Print Thread
Rate Thread
#75941 07/17/13 12:37 AM
W
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
W
is there any advantage to sleeving lifter bores in order to use later model lifters? I have a 235 and everything I've read says that they are terrible oilers. My thoughts are that going with a slightly smaller lifter would require less oil and possibly increase pressuse.

Any thoughts?

Chris

http://www.bhjproducts.com/bhj_content/products/liftersleeves/lbs.php

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Not practical for these engines. It requires a special boring jig that is expensive(most V8 applications used to be $600+ on the ones i've done) and that they will have to special make because its probably never been done before for these engines, and then special tooling to bore the lifter bores out and then a machine shop to perform the machine work to install them using the special boring jig and tooling and then honed to fit the lifters you want to use in them. Just not cost effective to do just one engine.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
W
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
W
It was just an idea. I was thumbing through my CompCams catalog and it got me thinking. It's often dangerous when that happens. The biggest problem I see with it, is redrilling and deburring the oil ports after the sleeves are installed. Again, more machine work.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You can drill the holes for the oil ports in the bushings before you install them in the block.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
If I were going to that much effort, it would be a roller when I was done.

As I recall, someone makes roller tappets large enough, it's just that hey re keyed, so you have to drill a raceway for them.

That and they're solid, from what I was reading into the OP's post, he might want hydraulics, not a bad goal, but a properly set up solid should last quite a while; roller should last indefinitely with proper lubrication.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
I could be all wet here, but I believe that Detroit 6-71 lifters are the same dia. as gmc inline and they are roller tipped. I thought about trying this but theirs a lot involved to make it work. and i'm not sure the 6-71 lifter would hold up to the added rpm for one

W
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
W
Seems as though Jesel has some crazy stuff when it comes to lifters and valvetrain. Their dog bone and keys lifters have potential. Of course I don't really see the practicallity in putting them in a Stovebolt engine. I can only imagine what they cost.

http://www.jesel.com/innovation/lifters/keyway.html

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I have 2 sets of roller lifters. one new (Crower) and one old (Herbert). Would not start a roller cam until I had the lifters. I believe them to be .990 and as said above sleaving them down would be a pain. If I were to be doing it I'd bore out to the 1.062 or 1.095 that Jessel has. (others too)...Nothing is inexpensive these days...............Good Luck.

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 162 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available