I likely would have caught the problem before damaging the engine. Oh well... it looks much better now!

Paint, disc brake conversion and wheel setup was done before me. Since I had the engine removed, I replaced the power booster/MC/prop valve with a correct Nova setup and rebent all new front lines, with SS braided flex lines.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Mike,
It looks nice! So how is it running? Got any video?

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
 Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Mike,
It looks nice! So how is it running? Got any video?

No video but I'll need to take one. I finally got things squared away yesterday and was driving it. Seems to be running well. I was dealing with a hot temp problem but found it was the sensor location. I moved it from the head back to the t-stat housing and temps are back to 180* on the gauge, which matches a temp probe I put into the coolant to verify temps.

Taking it to our first show tonight since having the engine die. Expecting it to run well and now I am not embarrassed to have the hood open. \:\)

BTW, likely will be hitting you up for a set of side covers. Since I want to coat them to match the valve cover, do you have any unpolished versions available?

Last edited by chevymike; 07/17/13 07:03 PM.
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
NICE WAGON.. THAT 250 WILL DO IT RIGHT...... WHAT TRANS DO YOU HAVE AND REAR AXLE RATIO ?

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
 Originally Posted By: bcowanwheels
NICE WAGON.. THAT 250 WILL DO IT RIGHT...... WHAT TRANS DO YOU HAVE AND REAR AXLE RATIO ?

Thanks.

TH350, rear end is stock which I think is a 3.36 for wagons but I haven't verified this.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available