Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It's not too late for you, you're young. See you tomorrow. Funny I drove that route back from Amarillo two weeks ago. Tom

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Pete and his dad Tim came through today on their way to get Pete to school in Indiana. We had lunch and a nice visit. Great kid and a great dad. Don, they are headed your way via Route 66/I-40 and want to meet you.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Whooo hoooooo

Josh
72 gmc lwb air ride 5 speed (soon) turbo 292 II# 6102
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Sorry for the late update guys. It's been kind of hectic around here. My first day was today. Things have been going well, just busy! If you don't mind straying from the '40 Chevrolet topic for a bit, I'd like to share my trip with you guys. After we left you, Beater, things went a little astray. Here goes:

Daily Log:

Originally Posted By: BlackJackPG
Day One: California to Indiana.

Well, my dad and I left Sonoma around 7:00 am this morning in the Jeep and headed North to an undisclosed part of Nevada to meet Beater. (Not sure if you want you location out there, Beater) After that slight detour, we blasted South towards Vegas. Things were going well until around 4:00 pm this after noon when I went to pass a semi in the Central Nevada high deserts. At that point, the power steering motor (which had been grinding and wining all day from the heat) exploded. It shredded the fan belt which powers all auxiliary functions of the motor; Generator, Water pump, Air Conditioner pump, Fuel Injector pump and of course the Power Steering Pump. The pulley that powers the power steering pump off the fan belt also shot out, nailing the hood and putting a nice ding in it. It then continued down, damaging the oil filter. We pulled over, waited until a cop showed up, (because we had no cell reception) called a tow truck and here we are. Tonopah, Nevada in the "Frontier City Hotel" (Dirty) We have a new power steering motor being over-night shipped to us. Will be here 10:30 tomorrow morning. Then we'll hop in and hot tail it to Indiana. It's always an adventure!

Day Two: California to Indiana.

So this morning we woke up and walked two miles to one of three inhabited business buildings in Tonopah, Nevada. The NAPA Auto Parts. We then bought all kinds of gear to fix the jeep and keep it running through the rest of the trip. Anti-freeze, oil, power steering fluid, oil filter wrench, oil filter, funnel, tray, etc. Then we got to talking about our new power steering pump which would be there in a few hours and realized it does not come with a pulley! They came separately. We had no way to spin the pump! So, we left, scowled around some abandoned lots looking for a Jeep of a similar year to scavenge a pulley from and came up with nothing. Then hauled all our junk from NAPA the two miles back to the lot. Plan B was to find a shorter fan belt and bypass the power steering all together. We were lucky to find one at the Cal-Nevada towing shop where the Jeep was towed and impounded for the night. We put it all together, put our new power steering pump in for the heck of it and hit the road! Driving with the power steering pump disconnected is like trying to drive with the wheels set in concrete. It's tough. We made it another 30 miles until the Jeep started over heating. Bad. So we pulled over, let it cool down, refilled the radiator reservoir and kept going. Another 5 miles and it was puking out all the coolant again. So we stopped, pulled the hood off to improve ventilation and pressed on. Another 3 miles left us puking coolant everywhere again. So, we pulled the thermostat out which regulates the flow of water going from the engine to the radiator. Locked shut. We jerry rigged it so water could get through and to the radiator and plowed on! That got us 10 more miles before it overheated yet again! We stopped, cooled off, refilled and tried one more time. Two more miles and we were out of ideas. We sat there for a while, letting it cool, and when we tried to start the Jeep, it wouldn't fire. We let it sit a little longer, still nothing. Then it started turning over weird like some of the cylinders had no compression, one would fire, and the rest would just spin. We let it sit a little longer, tried again and it didn't budge. The motor was seized. The Jeep was dead.

For the second time in two days we waited for a policeman to drive by (no cell reception) and had him radio for a wrecker. We asked the policeman where we were. 45 miles North of Vegas! We were near something now! We have options! So we got towed to Vegas, dropped off at a motel and the Jeep continued on to yet another impound lot. Then we got back on foot and looked around Las Vegas for used cars or rental cars. We struck out and met up with my cousin who's currently working there and had dinner. (Forgot to mention, that was the first time my dad and I had eaten all day!) My cousin was also nice enough to give us a ride back to the motel. So here I am, looking at E-bay listings for another car; and striking out at that too. It looks like we are going to have to get a rental car, or Uhaul pickup. Either way, we'll make it! Just happy to be in a place where we have options. Whether it's catching a bus, renting a car, or hopping on an airplane. I normally hate populated areas, but in this situation, I couldn't wish for a better spot!

