Print Thread
Rate Thread
#83935 01/09/15 01:50 AM
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
What is the general consensus on the preferred bearing brand for the 250 or 292? Any of them we should stay away from?

I read an article where model specific bearings were being phased out and part numbers replaced with standard Chevy small block part numbers/parts. Opinions?

R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
I have done several rebuilds and have had good luck with the Clevite/ Michigan 77 brand. Even top shelf bearings will die a quick death if dirt or improper clearances.

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Rod bearings are the same as small block, either 2.0" or 2.1". They are packaged in different quantities. I can see in the future that we may have to buy a V8 set just from a packaging thing. I'm not sure how the mains work out. There wouldn't be enough. About 90% of all cam bearings used in the US and Canada are made by Dura Bond no matter what is printed on the box.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Thanks for the responses. Beater, the article was in Hot Rod Magazine titled "The Joy of Six". Seems like they mentioned main bearings. I don't have it in front of me. I'll get it later. The author said that there were 3 makers if I remember correctly and 2 of them wouldn't match the oil hole in the main saddle correctly. The only one that would was the part number from King.

J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Okay, looked up the article. It says "In theory the L6 can use the same 2.300 inch od bearings as the '55 to early '68 small block. Today most bearing makers list the same part for both motors but the listed part is really a V-8 bearing and its oil hole doesn't align with the slot in the L6 main saddle. King Bearing still offers a correct, dedicated L6 bearing." It doesn't give a different part number for the one that doesn't line up.

Last edited by Juicetone; 01/10/15 01:31 AM.
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
I read something like that somewhere, maybe Leo's book. Maybe someone else here will post.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Well Beater, I figured I would get some more responses; especially from the guru's on here. But you're exactly right about Leo's book. I scoured that thing yesterday and they had pictures of 3 different brands of bearings: First was a Clevite (which I'm particular to) that showed an oil hole and a groove. It's just that the hole doesn't match the hole in the saddle. Second, was a Sealed Power and it just had a groove in it (no oil hole). Lastly, the King bearing which the groove and oil hole matched in the saddle perfectly.

However, it looks like someone had a picture of a Clevite bearing that they drilled another hole in to match the one in the main saddle. Does anyone think this would be a bad option?

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
I'm glad it was in "the book". I don't like working on bearings, I'm a klutz. But if you are careful I see no reason why that would not be a good solution.

J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Our engine builder likes Clevite as well. I'll ask him if he thinks this is a viable option or just something else extra for not really any benefit. Thanks so much!

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Let us know what you end up doing please.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: Juicetone

However, it looks like someone had a picture of a Clevite bearing that they drilled another hole in to match the one in the main saddle. Does anyone think this would be a bad option?

That is actually a very common practice with engine builders and racers, so there is nothing to be concerned with. It just needs to be deburred on the front and back sides of the bearing and a steady hand. Its also a common practice to elongate the oil hole in the blocks main saddle to match the bearing slot, similar to port matching an intake or exhaust port gasket to the head or intake.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Contributor
Contributor
I made a fixture with an old main cap to drill the holes in Clevite bearings, but I myself like King bearings best, however King bearings have a wide main thrust and you must be careful to get the thrust clearance correct I think the work is worth the effort.

Lately my machinist said he has heard of issues with Clevite bearings and would not use them in his engines.

Turbo-6
I
Contributor
Contributor
I
This might seem like a dumb question but who sells King bearings? Are they repackaged for anyone like autozone ect? Jay 6155

J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Gentlemen, thanks for the advice! I'll talk with the engine builder to see what he recommends. Like I said, he prefers Clevite I think but that would be in a more typical application like the V-8 stuff he builds. He said that King is his "least favorite" bearing. So we'll see. I'll definitely let everyone know. And that's not going to be even close to the trickest part of this build. grin

Last edited by Juicetone; 01/14/15 01:19 AM.
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Originally Posted By: intergrated j 78
This might seem like a dumb question but who sells King bearings? Are they repackaged for anyone like autozone ect? Jay 6155

http://www.kingbearings.com/

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Eoats, Beater of the Pack, littlejeep2), 345 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available