Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Hi. I had commited in November to purchase a local rebuilt 1956 model 235 but they are dragging their feet and have not begun any work & unless this situation has changed by tomorrow I will cancel & look elsewhere. I am not going to look elsewhere unless I cancel this previous deal.

I have found both a 235 & 261 within easy driving distance, both have been completely rebuilt inside & I have some questions before I pursue either of these & made a decision. Both are 56 - 62 model engines.

My question is does the intake & exhaust manifolds, fuel pump, distributor, water pump, fan etc interchange. I ask because I already have a new, unused dual 2 barrell intake & carb set as well as a new, unused set of short headers for a 235. Also a new short shaft water pump, fan & fuel pump. All to fit the late model 235 engines. I think I would prefer going with the 261 but it would become quite expensive if most of my already purchased items will not fit & have to be bought again.

I know if I install the 235 in my 46 Chevy my old starter will work if I use my 46 flywheel. Is this the same for the 261?
How about the motor mount compatability.

All advice will be appreciated as I do not need to make mistakes on what I now plan to purchase.

Thanks, Jimmie

ol-nobull
Jimmie Price
1946 Chevy 5 passenger Sport Coupe
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Jimmy, Yes, everything you want to swap will work. I have done this. If you are using the front crossmember mount, that will work too AFTER you drill holes in the front 261 engine plate to accept that type mount. Or you can swap a predrilled 235 plate to the 261.If you are already set up for the side mounts that will swap too.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Thanks. Since posting I have had replies from one of the sellers with one of the 2 235 engines I located & it is also a zero miles complete overhaul with everything inside new & a 30 bore job. There is so much extra stuff included it looks like that might be my best way to go & at a fraction of the cost of the 261. Will make up my mind on this tomorrow.
Jimmie

ol-nobull
Jimmie Price
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You also may need to use intake port ring adapters to use the dual intake on the later head, so check that before you try to install it.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Thanks CNC-Dude. I have already talked to the mehanic that will finish & do my engine swap & he is going to check this. Actually he worked for Patricks for several years before coming to Texas & that is how I found him was from their recomendation when I mentioned to them I was having big problems locally finding anyone to work on my stuff that had a clue about the old engines.
I have a Clifford intake with the dual 2 barrel 32-36 Webbers & that is part of why I chose the 235 over the 261 as I believe that the 36-38 Webbers swould have been the better choice for the larger engine while the 32-36 is the better choice for the 216 or 235. And my 264 grind cam was done for the 235 but I think it might still fit the cam bushings for the 261 but was not certain on that.
As I will still have the original 216 & the newer 235 this intake - carb setup should do well for either engine should the need ever arise.
Sure wish you did the 235 valve covers but I have a lead on a valve & side cover set of the Wayne from Patricks as they are currently out of stock on them.
In any case my build will be the 235engine.
Jimmie

ol-nobull
Jimmie Price

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 162 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available