Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
rian Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Quick question, I'm putting a 250 in a 1963 Nova and I want to use the original 194 pan to avoid clearance issues. I'd like to use a new oil pump but I can't find a new oil pickup tube and I'm concerned about trying to remove the old tube/screen and switch it over. I could use the old pump with the tube in it I guess, but a new pump would be cheap insurance. I can't believe they don't make pickup tubes anymore but I can't find anything online. If I screw up the pickup tube then I'm faced with trying to use a modified 250 pan and I'd like to avoid that. Any advice? Thanks.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
One word of caution, and i've re-used many, many oil pump pickup tubes in a lot of engines. Once the pickup tube is inserted into the oil pump body originally, the OD of the tube has often lost its ability to fit tightly inside a pump body once its been removed and again is reinstalled in another pump. All press-in style pickup tubes such as these should always be welded into the pump body anyway, but definately when trying to re-purpose a used pickup tube. A special tool is also required to install the tube, but this is no assurance it is secure enough to hold itself in place. It also can suck air around the area where it fits into the pump body, so its a good idea to fully weld around the entire diameter of the tube where it meets the pump body.

Even on pickup tubes that have tabs that bolt thru main cap bolts, with time and age, they often become brittle as well and can break off where they are spot welded to the tube and fall off into the pan.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I agree with CNCdude on one point. You can reuse the old pickup tube. It will lose some of it's outside diameter from the original install.
I always use a bit of RTV ultra black and apply it to the outside stem of the pickup. Being care full to not get it into the input of the pump. This is the area of the tube that inserts into the pump.

I disagree on the welding. The pump housing is cast iron and will not weld nicely to the thin steel tube. This can also warp the machined housing from the heat needed.

I have extras of those pickups if needed.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I always braze weld the pick-up screen to the pump housing.

Does not get too hot.

Remember to take out the pressure relief spring before brazing.

R.T.V. IMO, is horrible for oil, gas etc.
It will expand, fall off & in general will not stick all that great IMO.

I work on aircraft for a living & we use a two part sealant for most jobs, sealing windows, fuel panels etc., fuel does not affect the sealant.
http://flamemaster.com/cs-3204-class-a-b-c/

We pay about $20 a tube.
And you do not need to mix it all at one time if you do not need all of it.
Refrigerate it to have a longer shelf life.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
R
rian Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

I
Contributor
Contributor
I
I had the pick up tube fall off on a chevelle that I owned. Lucky me I was turning into my street just idling when I saw the pressure drop. You would start the car oil pressure would build to normal for a few seconds then drop off. Had it tack welded back on, worked ok but now I know better. Thanks MBHD for the sealant tip. Would JB weld work ? Jay 6155

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Welding the pickup tube into the pump body is the preferred method used by most all performance race shops and better engine builders all over the country, and has been for over 30+ years. It is easily Tig welded to the cast iron pump body by any competent welder using the correct tools of the trade. Unfortunately, most people go to Home Depot or Harbor Freight and buy a cheap welder, and after sticking two pieces of sheetmetal together they think they are a professional. But like any other machine used by unqualified or incompetent hands, the results wont be desirable and then starts the urban legends of the process or method, oblivious that they the person are the problem and not the method. There are many things within the hot rod community that are just not within the grasp of the do-it-yourselfer to attempt or tackle because they often require much more skill or knowledge than they possess.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
JB weld works for a lot of different apps.

Not sure I would trust it to last a long time inside of an engine crankcase & not deteriorate over time & start to chip off & fail.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
I
Contributor
Contributor
I
Of course a hole could be drilled and a roll pin fitted, welding would be the best especially if the tube seems a little loose. I have seen JB weld hold a lot of crazy stuff. Jay 6155

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 452 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available