Day Three: California to Indiana.

Today was fairly uneventful. We woke up, rented some big Nissan from Hertz and drove to the impound lot to get the stuff out of the Jeep. It was a Dog the Bounty Hunter- type operation with big toothless, tattooed monsters for employees. After convincing them that we were decent people, actually owned our car (not a bank repo) and weren't going to throw a hissy fit; they let us get our junk out of the Jeep and get going! Before we left, we tried to start the Jeep one last time. It had un-seized, but only sputtered ran for a moment, then died. It was done. Things were knocking inside and only one or two cylinders were getting any compression. I snapped one last photo, tear in eye, of the old Heep before we left it for good. We later arranged for the local "Pick-a-Part" to come pick it up, tow it back to their scrap yard to either be crushed or dis-assembled and sold as parts.

Then we hit the road in our rental. We drove all day. From 11:00am to 12:40 at night. (2:40am local time.) Through the rest of Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and half of Texas. We are now in Armarillo, Texas bunked up for the night.

Final Statements: I'm really going to miss that old Jeep. Although it's been a constant struggle keeping it on the road since the day I bought it, it always seemed to start up and pull through when I needed it most. It just rolled over 226,000 miles before it died; unheard of for these models with this engine! For $2,700 bucks on the side of the road, not bad. Not bad at all.

Day Four: California to Indiana.

Another long day. Drive, drive, drive! We drove through the second half of Texas, Oklahoma, had lunch with a close friend, then most of the way through Missouri. We are just shy of St. Louis, MO right now and decided to hang it up for the night. West Lafayette, Indiana is 5 hours away. We'll be there mid-day tomorrow.

The gas prices are awesome!

Keep in mind, us toads from California are used to $4.00/gallon gas prices (Eco Ethanol garbage). Seeing $3.19 plastered on a sign is like finding Sasquach!

Day Five: California to Indiana

We made it alive! Sonoma, Ca to West Lafayette, In. 2,423 miles. Five Days! What a trip! We arrived mid-day Saturday and were immediately bombarded by loud music and screaming people. Gotta love the welcoming committees. Could be worse, we could still be in Tonopah! Anyway, just wanted to let you all know that ol' Petey is still kicking and not all shriveled up in the middle of some desert! I hope you guys enjoyed the story, I sure did!

It's always an adventure!

Pete

P.S. Beater: It was a pleasure meeting you and getting to drool all over your pickup. I love it. I hope we can get together another time; maybe this time in the '40!

Last edited by BlackJackPG; 08/19/13 07:12 PM.

--Peter Gray: #6073--

"If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Now i see why i have not hearn tell one word from you until this minute. You have paid some dues travelin' cross-country in a "late-model" motor vehicle. You know what it is to be on the side of the road, miles from nowhere, and even more miles from home.

For a while now, you may be too busy to do much drivin'. We'll see if we can get you to the North Central Inliners picnic if you still want to go. All will be glad to see you.

When you take that pretty '40 out on the road, cross-country, you know what you'll want to certify beforehand . . . and i daresay there'll be no "power steering" anywhere in sight, except the power in your two arms!

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Pete, Glad you are safe. When Jake and I took the Stude to Texas the first time we lost the fuel pump just on the other side of Goldfield. We did get cell service and called for a tow truck. It was the same outfit from Tonopah. The same Napa store had a Studebaker fuel pump. The guys at the tow place let me use their shop and our tools to modify the pump for the supercharger and we were on the road the next morning. The car was vapor locking so bad we could not pull the long grade out side of Goldfield. So we looked around town and found a guy who had some insulation and wooden clothes pins which in insisted on giving us although he was selling them in a yard sale. We put the insulation around the fuel pump and poured water on it and hit the road again. That is one of the things I fixed when we got to Lubbock and Jake started classes. Welcome to the club, the busted by the road club. \:D

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Hahaha! Wow! That Nevada high-desert is sure a killer! Those guys at the Cal-Nevada towing outfit are so nice. What a coincidence!

