Rate Thread
M
Melon Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
Hello All,

I am following an engine build on the Old Willys Forum website.. It is pretty amazing. I hope the builder, Bill
Kuran, will soon be an Inliners member. Here is a photo of
his progress so far.

Last edited by Melon; 02/11/15 10:42 AM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
What is the bottom end like on that engine? How much boost is he talking about? What is he going to use it for?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That looks pretty cool. I like seeing new technology blended with the old. Tell him we are anxious to hear more about his build story.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
M
Melon Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
So far, he has indicated, 10-12 psi boost. The crankshaft is
a welded up stroker. Connecting rods are off another higher
output 6 cylinder.. Yeah, regarding the 4 main bearing bottom
end, I am wondering how the H it's gonna hang togeather..
He has upgraded the oiling. He has upgraded the cooling.
The engine is for a Willy Overland station wagon.

I'm not much of an expert on what this engine, basically
a Continental 226, can produce powerwise.. I do think I
remember that a 239" Merc flathead runs out of longevity at
around 300 hp... But, that little engine only has 3 main
bearings........Right?

M
Melon Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
If you look closely @ the photo, you may see the two
3/8" bypass tubes, routed from the alloy cylinder head
to the thermostat housing... The engine also has a
modified/upgraded water pump... I think he said the
flow rate is up about 30%..

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That just makes me smile! Nice work. I want to hear more.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

T
Contributor
Contributor
T
Man that it sweet! Bet it moves! lol

1966 C10 292/tko600 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596643
1964 C20 292/sm420
I
Contributor
Contributor
I
Wow! I have a question. Does it take 2 blowers to make 12 lbs of boost? Jay 6155

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
When I used a Paxton on my 250, I was able to get to 10 PSi, normally 8-9 PSi on average.

That was with there "RACE" compressor wheel.

Maybe if my 250 was all stock, I would have been able to get to 15 PSI?
That is what JR Granatelli had told me in person I would be able to get to with no problem.
He delivered it personally to a place that installed there Paxton superchargers.

The newer gear driven Paxtons can deliver more Boost than your engine can take. shocked

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
I
Contributor
Contributor
I
Maybe 10-12 psi is just the starting point.

M
Melon Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
Bill Kuran is the owner-builder of this engine.. He should be
joining up and posting his story on Inliners.. He has already
posted quite a bit on Old Willys Forum..

Dual Paxton's blowing into a two barrel Ford throttle body. Six injectors are placed close to each intake port.. When
you see what he did with the oil pump......Well, it set my hair
on fire........Too bad he lives on the right coast.. I really
need to see this monster in person...... Did I mention he
has been working on this project for over 10 years?

Last edited by Melon; 02/14/15 12:00 AM.
B
Newcomer
Newcomer
B
Melon - thanks for directing to this site. I the interest so more than happy to talk about the engine and vehicle build - but not sure where to start - as you know it's complicated.

I bought my Jeep in 1977. I saw it sitting near the Mason Street exit off I80 in Vacaville, CA. My brother-in-law owed a '49 (289 engine) so I decided to buy it for $700. How I managed to keep it all these years, through life stuff, is nothing short of amazing.

It was in very good condition, never having been molested. I think an electric wiper motor and spare tire rack bolted to the tail gate were the only two modifications. It was good at doing what it was designed to do; move from one place to another at a respectably slow pace of about 55 mph, accelerate from 50 to 60 over the distance of a mile or so as long as the road was flat, and kick butt off-road. It was my daily driver and I never tired of the comments about its uniqueness.

However, I was tiring of its performance. I wanted to go fast but I didn't what to modify the looks (too much) of my Willys. I consider the engine to be a vehicle's DNA. Once the engine is removed, the vehicle is just a host. Than meant I needed to do something with the engine.

After much studying (1984 to 1986) of flat head engines (there is a long story here but I'll spare you) I concluded that a Continental L6-226 was capable of 300 hp at around 5,500 rpm and about 400 lb-ft of torque around 3,500 rpm. That's a long way from the factory rating of 105 hp @ 3,600 rpm and 190 lb-ft @ 1,400 rpm. There really was a lot of studying but in the end the 300 hp goal that I pulled out of a dark place just simply sounded good!

I started getting serious about the project in 2003. It took the better part of two years to find someone that would take me seriously. Uncommon Engineering in Indianapolis agreed to take on the project. There are some early photos of the engine on his site.

The engine work started in April, 2006 and I brought it home in July, 2012. It didn't say finished because it took one more year to get the vehicle ready for the engine and another year of work before it was ready to start for the first time.

Here is a list of things done to the engine -Edmunds aluminum cylinder head, 0.100" overbore, 0.425" stroker crank, dual sync distributor, closed loop efi, full flow oil conversion, larger intake and exhaust valves (1.7” & 1.5” vs 1.5” & 1.375”), port and combustion chamber work, tuned intake & exhaust, sequential port fuel injection, high(er) flow water pump, custom steel main caps, custom solid lifters, custom cam grind, ATI Super Dampener, twin Paxton SN60 blowers, ARP 2000 head studs.

In order to even come close to the engine performance goals it was necessary to consider the engine as a system. Nothing was done without fully exploring the impact a particular change would have on other engine components. In some areas the design became a series of trade offs. Anything could have been done but there were project constraints such as reliability/longevity (time between failures) and time.

You can read about the engine build (and vehicle build) Old Willys Forum in excruciating detail so I won't redo it here.

It's still not finished and there are several things that I would do differently if I were to do this again.

Melon posted a photo but here are a couple more engine photos .

Here are some vehicle photos.

Thanks for your interest and I look forward to reading about and looking at your work and ideas.

Bill K
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Nice Build and Welcome to the Inliners BB.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
M
Melon Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
Thank you to Bill Kuran...You made it to Inliners and I'm
very glad you are willing to share your work with us..This
is a great story. Thanks again for joining us.

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
Hi Bill. Where are you in Maryland? I'm in Frednneck. If you ever need a hand (or just want to drink a beer or three) let me know. I also have family on the Shore so I'm over there from time to time.

I'll be heading down your path in about a year or so. Probably going with a single Paxton but maybe a gear driven set up.

I, too, came to the same conclusion about my motor. I have a 68 Camaro with a 250. My goal is about 350 hp, 400 ft-lbs. I'm just a head job, pistons, rods, cam and supercharger away...

Last edited by gbauer; 02/16/15 10:15 PM.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available