Print Thread
Rate Thread
#82835 10/30/14 11:18 AM
F
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
F
I want to get rid of my points and install electronic ignition. Any helpful hints on which way to go? I have been leaning toward installing a new distributor instead of a conversion with the original distributor.

Contributor
Contributor
I used a Pertronix kit on mine, I have used them on other vehicles for well over 10 years, as well as customer engines. Never a problem. A worn out old distributor can cause timing "flutter", it jumps around a bit because the distributor shaft is wobbling, due to worn bushings and such. With a Pertronix kit there is nothing touching or riding the shaft anymore, and timing is rock solid, no more flutter. It does NOT help with worn or sticky advance mechanisms, those you have to fix if they are going bad.

It's hard to beat a new distributor, but I don't know how you can be sure it will be curved right for your engine. There is virtually no quality control left in this industry.

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I used a good stock ext. coil HEI (off a 75 model car) as opposed to the petronix, I got the dist for like $20. I can use the reg. V8 parts, ie weights, vacc. advance canister and module. I really like that. That being said put a Petronix in my dads boat and it was super easy and worked great. My though is if the dist. is in great shape go petronix, if not I would go with a new HEI set up, but I do not think you could go wrong either way.

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
http://m.ebay.com/itm/351083336403?nav=SEARCH

I bought one of those about 6 months ago.

Good: works as advertised. My car has been running a whole lot better since I put it in.

Bad: had to replace my fuel line because it's so big.

Overall: can't beat it for the money.

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
I put an early HEI in my GMC 302. It took some work. I followed the steps in Tech Tips on this site. The biggest problem was the old GMC (and early Chevy engines) like 36 to 38 degrees max advance and the HEI is limited to about 20. I had to modify the advance weights to mimic the old advance curve. It performs great and starts like a new engine. I think HP was increased by 5% or so.

FranK Hainey
Contributor
Contributor
http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/195.6OHV/EDIS%20ignition/index.html

if i can do this on a Rambler, you can do it on a Chebby!

it's a world of improvement. distributors can't touch this.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Check out www.gofastforless.com. They show how easy it is to adapt an HEI module to an electronic distributor. I put one on my '46 pickup (w/ a 460 Ford) and it works fine.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (LAROKE), 340 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available