Wow,

Pete

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Next time I go through there I'll stop and let them know what they are part of. They really liked Jake's wagon. Oh, I forgot to say they loaned us a car to go to Napa for parts.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Please do! Yep I believe it! Those guys were great. We didn't really realize how nice they were until we went through the Las Vegas Repo yard.

Thanks!

Pete

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Glad you made it pete

Josh
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Thanks Josh! Glad to see your GMC coming along!

Pete

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I finally had the pleasure to meet Mr. Don Haymes in person for the annual North Central Inliners Picnic this weekend. What a gentleman. Him and his wife provided me with a level of hospitality that is hard to come by these days. I had a great time. Thank you Don!

As for the Picnic, it was a blast. Great group of guys with some truly incredible machinery. I also had the pleasure to meet Mr. Bob Garrett, the Chapter Head, in person. He brought down his '48 Chevy Coupe w/ 261 (bored to 270.) That thing was nuts! Mr. Garrett is a true expert in the subject of inline sixes and was a pleasure to talk to, or rather, listen to.

As far as '40 Chevy updates, progress has been slow. I've been keeping in contact with my grandpa via daily evening telephone calls, and he hasn't had much time to work on the car. He was able to go pick up our grille from the chromers which he says "shines like a full moon in the night sky", but otherwise not much has got done. That's fine though because it's really a project for "us" not just him. I can't wait to get back there, finish it up and "break in" those rear tires!

Only three more months!

Pete

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Good to hear from you Pete. Glad you are hooked up with Inliners back there. It will help your Dad sleep nights next year.

"Only three more months." Remember if you get homesick we are just a keyboard away. Were you at the game yesterday?

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
The North Central Picnic was a good time for all who came the distance to Westerville, and that was a good number. We were missing Big Bill and Tom Langdon and Elmer Stange and some more, but the machinery was interesting to see and hear, the food was first-rate, and the conversations went on for hours. Pete was soaking up every word, and he is showing himself to be a fine young man in every way, one we were glad to have in the house.

For his annual seminar on makin' 'em run and keepin' 'em runnin', Bob Garrett had 11-inch clutches (and a 139-tooth flywheel!), 500 cfm two-barrel Holley carburetors with conventional and progressive venturis, and two different McGurk camshafts for 235/261 Chevrolets. Bob and Alice do some heavy lifting to make the annual picnic happen for the pleasure and education of North Central Inliners, and all of us are grateful for their labour.

We are all glad that Pete has joined us in the North Central region, and we hope he will stick around when Purdue is through with him. He's learning every day. Wherever he is, he will be an asset.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Beater: I am to. It was really nice to finally make some contacts with people who share interests with me. Here at school, it seems like the main interests revolve around video games and anything wearing a skirt. Not so much vintage automobiles. I had a great time and am very grateful that Don gave me the opportunity to join him.

Don: All I can say is thank you! I don't plan on leaving any time soon. I like it around here. The "hard-working" and "self-sufficient" mentality, as well as the many job opportunities in the automotive field, make this a place that I would be pleased to call home. I'll be here as long as you guys will let me!

Thanks!

Pete

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
"anything wearing a skirt" Glad you didn't go to San Francisco State. \:D

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Lmao beater thats holarious you know what skirts i really like?

The ones covering rear wheels;)

Josh
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Hahaha! You guys are too funny!

Thanks!

Pete

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Pete how are things going buddy? Getting close to winter break its coming fast!!

Can't wait for you to be back in the shop

I am sure i can soeak for all of us when i say that we need updates!!!

Happy inlining!

Josh
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Josh!

I'm doing just fine! I'm alive anyway, so I can't complain too much! They've been keeping me pretty busy around here lately, that's for sure!

Updates on the car (sorry, I haven't been keeping up):

Grandpa's been working on it slow but sure. Over the last few months, he's mounted all the fenders, lights, chrome, running boards and glass. He's also taken it over to the muffler shop to get an exhaust system built with dual 22" Smithy's. He says it quiet, but sound pretty good! Hopefully the glass packs will burn in a little because I want the thing loud! We've also got our upholsterer working on the interior, so that's coming along nicely.

As of now, Gramps is neck deep in a tangle of wires trying to hook everything up right. Probably one of the most tedious tasks on the car, but he'll get it figured out!

