Print Thread
Rate Thread
#75933 07/16/13 09:32 PM
M
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
so after oh so many years of looking and oh so much money I finally got a wayne 12 port head. With no regard as to where I was going to get the gaskets. Any ideas?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I don't know which gaskets you are concerned about. Intake/exhaust or head gasket?

Intake gasket material can be bought in bulk and the ports and bolt locations easily transferred from the head you are using.

Head gaskets can be made from dead soft copper along with O-ringing the block, but for the street a better choice may be to re-purpose a stock type laminated gasket with mods needed for coolant passages, etc.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
M
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
so far I have found Molina gaskets can make custom gaskets for relatively cheap, I have a feeling Flatout gaskets has made them before, but I missed his return call. Just in case anyone is wondering.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Since the 12 Port heads were never really largely produced, I doubt seriously that any company has ever tooled up to produce any product for them, and that its sort of a "do it yourself" type of thing. The head gasket will be the same as stock,same for the valve cover probably, but the intake and exhaust gaskets can be made simply from a sheet of gasket material available from any auto parts store as the FTF said.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
M
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
I guess I will go with Molina, for the head and exhaust gaskets. The head gaskets for the stock head don't really work with the 12 port, as the holes for the cylinders are really not comparable to the combustion chamber in the 12 port, and I don't really have the resources to make a nice sandwiched exhaust gasket the way they can. They are fairly cheap, (for a professional custom gasket) if anyone else needs custom gaskets.

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
So where is Molina Gaskets? Contact info?

What type of head gasket are they making for you? Composition? Copper?

What's the cost & turn around time for your one-off?

M
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
I think they are in California, I just googled them and got their number. The head gasket would be $130-$190 depending on what they make it out of, The high end is copper, asbestos, copper. I didn't ask the cost of the other gaskets, but given the reasonable rate for the expensive one, it can't be too bad. I don't know the turn around, I have at least 2 years before I use that head any way. Yeah, I know it is quite a lot more than you would pay at auto zone, but anything that you do with one of these heads it appears is going to be expensive. I paid more for the head than I did for the truck. So at this point another few hundred dollars is pretty much irrelevant.

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
That's not bad for a custom composition gasket. Usually pay around $100 for a standard solid copper.

Let us know how it turns out when you get the gaskets.

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Not sure if he's still around, but I thought Fontanna was still selling the occasional 12 port for a GMC.

I wonder what he uses for gaskets?

For that matter, I wonder how you get in touch with him?

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I think the GMC engine can use a regular OEM style gasket. I forgot about the Stovebolt stock head and the 12 port for it having different chamber shapes and probably needing a different gasket for that reason.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
M
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
as far as gmc heads, I don't know. But sissels automotive is making 12 ports for late chevy (292?) They look really nice.

Last edited by mutant216; 07/20/13 07:35 AM.
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Don Ferguson has Wayne 12 port GMC head gaskets. I do not know the material.

I have a small supply of Wayne 12 port Head gaskets in copper. e-mail me if you are still looking.

Inliner 6010

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 362 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available