Print Thread
Rate Thread
#85185 04/12/15 02:36 PM
W
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
W
Well, I finally got her between the fram rails.

Fitting pretty nice. A little tight in spots. For a guy that likes big girls anyway, I don't mind.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/whited...341245367222896

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
Whitedog,
Is that still the original 4200 oil pan?

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
W
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
W
Yes, that's the OE pan.

The front lip of the pan is sitting on the crossmember. It's actually pretty close to where it needs to be.

I'm going to have to notch the crossmember and move the engine forward about 1/2- 3/4".

I slid the rear axle under the truck and jacked it up without the shackles. A 3" notch out of the back part of the pan will give me more than enough clearance, even if the axle gets into the bumpstops.

I'll lose about 2.5 - 3 quarts capacity. So, rather than having a rear sump made, I'm think that squaring off the front is the way to go. The pickup tube could basically go straight down then.

Anyway, lots more work ahead.

Chris

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/whitedog76/media/0412151150_zpsvckmdjkk.jpg.html?sort=6&o=40

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/whited...314814420058795

Last edited by Whitedog; 04/13/15 12:48 AM.
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
[quote=Whitedog]Yes, that's the OE pan.

The front lip of the pan is sitting on the crossmember. It's actually pretty close to where it needs to be.

I'm going to have to notch the crossmember and move the engine forward about 1/2- 3/4".

I slid the rear axle under the truck and jacked it up without the shackles. A 3" notch out of the back part of the pan will give me more than enough clearance, even if the axle gets into the bumpstops.

I'll lose about 2.5 - 3 quarts capacity. So, rather than having a rear sump made, I'm think that squaring off the front is the way to go. The pickup tube could basically go straight down then.

Anyway, lots more work ahead.
------------------------------------------------------------

Chris,
Ok
Thought maybe it was going in something that didn't require a new pan or a modified pan.
Thanks

Last edited by Chevelle292Wagon; 04/14/15 08:19 PM.

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
W
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
W
This is a totally new project for me.

I've learned alot about what's needed for this swap, just by setting the engine down it the frame.

To be honest, I think the 3.5/3.7 Colorado/Canyon swap would be a must easier task.

Heck, it would almost be a direct bolt in.

If I ever do something like this again, I think that's the route I'd go.

I have the 4200 already, so that's what I'm sticking with.

E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
Just a note the redesigned 4200 rear sump pan is 2 steps away from getting production castings made. More details on vortec4200.com.

I'll have the 1st "at size" casting next week to test fit.

1 more step for the pattern and then the taps open for production.

Marc

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
W
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
W
Marc, I've actually been watching your posts on the Vortec4200 site.

I've been talking about my project for quite some time. It hasn't been until that old 235 got lifted out of the framerails, that I've actually got around to doing much other than accumulating parts.

Now that I have the engine sitting/wedged in the framerails, the scope of the project is starting to get overwhelming.

I finished up fabbing the drivers side motor mount last week. I ordered a trans crossmember from the local speed shop, so I'll be able to square everything up and finishing fabbing the passenger side this week.

Of course, there's another million things to do after that.

I'm definately going to keep your oil pan in mind. I still haven't completely talked myself into the front sump idea yet anyway. Once I get the front axle back where it belongs for good, I'll decide where to go from there.

Chris

Moderated by  efi-diy, stock49 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available