Rate Thread
#83121 11/18/14 03:01 AM
B
boomer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
I need to start looking for a header for my boat with a gm 250 in it. the trick is I want to keep is as short ass possible to save room. So what is the shortest header that I can use and if its two pieces i will deed to join them right at the flange.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Tom Langdon offers a set of cast iron dual manifolds. You could also get some shorty tubular headers from Clifford.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
I'd go Langdon but you probably won't want to join right at the flange. I put the Y just after the pipes turned horizontal on mine. Went 2.5" all the way. Langdon supplies the flanges. My exhaust guy just welded 2.5" pipe to them instead of 2-1/4". Works well.

Clifford was just a lot more expensive and not worth the extra money in my opinion. Langdon looks and sounds good.

B
boomer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
if you can visualize it i wand the exhaust pipe to to come off the headers and then come up over the top rear part of the valve cover and down to were the bell housing would be on a car this all has to run close to the motor. So over all it is going to have to be very compact.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If that is what your envisioning, then you may have to fab some tube headers yourself so you can direct the tubes up and towards that direction as soon as they exit the exhaust ports.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
stainlesheaders.com can make you anything you need, just be ready to open your wallet. They will send you a mock up kit that you send back to them for final assembly. First class work.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Maybe rectangular tube would be more compact than round. At least in the aeras where space is at a premium.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
Originally Posted By: boomer
if you can visualize it i wand the exhaust pipe to to come off the headers and then come up over the top rear part of the valve cover and down to were the bell housing would be on a car this all has to run close to the motor. So over all it is going to have to be very compact.

If you don't mind me asking: Why? Sounds rather, well, ugly and like it'll be a PITA to remove the valve cover in the future. Not to mention the intake maniold being in the way and the heat close where you might put your hands when tinkering.

Just doesn't sound like a good idea unless there's a darn good reason for it.

I
Contributor
Contributor
I
Boomer, are you going to run the exhaust "through the transom" or " through the prop"? Is the exhaust going to be water cooled? After all it's going in a boat, correct? What about using Mercruiser manifolds? Jay 6155

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
aaahh... a boat make more sense! Now I understand...

...but many of the same points still stand. There's gotta be a better way to put it in there.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 368 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available