Anyhow, like I said it's coming along slow but sure! I can't wait to get back home over Winter Break and go to work. Only 5 weeks away! I'm sure Gramps is ready for a little help too! I think about both him and the car constantly. All of my classmates say that I talk way too much - both about my Grandpa and the car. They're probably right, I'm just having kind of a tough time being cooped up in this 11x11 box pounding on this computer all the time! Memories and thoughts of the future are what's been getting me by. They don't have to for much longer though!

Stay tuned, because things will be getting pretty interesting here in the next few weeks! Oh boy!

Here's all the pictures I have of it. More's been done since then:

Thanks!

Pete

P.S. Josh! You're Jimmy is coming along real nice! Congratulations!

Last edited by BlackJackPG; 11/09/13 03:56 PM.

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
When you are done with Gramps there is a '26 Chevy roadster here to build.

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Glad you had a great time at the North Central picnic. The guys there have forgot more than a lot of people will ever know when it comes to inlines. I am sorry that I wasn't there this year but hope to make it next year. My wife hasn't been able to walk since Sept 8 of 2012 but she is to under go surgery later this month and we hope by Spring she will be her old mean self and can travel. \:\) Don thanks for the kind mention it felt good to know I was missed. Did you ever find your title?
Wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to All

Last edited by big bill I.I.#4698; 11/16/13 08:18 PM.

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I look forward to meeting you next year, Big Bill! I hope all is well with you and your wife.

Well folks, the day we have been waiting for has finally come! Winter Break! Grandpa and I had our teary eyed reunion this morning. We have a grand total of 4 weeks to finish the car as well as roll around in the filth and soot covering the shop floor - something I have been looking forward to for the last 4 months! Work will resume as soon as the car is finished at the upholsterer some time next week.

More pictures are soon to come, however for now, I'll leave you with this:

It's great to be home!

Pete

P.S. Thanks for bearing with me guys! We'll be back on the intended topic of this thread shortly!

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Sweet! How's May 30th song go again. "Back home again in Indiana".
Where's Jim Nabors when you need him.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Good to hear from you Pete. That first hitch away at school is the toughest. Now you know how it works. Wednesday I became a granddad! I hope I last long enough to work on a car with him. Meanwhile I got a space cleared in the shop for the roadster just on time to fill it with my youngest son's broken Saturn. I got it finished yesterday and now my wife's Jeep needs attention, then the flatbed and the '53. Sometime in the Spring maybe?
I hope you get a bunch done on the '40. Maybe Grandpa needs to drive it around for a while to work the bugs out. \:D

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Well gentlemen, Gramps and I have spent the last week and a half twiddling our thumbs while the upholstery guys, I guess, are doing the same. We're still not sure why it's taking them so long. Hopefully they'll have it done some time before I go back to school, or die of old age. As of now, no more pictures of the car, or family photo shoots for that matter. Just wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and let you know that we're still here.

Drew:
Where's Jim Nabors? Why, there he is!
Back Home again in Indiana California!

Beater:
Good deal then! The worst hitch away is over with! It will never be easy, but we all have got to leave the nest at some point! Most of us anyway...

Holy toledo, Beater! That's got to feel great! A whole hearted congratulations from both me and my father. I'm sure you will last plenty long to get a car project in with him. You've seen what it looks like in my case, so make it happen! What a lucky young lad. It really is quite a blessing to have such great grandfathers like yourself. It will shape his whole life, just like it did mine.

Haha! I know the feeling. There's always something to be done! In our case, we had a little better timing. My grandpa, my father and I have been working on my dad's 1952 Dodge M37 Power Wagon while the '40 Chevy is away. This military 3/4 ton has been a continuous project for the last 2 years. There's always some bug in it. Kind of a funny story. We bought it in "restored," "perfect," and "flawless" condition but still have only driven it 50 or so miles. Most of them being put on while winching it on a trailer. Many a time have we declared it fixed only to have it die at a stoplight in the middle of town or something. It's the gift that just keeps giving. A real head scratcher. You'll get to it at some point. Think of it this way, you can't work on an old car if you don't have a reliable one to do parts house runs in!

Merry Christmas!

Pete

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Thanks for sharing with us!

