#80574 05/20/14 02:54 PM
R
Rick C Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
R
Hi,

I have a pair of Zenith 228's that im rebuilding. However, ive run into an issue. Im having to re-use the check valves that are currently in the carb (my kit did not come with replacements)

When i rebuilt the first carb, the check valve was already loose under the accelerator pump plunger so i re-installed it. BUT i put it in the wrong way.

I realized this after dissembling the 2nd carb.

What is the process for removing the check valve and how can i safely re-install it without banging the small tangs?

Also, any tips on removing the lead plugs and how to i put in new ones?

Thanks!

270 GMC 1955.1
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I am getting ready to dive into a pair of these too. There is probably something on this site but the search feature is useless. I did a google search and found this VIDEO . This guy is pretty brutal and I don't know if it will help.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
R
Rick C Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
R
taking the carb apart and putting it back together is actually really simple. Way more simple than my Carter AFB.

One thing to keep in mind, when removing the spring from the accelerator pump, make sure the small washer and clip dont go flying off, i lost the clip because of this. I'm still trying to figure out the lead plug issue too and found this link.

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=614157

Mike's carburetor sells a kit that has all of the necessary check valve replacements etc. but at $40 a kit was too steep for me. I got mine for $16 off of rockauto.com, but they didnt have as many parts as Mike's.

I cleaned mine out in pinesol using an ultrasonic cleaner. It worked really well.

270 GMC 1955.1
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Thanks for the information. I have a pair that I'm going to run a on my 153 now 175 Chevy 4 cylinder. Do you know of a source for the replaceable venturies? On of our members rebuilt a set for his 270 GMC last year but he didn't go into the process much.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
R
Rick C Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
R
I think Mikes Carburetors probably has them. He seems to have most of the carb parts that i've been in need of.

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/28228_c_218.html

270 GMC 1955.1

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available