Print Thread
Rate Thread
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
reproduced possibly.....

This is not SPAM but rather a poll to find as many Pontiac inline six OHC "Cammers" out there looking for camshafts for their engines. Inliners.org does have a few (I for one) that lurk around here so I am hoping to share this information with others.

I am currently working with Jerry to see if this project can get off the ground and become a reality. Please continue to read on and place your information in the poll.

The key, like all OHC parts, is the number of camshafts that need to be purchased to make the project viable for the vendor to produce them.

The number of "H" camshafts is 100 to get the project to move forward.

There is even a bigger benefit to making this run of "H" cams since the people running an "E" camshaft can upgrade their engines with the longer duration of the "H". A simple swap can get you more power with a simple camshaft swap which can be done by anyone in their garage.

The estimated retail cost of one "H" camshaft will be $300 plus shipping and taxes if applicable.

If you are interested in buying an "H" camshaft (or more) please list your "First Name" then your "Location" or major city that you are nearby, the "Vehicle" that it will go into and most importantly the number "How Many" of "H" camshafts that you will buy. This information is a simple poll to see if there is a large enough market out there to reproduce the most aggressive OHC GM factory camshaft made only in 1969 for an estimated 230hp/260tq.

http://sohcsix.yuku.com/topic/3406

Example:

1. Marc
2. Dallas Texas
3. 1969 Firebird Sprint
4. 2 H camshafts

I am posting this information at:

Yuku / Pontiac Overhead Cam Six Forum
PY Forums / OHC-6 Tech
FGF Firebird
Facebook / Overhead Cammer Chapter
Inliners.org
The OHC Chapter email list

If you have other forums or places that you believe would help to get the word out please either pass along this poll and direct people back here to Jeff's Yuku Overhead Cam SIX Forum or post it yourself and have them send this info back here. It is important that the poll information gets back to this poll/post so that they can be counted!!

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get an "H" camshaft or aggressive camshaft for your Pontiac OHC engine(s). This poll will be the deciding factor if this project can/will move forward since if the numbers are not there the camshafts will not be reproduced. It is imperative that this poll get to as many Cammers as possible and that the poll numbers are sent in ASAP to see if there is enough interest. If you know of a friend that has a OHC but does not come to the internet very often please find a way to let them know that this project is being worked on and that if they want to buy one the need to get their vote counted in this poll.

http://sohcsix.yuku.com/topic/3406

Marc

Sprintin 6 at Yuku
PMD1969 at PY Forums

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Marc,
It might be better if you also posted up what the specs of the H cam are. I don't know and sure many other don't either. Maybe show the differences in the Pontiac cams that were available.

Maybe say what this cam could be ground as. ie, the different lifts and durations.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I would rather have a custom camshaft made then just offer an "H" or "E" camshaft. Old school technology.

I do not know the specs off hand but, I am sure they are pretty weak as far as making a lot of power.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I agree with Hank, most anyone looking to build one of these or any engine for that matter always want a little more cam than stock to begin with, so trying to duplicate an outdated cam profile will likely leave you stuck with 95 of those 100 from now on. Cam technology has progressed so much in just the last 10 years, that anything 20 years or older is the equivalent of an 8 track tape to an MP3. Plus, you have to look at how many people there are or are still to be born that will even be building these engines in the next 20-30 years. Probably not even close to 100.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
The major problem for building custom camshaft grinds is that there are no racing parts for our OHC Pontiac motors. When they do come up for sale they are few and far between. As far as I know there are no new HEI dist being made, no 4bbl intakes, pistons must all be custom made and so on. So for someone to commit to building custom cams for a couple guys to race their motors doesn't make sense either. The majority of people that have these motors only have access to factory parts and the H cam is the best proven factory cam for most power of this motors production. If you guys can find enough people to buy at least 100 custom grind camshafts then find them for me and we'll build them.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
So it seems that you are saying that you cannot make a better cam profile than a stock "H" cam specs, & if you do make a different pattern camshaft it cannot work?

You do not need to "race" your car to have & use a better performing camshaft.
Could have a custom camshaft that makes better mileage that performs better than stock.

The TheSilverBuick guy here on this BB has installed the "H" camshaft & seems displeased with the output as it cannot reach the peak RPM that Pontiac says it can make power to.
He is using a better fuel distribution Megasquirt, EFI, distributer less ignition, yada, yada yada.
Are they supposed to pull to 6500 RPM?

Good luck with your search.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Marc,
Is there no one with cores to cut new cams with?

Inliner Member 1716

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: OHC Sprint
The major problem for building custom camshaft grinds is that there are no racing parts for our OHC Pontiac motors. When they do come up for sale they are few and far between. . . If you guys can find enough people to buy at least 100 custom grind camshafts then find them for me and we'll build them.

Hi Marc . . . I like the idea of enthusiasts getting together to pool resources to recreate what is otherwise unavailable. In this case there appears to be a source of camshaft blanks already in the market allowing another to offer stock and custom grinds at the same price point you have in mind:
Pontiac OHC camshaft on Ebay

regards,
stock49

O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
So it seems that you are saying that you cannot make a better cam profile than a stock "H" cam specs, & if you do make a different pattern camshaft it cannot work?

