Rate Thread
#813 08/10/03 08:24 PM
S
snuphys Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
S
I am new to this site and nothing sounds better than a Chevy with duals.
Now I have a question on a different inline. I am just getting involved with rebuilding one from a '53. Does anyone have info on the accepted or best way to support one of these on an engine stand? Also does anyone have any idea what this Pontiac straight 8 weighs? It is the 268 cid. Thanks for any info you can provide.

------------------
Ed

Ed
#814 08/11/03 03:59 AM
W
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
W
You may learn to hate the normal engine stands which grab the motor by the bellhousing end. Most of these are all set for a V8 (short compared to a straight 8). The weight of your motor will end up VERY close to the front wheels. Tippy canoe.
I have done a couple of stand adapters for the 292 Chevy which attach the motor from the side. This works much better & if you can figure out a way to attach from the side you will be a lot better off. I could send you some drawings and pictures of the 292 hardware, if you're interested, just send me an E-Mail request.

------------------
Ron 1801

Ron 1801
#815 08/12/03 01:21 PM
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Cool engine! If I remember correctly, your engine weighs about 660 pounds w/o flywheel! Mounting it from the side, on an engine stand, is a good idea. It's not going to be easy to handle, anyway you do it. As you know, it's awfully long and awkward to mount in the conventional way.......not ot mention HEAVY! Hope you take some photos and show 'em to us!

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available