Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
Darwin Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
D
I have a "41" 160" wheelbase truck. It was a one owner when I got it. Have original 41 title. Motor & vehicle #'s match title.
Motor " is AG 406025. From the research I have done this indicates the motor is a 1941 235. I cannot find any references to 1941 AG engines with a 6 digit number.
The VIN is 9YS01-4541. I think this indicates the truck was built in "9" Ohio, YS is 160" WB, 01= Jan. and the 4541 is the
number off the line.
This truck is unusual in the fact that it came with a 4 speed & a "brownie" from the factory, so I assume this was a special order option as the truck was used in very heavy duty logging work.
I believe the long block to be OK, so it may not make much difference to me in getting it running again but I sure would like to know.
Maybe a couple tips on little known id methods?? Can send Pics if needed now that I'm through most of the grease buildup.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Darwin

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Hi Darwin,

Everything looks in order for a '41 long wheel base truck. These and the school bus had the RPO 235 engine:
Chevy Heritage '41
but the serial number seems to out run the production figures for 235 engines. The heritage site suggests that engine serials started at 1001 in both Flint and Tonawanda (AG engines came only from Flint) - suggesting yours is the 405024th engine built in Flint.

Perhaps engine serial numbers (by Plant) were entirely unique (regardless of prefix)? This particular site tallies overall engine production at 1.2M for '41:
ChevyTalk link to znet

So the serial you have is congruent with production of over a million engines split between two plants.

regards,
stock49

D
Darwin Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
D
Stock49;
Thanks a million for the help, I suspected a 235, but was thrown off by the tall push rod cover.
Main reason I wanted to know is a total rewiring is required & I wanted to make sure 216/235 ignition parts are interchangable.
Just discovered ignition parts may be the least of my problems.
I guess if you throw enough $$ at the beast it will come together.
Thanks again for the info
Darwin

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: Darwin
I suspected a 235, but was thrown off by the tall push rod cover.

The forties era Hi-Torque 235 has more in common with the 216 then it does with the fifties era 235. The Hi-Torque uses the same tall push rod cover and 15 bolt head. The blocks are dimensionally the same (external) but of a different casting (internally) because the 216 blocks will not safely bore to 3 9/16".

Most parts are interchangeable (if not identical) between the 216 and the Hi-Torque with subtle differences based on application. For example, a heavier flywheel and 10 3/4" clutch - versus the more common 9" setup . . .

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available