Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
Just got this recently. It is not usable the way it is.

Not exactly sure what I am going to do with it.

I am thinking to make a mock-up engine & fab an up-pipe & down pipe to fit in my Camaro & should be able to fit other chassis.

It is from a 1981 Turbo Trans Am 301 4.9 Liter turbo V-8 car.

I figure it might be a little more suitable(I.E. bigger turbo) for more power on a stock style 250 engine than an older 3.8 turbo V-6 draw through set-up.

This will be another slow project. Will work on it in my little spare time I have.

I have been suggesting for members here to bolt on one of these turbo set-ups for fairly cheap turbo install & want to see first hand what all is entailed to do so. Can't be too hard.
Here are some pics.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
With the Q-jet, it would look right at home on a OHC Pontiac engine. Wonder if anyone has ever turbo'd one of those engines.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
I have seen years ago a Ford Maverick 6 draw through turbo set-up @ a Pomona swap meet.
http://www.pomonaswapmeet.com/

Quick question, what is the stock 1 bbl intake manifold able to bore larger the inside hole & not bore into the stove bolt exhaust heat section?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have a stock intake cut open to take some internal measurements for my 2 BBL intake, i'll look at it and see. Might be able to post a pic of it also. It'll be tomorrow afternoon though.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Here are pictures of the stock manifold I modified for the same turbo setup. I used the stock rear hole to locate the other two. I did get into the exhaust heat chamber and had to fill it in; Also there is little metal for threads on the two new holes but it will work. It would be easier to cut the center from a 4bbl manifold, make an adapter plate, and convert it to water heat.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Here are pictures of the stock manifold I modified for the same turbo setup. I used the stock rear hole to locate the other two. I did get into the exhaust heat chamber and had to fill it in; Also there is little metal for threads on the two new holes but it will work. It would be easier to cut the center from a 4bbl manifold, make an adapter plate, and convert it to water heat.

Thanks for that Beater.
That is the manifold I want to use. Want to trade your Offy for a Clifford? Your engine is a 292? The Clifford would be better suited for a larger displacement engine such as the Clifford. BTW, I have one. The Clifford intake would match your valve cover also.
Let me know.
Forgot to ask, where exactly did you get into the heat section on the manifold? Near the original stud you reused?
Thank you.
MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hank, I'll have to pull it out and look. I Think that by using the hole closest to the head to locate the other two holes it moved the center of the throat out. It might not have gone through if it had remained centered. It might work to bore and sleeve it. An adapter with a tapered hole could also work.

I don't know if you"d want that Offy. I didn't do a very clean job of cutting the center out of it.Nothing that would show or hurt anything. It's something to think about.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
Beater,
as long as the rest of the intake is OK I think a trade would be fine.

You are running a 292 correct?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
I have a stock intake cut open to take some internal measurements for my 2 BBL intake, i'll look at it and see. Might be able to post a pic of it also. It'll be tomorrow afternoon though.

Thanks CNC,
that would be excellent to post a pic.
No rush, when it's convenient for you.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
No problem Hank. It looks as if you only have a little over .100" of wall thickness before you get into trouble. Thats also not taking into account any core shift that you might encounter.

M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
CNC,
thanks so much.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hank, yes 292. If you prefer to work with the Offy and want to trade the Clifford I'm game. For my use the difference in the two won't matter. How do you want to do it? PM me an address and I'll send it. If you want to do the deal send me the Clifford, if not send the Offy back. If you are not in a hurry my kid might be up here fairly soon and could drop it by or I might bring it down by myself on my next visit to him. Lots of options, all are easy. Beater

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 09/14/13 11:50 PM.

M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
Here is my Clifford intake. The condition it is in is the way I got it.
The bung for tapping & fitting a vacuum nipple was welded.

The 4 hole section was cut out also & could use some more removal of material if needed.

Here are some pics.

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Good enough for me. You know I never get anything put together anyway. I like the "looks" of the Clifford and like you said it matches my valve cover. \:D

M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
Sounds like me, never get anything together & start more projects. \:D

I will PM you.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
Some new pics. The Clifford, I will be sending to Beater.

Just by looking at the manifolds side by side you can see just how huge the runners are are on the Clifford. Hence low port velocity. Weaker signal to a carb. JMO

I never really measured the height difference where the carb mounts, but by looking by eye, it looks like the Clifford would mount a carb or TB about 1/2" higher?

Anyone actually measure the height difference?
Thanks

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I finally was able to get down the mountain and pick up the Clifford yesterday. Just holding it and looking inside it is easy to tell that the Clifford is much bigger. The Offey was not that clean when Hank got it. This was a fun trade, both guys got what they wanted and some shippers made a few bucks. It makes me want to get back to the Injected turbo 292 project. Remember the 4 piles into 1 thread?

M
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
M
Do it Beater!

The mega squirt & am sure is intimidating.

All you really need is some help, & for me , help over the phone does not cut it when it comes to fueling tables, input values in table etc.

I thought I would have never been able to tune my Syclones stock factory ECU.
But thanks to a great friend, he helped me out tremendously & we both actually learned as we were getting more & more involved with it.

I had tried a few different laptops, that would not even connect to the cars ECU, it just would not communicate to each other.

I had bought an old used Dell laptop from a co-worker & everything worked. I had also used my nieces HP laptop & that worked also, but I could only use it in short spurts as she was needed it for College. Jus saying, it was really frustrating!

That was a good trade transaction. Thanks.
We should have a trader rating on the BB here.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Efi-diy has been really the driving force the last couple of years. We almost had the 270 in the '53 pickup ready to do a more permanent MS install this year at Bonneville but the two house remodels at my summer and are munching on the Fall. I will be able to get the wire harness and laptop issues done this winter. Marc has a files of the demo from San Antonio that will get me started. I can play with it enough to get to Bonneville next year and I think he will help me fine tune it. The 270 tune will be close enough to start with on the 92 when it finally goes into the '68 flatbed. There are no straight lines from here to the ends of my projects. \:\( My main concern is the draw through turbo with the throttle body injection. I'll run it without the turbo first.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (47Thriftmaster250, 41 Coupe), 344 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available