Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
I have a 1971 250ci L6 in my 1965 C10 truck. Mileage is unknown. It was free to me from a parts truck I bought. I ran the engine in the yard with a newly rebuilt carb 2 years ago. Compression seemed pretty good before I pulled the engine.

Fast forward 2 years. I've got my truck on the road finally. Engine runs great and starts right up. Rochester B card with HEI and stock manifolds and brand new single exhaust pipe from the manifolds back. Absolutely no oil leaks anywhere. All seals and gaskets are NEW except I never pulled the head or freeze plugs.

It goes through 2 to 3 quarts of oil per 11 gallons of gas. Gets 15-18 MPG. Starts right up. Smokes visibly when I goose it. Tail pipe has dark black soot.

I guess it needs rings. PVC is properly hooked up. I popped the PVC out of the rocker cover and there is great suction on the end and the engine stumbles when I put my hand on the end.

My plan is to re-check compression. Then wash internally with kerosene. Add kerosene to oil, then idle at 1500 RPMs in the yard for 15 minutes and drain everything while it's hot. Theory is that it might help remove carbon and allow the rings to seat better (does that sound right?).

So, if this was your engine, what would you do?

If the advice is to rebuild, would you rebuild an 88K mile 1965 230ci block as a 250ci or use the 1971 block? The 1965 230ci had bad compression in 3 cylinders for reasons unknown and that is why I used the 1971 engine. I still have the 1965 230ci under a tarp. grin

Last edited by Lugnutz; 09/15/15 01:56 PM.
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I would change the oil, run it hard (but not so hard the rods exit the block!) for a few hundred miles, change the oil again. Do this several times. If this does not help then I doubt anything short of a teardown will. My opinion.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Adding to what Stroker6 said. Use rotella 15w40 diesel oil. It is a high detergent and will also help dissolve carbon deposits.

Alternatively, using a quart of ATF also adds tons of detergent. Drive it lightly for a week and it will clean out.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Originally Posted By: strokersix
I would change the oil, run it hard (but not so hard the rods exit the block!) for a few hundred miles, change the oil again. Do this several times. If this does not help then I doubt anything short of a teardown will. My opinion.

I have already gone through almost 30 gallons of gas. I can't believe how well it runs. I'd have never guessed it would have this problem. I have a T5 MT with the 0.73 OD gear and a 3.73 rear with 29" tires and hills are no problem even if the RPMs get down around 1700, I can still accelerate and pick up speed easily. Seems to have plenty of "pep".

I'm using 5W30 oil right now. Is that making things worse?

Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Adding to what Stroker6 said. Use rotella 15w40 diesel oil. It is a high detergent and will also help dissolve carbon deposits.

Alternatively, using a quart of ATF also adds tons of detergent. Drive it lightly for a week and it will clean out.

Should I just add ATF to the oil and skip the kerosene wash out?

Any comment on which block to build if it comes to that?

Last edited by Lugnutz; 09/15/15 02:56 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I don't like the kerosene idea. Could damage bearings.
To me, the blocks are equal to use, unless one has been bored previously. But do build as a 250.

Inliner Member 1716

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
To me, the blocks are equal to use, unless one has been bored previously. But do build as a 250.

Then I'll use ATF. Thanks. Yes, I heard that a 230ci is the same block but has different pistons. I'll ask more questions about how to build the 250ci later if it comes down to that.

Jay

T
Contributor
Contributor
T
I did an oil change in my old 292 and ran a quart of ATF. Cleared carbon within minutes. I had a valve sticking and I left the engine at about 1500 rpm....poured a quart of ATF in and misfiring stopped a few minutes later. Ran it for about 20 miles...drain and changed the oil. Never smoked At All which was surprising for an engine with 150,000 and 95 pounds of compression vs at least 130. Could be weak rings for sure....Engine Restorer seems to help as well. I used a can of that and it bumped my compression up to about 115 pounds in all cylinders...hence the conclusion...Weak Rings.

1966 C10 292/tko600 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596643
1964 C20 292/sm420
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Originally Posted By: TJ's Chevy
I did an oil change in my old 292 and ran a quart of ATF. Cleared carbon within minutes. I had a valve sticking and I left the engine at about 1500 rpm....poured a quart of ATF in and misfiring stopped a few minutes later. Ran it for about 20 miles...drain and changed the oil. Never smoked At All which was surprising for an engine with 150,000 and 95 pounds of compression vs at least 130. Could be weak rings for sure....Engine Restorer seems to help as well. I used a can of that and it bumped my compression up to about 115 pounds in all cylinders...hence the conclusion...Weak Rings.

