Rate Thread
#85743 05/31/15 01:39 AM
B
btm Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
B
I have a mid - late 80's 292 that is currently stock. This engine was in good condition when pulled from a Chevy van years ago, but has been sitting in my garage for approx 10 years. I would like to get it running, but I can't see much sense in dumping money into the 1 barrel carb. At this point, I do not want to spend a bunch of money on a new aftermarket intake. I've heard of some folks using the Rochester 2GC on the chevy inlines. I own a small machine shop, so making an adapter, or modifying the existing intake to accomodate the 2GC would not be a problem.
Would the 2GC work well on the 292?
If so, are there any specific years / models of the 2GC that would be better than others? It appears there are many variations of this carb.
Are there any other 2 barrel carbs I should be looking at instead of the 2GC?

Thanks,
btm

I
Contributor
Contributor
I
There are 2 basic flange sizes of the 2g series of carbs. The small base carb would be the easiest to machine your existing manifold to fit-but is only made in 1 size 278 cfm. This would compare to what should be a 250 cfm one barrel that is on the engine now. Not much gain from a power standpoint. The large base 2g carbs were made in 4 different sizes, ranging from 352 to 435 cfm. A adapter is not recommended, machining the manifold to at least open up the hole close to what is needed would be way better. Another member, CNC Dude, is working on casting a 2bbl manifold that will fit the 292. I don't know how far along the project is or how soon parts can be had. I would recommend going for a large base carb with an electric choke. All the cfm ratings are at 3.0 inhg 2barrel ratings, if you want to compare to 4 barrel carbs multiply my numbers by .707. Hope this helps. Jay 6155

V
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
V
I ran a Motorcraft 2 barrel carb on my 250 for a while, on the stock manifold. with a couple adapters it fit nice. It is a lot more adjustable and friendly that the 1 barrel ones. Best one is the Morotorcraft 2150, It has a big base like a 4 barrel but you can adapt it easily. Had to use a low profile air cleaner do to hood clearance. Read stuff from Eagle research and his opinion is that the motorcraft 2 barrel was one of the most efficient OEM designs made. I think they were actually made by holly. Lots of them available on ebay for cheap or expensive.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 162 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available