You do not need to "race" your car to have & use a better performing camshaft.
Could have a custom camshaft that makes better mileage that performs better than stock.

The TheSilverBuick guy here on this BB has installed the "H" camshaft & seems displeased with the output as it cannot reach the peak RPM that Pontiac says it can make power to.
He is using a better fuel distribution Megasquirt, EFI, distributer less ignition, yada, yada yada.
Are they supposed to pull to 6500 RPM?

Good luck with your search.

MBHD

Yes I know Randal very well. I just spoke with him a few weeks ago. The older 66/67 OHC's were "rated" to rev to 6500rpm but Pontiac was having too many repair problems and warranty issues that they blamed on AC units but there could have been more to it than that. They lowered the performance to 5500 rpm after that for all OHC's. My 69 Sprint with a H cam pulls to 5400 rpm and beyond according to the hood tach I have on it. What Randal is getting I have no idea but I do know that he is not running an H camshaft. I believe he has a custom grind camshaft that might be a touch better than the H but he has a 1bbl cam in there right now.

O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
Originally Posted By: stock49
The major problem for building custom camshaft grinds is that there are no racing parts for our OHC Pontiac motors. When they do come up for sale they are few and far between. . . If you guys can find enough people to buy at least 100 custom grind camshafts then find them for me and we'll build them.

Hi Marc . . . I like the idea of enthusiasts getting together to pool resources to recreate what is otherwise unavailable. In this case there appears to be a source of camshaft blanks already in the market allowing another to offer stock and custom grinds at the same price point you have in mind:
Pontiac OHC camshaft on Ebay

regards,
stock49

I might be mistaken but those are the cams that were run by the same person I am working with now.

O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Marc,
Is there no one with cores to cut new cams with?

None exist and haven't for a very long time.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
So how is that guy on ebay doing some?

Inliner Member 1716

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club

Help us here Marc. We're push rod guys so re-grinding an old stick to a smaller base circle but higher lobe lifts can be 'fixed' with longer push rods.

Are you saying that current blanks can't be cut to the 'H' spec because there is not enough material in the rough cast lobe?

I get it that with an OHC setup the cam is running directly on the valve stem - so a blank cam shafts gross lobe diameter is the limit of lift that can be be ground in.

O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O

Help us here Marc. We're push rod guys so re-grinding an old stick to a smaller base circle but higher lobe lifts can be 'fixed' with longer push rods.

Are you saying that current blanks can't be cut to the 'H' spec because there is not enough material in the rough cast lobe?

I get it that with an OHC setup the cam is running directly on the valve stem - so a blank cam shafts gross lobe diameter is the limit of lift that can be be ground in.

I do nit have any experience with grinding cams out of base circle since I haven't had to do it. My car is a 69 Sprint with the H cam everyone wants. Also, the Pontiac OHC camshaft rides inside an aluminum housing with no bearings. I think the problem is with a timing issue? Not completely sure. But there is a guy that has made from existing cam gears some adjustable gears to change timing. The market for these cars has never been a good one for racing. There are a few out there and heck one guy has a 69 FB Sprint with a blower on it putting out over 410hp. The number of these guys doing it are very very rare and low in numbers. The market is more for the original restoration in 66/67 Tempests and 67-69 Firebirds. The factory Sprints are coveted and go for higher prices. The goal with this run of cams was to provide something that never has been, the "H" cam. Anyone can buy a H cam, take the cam tower off, bump the cam out and replace it and put the cam tower back on and go. Boom you have an extra 20-25 hp from regular Sprints and even more out of the 1bbl cars. I have been talking with an older OHC guy about doing this for these reasons. 1. Keep our OHC's running! 2. Add some performance that everyone can have. 3. Its never been done before. He has mentioned cam blanks and might do it but we need to find out what the market place wants first. So far, as expected, more want the H cam then the blanks. But, that doesn't mean that he won't do it.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The place that makes the cam blanks is in Michigan, once you find out who actually owns the patterns for casting them, you can circumvent most of the middle men and remove them from the equation and have a lower cost per unit without having to make 100 of them.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club

Yeah, the problem with regrinding an OHC cam is that you reduce the base circle too much and then you either have to use lash caps to compensate or use longer tip valves because the followers are not adjustable and cannot make up the slack created by the smaller base circle. You have to do each valve individually to regain what was lost by regrinding. Very tedious and a lot of skill required to do it correctly.

O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585

Yeah, the problem with regrinding an OHC cam is that you reduce the base circle too much and then you either have to use lash caps to compensate or use longer tip valves because the followers are not adjustable and cannot make up the slack created by the smaller base circle. You have to do each valve individually to regain what was lost by regrinding. Very tedious and a lot of skill required to do it correctly.

Add in the rarity of the motors, parts, skilled labor and the COST and just a handful of guys have ever done it.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
That is something I would do just so I do not have to run a stock spec camshaft.
"use lash caps to compensate or use longer tip valves"

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It would be best to start out with a new cam blank and just make a little more aggressive profile than copy an outdated one. Not only can you retain the stock base circle with a more modern lobe design and not have to compensate by using lash caps or longer valves, you will also appeal to a broader market and you can come closer to your 100 cam goal that way.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available