Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
skidder Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Not sure if this is the right place for this question. I purchased a 292 for my 50 Chevy truck and have decided I want to Turbocharge it. I plan on removing the 235 soon and mocking up the 292. I have the original mounts for the engine, if I used them all I would need to do is make some perches mounted to the frame for them to sit on. But I am not sure if I should either use them or just make a set of solid mounts. The truck will have a 700r4 and not be a race truck. Any thoughts. Just an update I did manage to pick-up an Offenhouser four barrel intake at the Auto Fair for $85.00.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Most any frame mount will work for the 292, just the drivers side mount has to be positioned on the crossmember farther back on the drivers side because the mount location on the block is not symmetrical to the passenger side mount like on a 250 or V8.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
S
skidder Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
When you say frame mount do you mean solid mount? I understand it not symmeterical,which is not an issue. What i'm not sure is should I connect it to the frame using the stock rubber mounts or should I make the mounts solid?
Thanks

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Make mounts for your truck that will be the same for a SBC. This would be on the side of engine in the factory 3 bolt locations. Standard V8 rubber mounts can be used. I sell a adapter to relocate the passenger mount.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: skidder
When you say frame mount do you mean solid mount? I understand it not symmeterical,which is not an issue. What i'm not sure is should I connect it to the frame using the stock rubber mounts or should I make the mounts solid?
Thanks

The frame mount is solid, it's the motor mounts that can be either or. Since your starting from scratch with a vehicle that has never had a V8 or modern engine, there is no reason to do more work by finding a V8 to determine mount location only to then have to buy an adapter to make the engine you will be using fit it. Just use your existing 292 as the test mule to fit and determine frame mount locations since it is what you will be using in the first place.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Order 2 sets of these, along with a rubber mount and call it good.

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/engine-mounts-chev-in-line-6-cylinder-19/

You'll have to drill your frame and probably re-drill the hole they have for the rubber cushion, but they're quality made.

I ordered a set for mounting a Vortec 4200 in my 54. I'm using them on the frame side. I had to fab a mount for the engine side, but you won't have that problem since they're already drilled for an inline 6.

S
skidder Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Everyone thanks for all the replies. Once I get the 235 engine out of the truck I will finish boxing the frame. I will fab up some engine mounts and post some pictures.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 162 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available