Thanks for the input. I plan to do a compression test tonight. Report hopefully tomorrow.

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Just finished a dry compression test. Took pics of my plugs too. Engine and plugs were stone cold when I pulled the plugs. Plug #3 looked slightly darker than the other 5 plugs.
All plugs were out and my wonderful wife cranked the engine for 4 complete bumps of the gauge needle. Here are the compression numbers. Factory service manual says a 230ci should have 130# and I imagine the 250 would be the same.

Cylinder #1 - 125
Cylinder #2 - 125
Cylinder #3 - 110
Cylinder #4 - 125-130
Cylinder #5 - 125
Cylinder #6 - 120

Contributor
Contributor
Wow, those look like really great shape plugs for a quart of oil every 200 miles. All my old oil burners looked much worse. Your #1 looks off on color, maybe there's something there. I've been told compression is most important to be wearing evenly across the cylinders and that #6 is usually the worst. From that your #3 looks "not like the others". But your performance is great.

For reference, mine measured 100-110 compression.

I don't think your rings are leaking the oil. It's gotta be going somewhere else. Rear main seal or somehow directly into the exhaust manifold? Where else could it be going?

Oh yeah, I hate never-seize that I see you put on your plugs. We used to put that on the handles of peoples tools in the canning factory for laughs. Nasty stuff, but it does work even in salt-water environments.

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
1 and 3 look the worst. Weird, I would think the oil comsumption would show more on the plugs.

My guess, you have a broken #2 ring on #1 cylinder. Hence the good compression and poor oil control. Maybe it is just stuck and will be cured with the ATF treatment. Got my fingers crossed.

Inliner Member 1716

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
First video is 30 seconds after a cold start. Choke is still on and RPMs range from 1500 - 4000. White and black smoke on start up. Looks pretty grim. Next 2 videos look better, sorta, maybe. Last video is just under the hood for a few seconds.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 09/16/15 08:04 PM.
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Could any of this be caused or made worse by having the wrong size oil filter on the engine?

Last edited by Lugnutz; 09/16/15 11:06 PM.
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
SNIP

I run a quart of kerosene for 10 min's at idle right before I shut off the engine and drain the oil... works really well to clean out the varnish..

On a 3.9 dodge V6 after about 10 oil changes with kerosene the oil started coming out nearly clean.. I had the engine out to change the rear main seal and it was spotless inside.. pulled a rod bearing apart from not getting an oil change for a unknown amount of time before I got the truck it was ok...

First oil change it came out like tar..

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
Contributor
Contributor
I take back what I said about the oil going somewhere else. That's a lot of smoke coming out the pipe. I think your plugs look as good as they do due to the good compression, it's effectively burning the oil.

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
I really appreciate the willingness everyone has to try and help a novice like me.

Here's an update. FYI, this is the third time I've eaten Humble Pie this month. Not very fun.
My 1971 250ci engine is pretty on the outside and junk on the inside. I added ATF to the oil and drove it maybe 40 miles. I saw the oil pressure light flicker once or twice at really low RPMs and that made me wonder if some gunk had blocked the oil pressure sensor.

I added a quart of kerosene to the oil and idled the engine in the yard at 1500 RPMs for 14 minutes. Drained everything while hot and changed the filter and replaced the oil pressure sensor with a new one. Oil came out dark brown but no chunks. (That was no surprise because I had removed all the gunk from the oil pan, timing cover, rocker cover and then changed all the seals 2 years ago.)

Added straight 40 weight oil to the engine in hopes that the thicker oil would reduce how much oil it was burning. Took the wife for a drive to the lake that evening and noticed the oil pressure light would flicker when at idle at the light - 800 RPMs. Light would go out immediately once I started driving. No funny noises from the engine. Checked oil level and it's all fine.

Tonight I got out my new Stewart Warner electric pressure gauge. You better read this sitting down. Operating temperature pressure is 10 at idle of 800 RPMs and never goes over 20 when driving. Stays at 20 with RPMs 2000 - 2500 and will drop to 15 if RPMs drop to 1500.

I have never rebuilt an engine. Working on this truck has been a real education and very humbling.