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hey Pete, Just enjoy the time. We are in Ventura with the new grandson. It was in the 70s here on Christmas Day. We worked on my wire's Jeep in the driveway on Christmas Eve. Not like home!
My dad and I went to Tijuna in 1961 to have my '38 Ford coupe upholstered. It took 3 days and cost $60. The whole thing black tuck-n-roll and carpets. What a fun trip from Northern California to TJ and back. I was 16.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Believe me! Any time that is not spent doing schoolwork is heaven to me! I love it. It's nice to have some time off. That's got to be nice, spending Christmas with the new grandson. Did you get the Jeep fixed?

Love those stories! Love the road trips too!

Well, we dragged the Chevy home today! Finally done! The seats look magnificent. There are a few small rough spots that may need to be redone, but I'll hold my tongue for now! We can have them fixed later. At long last, I got to drive the thing! I off loaded the car from the trailer under it's own power and took the long way to turn it around and put it into the shop. I also got to put my foot into it and it definitely set me back in the seat a little bit. Loads of power! I love it! It's going to be a fantastic car! I also fiddled with the carburetors so it would idle okay and took this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWLV3D3GeF8&feature=youtu.be

Here's the pictures from the day. Not much left to be done!

Back in Business!

Thanks!

Pete

Last edited by BlackJackPG; 12/31/13 10:47 PM.

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That is the bluest car I have ever seen. You picked the best color for your '40. Upholstery looks good and it sounds great. How old were you the last time you gave grandpa a kiss? Sneak up on him and do it again. That man is a winner!

Christmas was really great. A grandchild is truly special. I hope Hank and I can build something. For now I'll get my kicks watching you and your grandpa.

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Very cool! Rap that thing. I really like that you had the seats done in a more traditional style.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Haha! It sure is! Hopefully the hubcaps will knock it down a bit. Definitely a very blue car!

We almost had the entire seats done with that greenish fabric. I'm glad we put some leather around the edges because it is kind of flimsy otherwise. I think it looks better too. Works well with that blue!

Progress from the last two days: Gramps has been busy so I have been in the shop alone. Naturally, I spent a good portion of that time sitting behind the wheel making "vroom" noises and shifting gears. But other than that I was able to make some covers for the rear shock absorber mounts and finish things up on the dash board.

Next big things to tackle are the flywheel cover on the underside of the bell housing and putting our temperature sensor in which requires an entire drain and refill of the water jacket. I also need to fit the chrome pieces to the front of the grill and the windshield divider. Then after that there is some wires to clean up and route properly. We have a cool shifter knob on the way. Some steering wheel work needs to be done. I also have plans for a modern radio behind the vintage screen and buttons. Etcetera, Etcetera, Etcetera. Beater, how does your HAMB signature go? "Real hot rods are black (or blue \:D ), a few are shiny, none are finished!" We still have lots to do, but hey, when I went in this morning and started it up, it fired first crank and never faltered. I love this car!

Thanks!

Pete

Last edited by BlackJackPG; 01/03/14 03:40 AM.

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That really looks nice!
Real hot rods are black. Real hot rodders are usually black and blue with skinned knuckles. If you think your hot rod is finished sell it to someone else and see what he thinks. \:o

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Haha. Very true. Your right, real hot rods are black. As far as I'm concerned, this car ain't leaving the family for as long as I can help it.

Well, no pictures from today; only news. Boy do I have news though. We took the Chevy on the road for the first time today! I drove it to a nearby gas station and back. It ran beautifully. There are a few rattles here and there, and the gas pedal is a little sticky (nothing to do with my twitchy right foot) but it's awesome! The one thing that struck me is how short the transmission gaps are. It's not a problem, it'll just keep the RPM's up. When the engine gets a little more broken in I can really give it the beans and get a feel for what it's going to be like when accelerating. For now, short trips around town will be the extent of things. Great car and lots of fun to be had! Let the break-in and breakdowns begin!

Thanks!

Pete

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
When do you go back to school? Are you taking the '40?

G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Great car (just tuning in), great story too! I'm looking forward to any more updated you have!

That clock in the glovebox door is sweeeet!

Graham M. Inilner #6168
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I go back on January 12th, so this Sunday. I'm making the best of it! It tears me apart to say it, but as of now it doesn't look like I'll ever be taking the Chevy back to Purdue with me. Dad wants a roll cage and 4 point seat belts for safety (and dually so) and Grandpa doesn't for originality sake. We are in a bit of a debacle. I'll keep working on both of them and see what comes of it. A bit of a bummer right now though.

