Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
I am having a 261 rebuilt that was harvested from a 1960 Canadian built Pontiac. Unlike the U.S. 261 this engine has hydraulic lifters and cam. The cam also has a fibre timing gear as opposed to the aluminum gear found on the U.S. 261, although I imagine an aluminum gear on my engine will do just fine.
The problem I am having is identifying a source to acquire a new hydraulic cam shaft and hydraulic lifters. It has been suggested that hydraulic lifters from a 235 are the same as those in my 261??? Where this true I still have the dilemma of obtaining the proper cam shaft. I have already tried Egge, Langdon's Stovebolt, and Northern Auto Parts with no success.
Can anyone help me out with finding a source for the parts I need(I will also be getting 60 over pistons & rings, exhaust guides & valves, 10 over main bearings and 20 over rod bearings, and a master kit)?
As a matter of interest this engine is destined to replace the 216 in my 39 Chevy Master Delux Business coupe

Thanks!
Also have 51 Dodge B3C (218 ci) and 47 DeSoto Custom (237 ci)

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Patrick's antique for decades has been a good source for these cams, however, for the last 10 years or so they have claimed that there is no reliable or consistent source for the lifters. Mostly due to no demand compared to the solid lift camshafts. You might try them just out of curiosity.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Elgin Cams does not have any catalog 261 grind listed, but they previously did grinds for Clifford. They can make you a grind, but I have no idea what it would cost. http://www.elgincams.com

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Greetings . . .

The Comp Cams online catalog shows a blank for a 235:
Comp Cams Catalog 224-228
middle of page 226. You could have any grind you want.

Delta Cams does good work.

regards,
Keith

Contributor
Online Content
Contributor
4 years ago when I rebuilt my 261, I got a cam from Howard Cams. They put a hydraulic grind on it for me. The lifters I got I took a chance on, because I couldn't find a source for them, I got off of ebay. Knock on wood, so far I haven't to many problems with them. Tom Langdon had written an article, I believe in the 12PortNews,on how to put a relief on the lifter to keep them from rattling. I only did this on the lifter for 3rd & 4th cylinders. I wish I had done it to all of them now. Because I sometime have a little lifter noise. I heard that the new lifter that you buy now where re-designed and therefor the noise.

Luke Lucas I.I. #516
Contributor
Contributor
What are the chances that Australian Holden lifters are the same item? Holden started with hydraulics in 1963, and many engine parts had a common ancestry from GM a year or 2 earlier models.

regards,Rod

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Federal Mogul still has lifters for the hydraulic 235 and 261's. The Part number is HT-761. They're extremely expensive though, somewhere around $20-$25 each. As far as the cam goes, you'll either have to have yours reground or have a new one ground. Again, more $$$.

They best value would be to go with an OE solid cam. Federal Mogul has new solid cams and lifters availible. You can pick up a cam from Patrick's or Rockauto for a little over $100 and the lifters about $10 each. The part numbers for them are: Cam-CS-293, and AT-874 lifters, the low lift solid cam is CS-251.

Chris

Contributor
Contributor
 Originally Posted By: stock49
Greetings . . .

The Comp Cams online catalog shows a blank for a 235:
Comp Cams Catalog 224-228
middle of page 226. You could have any grind you want.

Delta Cams does good work.

regards,
Keith

I haven't had much luck with Delta, two cams in less than 20,000 miles wiping out two sets of lifters. I switched to Oregon cam grinders and so far things are holding together just fine (same motor, same head, valve springs, and slightly hotter cam)

The two cams Delta ground for me had no taper on the nose of the cam and the lifters stop spinning and it doesn't take long and and things start spalling and scarring and you have a mess. (Even with ZDDP additives, proper break in,etc.)

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
You need to source a set of nos or nors hydraulic lifters that are at least 20 years old. they turn up on ebay and hemmings may also be a good source. They new lifters seem to have a problem staying pumped up and I have hard some talk about the new lifters taking out cam lobes on break in or shortly after break in. Try calling schneider cams in San diego and see if they will regrind your stock cam. I just heard that they are now out of cam cores (they ground 2 performance cams for me and another fellow I know just had a cam done for him and they told him his cam was ground on their last blank) but maybe they will try to get you one. If you dont have a stock core, post in the swap meet, it is the same core as a 235 and I would thing there should be plenty of meat for a stock 261 hyd. regrind.

D
Newcomer
Newcomer
D
I do have a good used 235 hydraulic cam and lifters from a 1959 engine. The lifters were all labeled as to which valve and cylinder they were from. $100 if interested. Dave

D
Newcomer
Newcomer
D
I do have a good used 235 hydraulic cam and lifters from a 1959 engine. The lifters were all labeled as to which valve and cylinder they were from. $100 if interested. Dave

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 445 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available