Print Thread
Rate Thread
V
Varnish Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
V
Hello. I recently picked up a project '46 chevy pickup. VIN on the truck is 5CK041XXX. The 5 makes sense and the CK makes sense as a 46 commercial truck but not sure why the zero. At any rate, I am just trying to positively identify the year of the motor and it does not seem to jive with the identifying numbers I am finding on the net. Stamped on the flat spot behind the distributor is what appears to be BD7 85037. I can't make out the meaning of the 3 digit code or the seemingly too short number. Perhaps a remanufacturers own stamp rather than original? By appearance it seems to be a 216. Any input appreciated on possible year, whether original, etc.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hi Varnish . . .

I think the 'commercial' serial number on the truck is perhaps a tell tale sign. The Hi-Tork 235 commercial engines from the early 1940's didn't follow the YAP (year application plant) prefix coding commonly used for the run-of-the-mill-stovebolt. For example an engine with the prefix DAM would be a '46 216 (D) assembled in Tonawanda (M) and originally installed in a passenger car (A).

My 1949 Chevy Parts Master Catalog indicates "engine serial prefix exceptions" for '41 235 engines which carry AG or AL prefixes; and for '42 and '46 (1st design) 235 engines which carry BG or BL prefixes.

I suspect that these same 'commercial' only assembly lines built some 216s as well. A BD prefix would serve to distinguish between a 216 and 235 which would otherwise appear outwardly identical. The 'B' is correct for '42 or '46 commercial assembly.

regards,
stock49

V
Varnish Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
V
OK, so could be original 216 and odd numbered due to the CK. Thank you for the information.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yes. '46 was immediate post war production restart. The half ton pickup was shipped with two different designs that year. The first design trucks have CK prefix serial numbers. The second design trucks have DP prefix serial numbers.

This is also the beginning of the transition away from stamping the engine pad with the vehicle prefix/serial number in favor of the YAP coding scheme with a unique engine-transmission/application/mfg-plant serial. Transition is the key word here. The BG and BL prefix on '42 and '46 235 engines are in fact a carry over from the '42 Sedan Delivery and the 3/4 ton truck Series vehicle prefixes.

By the end of '46 a second design 1/2 pickup would carry a DP vehicle serial prefix and a DBx or DEx engine serial prefix.

So I think you have an original engine that jibes with a 1st design '46. Only the casting number on the crank can tell us if it is a 216 or a 235. But it is most likely a 216 because the 235 was typically found only in long wheel base applications: 134.5" (1 ton+), 160" (dually), and 160/195" (bus).

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available