Print Thread
Rate Thread
#80219 05/01/14 11:24 AM
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
As I look at my 1986 Mexican 292, I reinstalled the original 3 groove balance after getting it rebuilt. I installed the original alternator bracket along with a single pulley Delco Alt I had. I bought a GM 3995646 2 groove water pump pulley because that seemed to be a common one. Problem is that the inner groove of the balancer, pulley, and alt are pretty near aligned. The second grooves won't line up at all because the balance is the one with a gap between the inner and second groove. I checked the height of my water pump against the original and its a match. it looks like I need a pulley with less height to it. Is there a source showing water pump pulley dimensions?

H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
I think I'm going to call a local machine shop about making a 1" spacer to go under the pulley. That would line it up perfect with the outer two balancer grooves. It looks like I need about 1/8" under my alt pulley to line up with the inside groove.

H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
I dropped off the WP pulley at a machine shop today, and asked them to give me a quote on cutting 1" out of the height. They said they'd call me. Let's see how bad this can be lol

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I have a '78 passenger car 250, which only has two grooves. Inside one for the alternator and outside one for the PS pump. I'm assuming your 3rd groove is for the AC pump that you're not using?

H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Originally my engine had an alternator, power steering, and AIR pump. I will now have alternator, power steering and A/C. I have the original Alt base bracket which lines up a single alt pulley to run directly off of the inside balancer groove. I bought a 2 groove water pump pulley 3995646. It is exactly 1" too tall. I could make a spacer, but I'd rather have a machine shop cut it down and move the face back 1". After that is done, the 2 grooves will line up perfectly with the 2 outer grooves in the balancer. Then I can fab the brackets for a/c, and p/s.

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
IT WILL BE EXTREAMLY HARD TO CUT DOWN A PULLEY AND REWELD IT AND RUN STRAIGHT. GET A AFTERMARKET NEW PULLEY LIKE MARCH PULLEYS.
BOB

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: HeavyTruck
but I'd rather have a machine shop cut it down and move the face back 1". After that is done, the 2 grooves will line up perfectly with the 2 outer grooves in the balancer. Then I can fab the brackets for a/c, and p/s.

That is exactly what I did to my W.P pulley, cut the nose off on my lathe, cut a receiving groove for a piece of flat plate to weld on the pulley, worked great & was straight. '

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
March nor anyone else I've contacted makes a pulley of that dimension

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I got one for my 292 w/ac,ps and alt made by Street and Performance, Mena, AR. I sent them measurements of the belt center line distances needed and it fit perfectly. Had the wide gap you mention. Took a couple of short pieces of belt with a center line scribed down the back of them and use that to measure with a caliper.

'38 Stude/292
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I got one for my 292 w/ac,ps and alt made by Street and Performance, Mena, AR. I sent them measurements of the belt center line distances needed and it fit perfectly. Had the wide gap you mention. Took a couple of short pieces of belt with a center line scribed down the back of them and use that to measure with a caliper.

'38 Stude/292

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available