Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#82383 09/10/14 12:43 AM
70Nova Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Got a question about restoring carburetors. Suppose I soda blast the body on the outside, what product would work and last as a protective coating?

Looking to keep original dull metallic coloring, not trying to change color.

I have a few old carbs that I need to rebuild and I'm doing zinc electroplating on the steel bits and pieces, would like to make the whole thing look nice and stay that way. The first on the list is a Carter AFB 4bbl for a 59 Caddy.

Found this: http://www.eastwood.com/carb-renew-2-silver-aerosol-5-oz.html

Anyone use it?

Jan

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
It'll make a carb look pretty, but it's still just a paint in my opinion. A carb looks better unpainted to me. My opinion, your carb.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
70Nova Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
that's what I'm after, a natural factory look. They ARE coated from the factory, most of them anyway, with zinc dichromate that is probably not feasible to try and reproduce at home.

Bare soda blasted surface removes most if not all of the original coating, and I'm not sure how long the unprotected metal surface stays looking nice.

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: 70Nova
that's what I'm after, a natural factory look. They ARE coated from the factory, most of them anyway, with zinc dichromate that is probably not feasible to try and reproduce at home.

Bare soda blasted surface removes most if not all of the original coating, and I'm not sure how long the unprotected metal surface stays looking nice.

Personally I would avoid removing any of the surviving finish. Carburetor bodies were traditionally made from zinc and were chromate coated by an anodized process. The finish that remains adhered to the original casting is as good is it gets in terms of protection from zinc oxidation (white rust).

I used Evaporust to remove oxidation from the Carter's for my build. And then I used Alodine (from the aircraft industry) to 'passivate' any exposed raw zinc.

The only downside is that Alodine is nasty stuff. I worked in a tray lined with thick plastic and then evaporated leftover product in the sun. Rolled the plastic up and discarded it. Hexavalent Chromium solutions are not to be poured down a drain.

Details can be found here:
Inliners Tech Tip circa '11

regards,
stock49

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 452 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available