Thanks Jager! We got that clock working when we took it out, but it isn't running right now for some reason. We'll get it sorted out. I love it too.

More progress from today: We hooked up the defroster and leaked about half a gallon of hot water under the brand new carpets in the car. Turns out that it was the input and output tubes being bent out of round. After re-rounding those we put it back in and don't think it's leaking any more. (Crossed fingers on that one.) Later we played around with the distributor and timing for a while. We still don't have it quite right though. Hey Beater, how do you time your pickup? We took our timing light and adjusted it so it was all lined up on the flywheel and it made it run like crap. It must be this new gasoline. Right now, we have it timed by ear, but it's not perfect. Anyone got any advice? Lastly, we did a tappet adjustment so now the rockers are not clattering anymore. .012 on the intakes and .020 on the exhaust according to a friend of ours. Does that sound about right?

We did a little more driving today and got a feel for how the car will do in traffic. We are okay temperature wise, but the head loads up pretty quick. Not a horrible thing, it just gave me an excuse to rev the motor every once and a while and do jackrabbit starts out of stoplights, but it's something to work on. We still have some adjustments to make on the carburetor so maybe leaning out the mixture a little bit will help. Lots of adjustments to make! As of now though, we're super happy with how things are going! No explosions or catastrophic failures yet (knocking on wood!)

Thanks!

Pete

P.S. Hey Beater! Any more news on your Roadster, or other members of the fleet for that matter?

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Pete, It sounds like the three of you have some "safety" issues to sort out. I'm not getting into that one.

There are two marks on the flywheel, a round one and a triangle. One is TDC the other is ignition timing. I forget which is which right now. I time mine by ear and keep playing with it until it runs right or I get sick of playing. My valve lash is less than what you are using.

I had a place cleaned in the shop for the roadster then my son's car quit and I put a new transfer case in it. Then my wife's Jeep has had a few problems. I did get a window and new heater core in the '68 flatbed. It makes winter driving more pleasant. I hope the get the roadster inside for a beginning mock up by the end of the month. I need to see how close things are to fitting and matching the picture in my head. Hope to have a roller sometime this summer.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Safety... We all have our own opinions. No use trying to change them.

I had it timed for the round mark on the flywheel, so I would assume that's the one for ignition timing. I haven't seen the triangle come around when using the timing light. You're right though. We're better off to time by ear.

Well that's got to feel good getting the rest of that stuff sorted out! It shows the skills of a truly versatile mechanic; you can fix both old and new(er)! You should start up a thread for your roadster once things get moving on it. I'm sure I'm not the only one raring to see that thing come together! We can trade spots for a change. I may not be able to provide any wisdom like what you've been dishing out, but I can post plenty of "good job!"s and feel-good comments!

Progress on the '40 has been exclusively tuning and testing. Lots of anal and time consuming work. I love it. After spending hours upon hours working on the timing, I realized that the vacuum advance was not working, so I tore the vacuum advance off of the 216 Chevy that came out of the car and slapped it on to the GMC distributor. It works great! Gramps and I are happy with how it's running now. It does have a bit of a flat spot when you rev it up from idle, but that's probably just going to be the nature of it since we have such a big cam in it. It's not horrible, but it's something to work on. We also finally got some air filters for the thing which look nice. As I get more used to car, I have been able to drive it more vigorously - just testing the waters to see what it'll do. I'll tell ya though, that car goes! After we put the distributor back in this afternoon with it's new vacuum advance, grandpa and I took it out with him behind the wheel. He stuffed his foot into it pretty far coming out of a stop light and it ripped through all 4 gears no problem leaving both of us laughing like school girls. Grandpa's still got it!

Well, with 2 more days left in my much anticipated Christmas break, things are beginning to wind down for me. Shop time may become increasingly sparse, but I'm going to use the '40 as my daily driver until I leave to see what comes of it. The way I see things, if I've got two days left, the time is no where better spent than in the seat of that car - running or not.

Thanks!

Pete

Last edited by BlackJackPG; 01/10/14 02:14 AM.

Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Good news Pete. Yes, Vacuum advance is good on a street engine.
I hope to have the roadster in the shop for the initial mock up in the next few weeks. I'd love to have a rolling chassis by end of Summer. We'll see.
The thought f the two of you bombing around in the '40 makes me laugh. Thanks.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available