I really like the idea of keeping an inline 6 cylinder because you don't see that many these days. Other reasons are purely financial. The pros for installing another 250ci are many.
Keep the same (new) wiring under the hood.
Keep the brand new exhaust.
Keep the same radiator and (new) hoses
Keep the same new HEI dizzy & wires

I've already checked some prices. Crate 250ci with 3 year unlimited mileage is $1500-$1600 and I give them mine as a core.
Local shop wants similar money but only 12 months warranty.

I have an engine stand and a garage to work in this winter.

Let's hear what you think.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 09/21/15 10:40 PM.
T
Contributor
Contributor
T
Same thing I said on the other forum. lol!

1964 C20 292/sm420
Contributor
Contributor
Fix what you have. Rings, hone cylinders, replace valve guides and seals (A full valve job) and bearings. Couple hundred in parts, maybe $200 in the head labor. Hoping the crank doesn't need machining due to bearing journal imperfections. You can do all of it without pulling the engine if you have room to drop the oil pan. Much more than that will get you close to the crate engine price range.

Oil burning: running the engine in park does not tell much. Have someone drive behind it and make note of when it smokes.

1. Smoking under heavy throttle while accelerating, continuously smoking = piston rings.

2. NOT smoking continuously under long acceleration, but puffing out a cloud of smoke after sitting at idle waiting for lights to turn green, just as you start giving it gas = intake valve stem seals and guides passing too much oil through

3. black smoke = too much fuel.

Last edited by 70Nova; 09/22/15 12:05 AM.
J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
i would start with the valve job suggested, looking from the plug no 1 it would probably have a leaking valve, my ford had this (300cid) after a couple miles (1000or more) looked the same as yours, don't have to tell how it looked after 15000miles.
anyway if its a valve don't really hurt the engine but after a while you'll have so much deposit it will run a cyl less.

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
I need to find a 250ci crank shaft. Anyone got an extra one?
Shipping would be to zip code 29212.

T
Contributor
Contributor
T
Send Tom Lowe a PM. He probably would have a good one laying around.

1964 C20 292/sm420
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
If your short on cash - try changing the oil pump and rebuild the head first.

If the oil pressure comes up after changing the pump, then the bearing are serviceable - yes its extra work and it might cost you a head gasket if at the end you need to take the engine down completely.

Personally I prefer to rebuild the parts I have rather then replace the engine unless I'm doing a swap.

Last edited by efi-diy; 09/29/15 05:35 PM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Originally Posted By: efi-diy
If your short on cash - try changing the oil pump and rebuild the head first.

If the oil pressure comes up after changing the pump, then the bearing are serviceable - yes its extra work and it might cost you a head gasket if at the end you need to take the engine down completely.

Personally I prefer to rebuild the parts I have rather then replace the engine unless I'm doing a swap.

Maybe I just don't know any better, but I think this old 250 runs great. Sure it burns oil and has low oil pressure, but it starts right up, runs great and seems to have plenty of power.

Because I have a 230ci in the back yard, I plan to rebuild it as a 250ci, so I need a crank. I'd hate to tear down a running and driving truck just to steal a crank. I'd also hate to try to swap engines in the yard. I have a garage and that's where I'll build the new engine, then drive the truck into the garage and swap.

J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
Lugnutz,

What ever way you go, keep in mind that you have set the bar pretty high with your T5 information pages. We DO expect the same documentation from your engine building experience!

Jim

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Originally Posted By: Jim53066
Lugnutz,

What ever way you go, keep in mind that you have set the bar pretty high with your T5 information pages. We DO expect the same documentation from your engine building experience!

Jim

Jim,
I bought another 250 last week. I havn't heard it run yet. Part of me wants it to be as good as the seller says it is, but I suspect it's not gonna be that good. The other part of me wants to install a newly rebuilt 250 with all the little extras that will improve performance.

Rebuilding a 250 may be easy for some of you but I've decided to let the machine shop build me a long block. They will do all the rotating assembly.

I really want this to be a "community build". Forum members get to tell me what THEY want me to build. I want to use the factory intake. I have a Weber 32/36 carb that needs a rebuild plus an adapter plate from Tom Langdon. Headers can come later, maybe. I've had input from TLowe and others already about valve changes and 307 pistons. I'm still undecided on using BBC roller rockers.

I have the luxury of 2 complete engines to work with now. A 230ci and a 250ci and both are out of the truck. I still have the "250ci oil burner" in the truck and it drives just fine. Gets 17MPG too even with only 20 psi oil pressure while driving and 10 psi at idle.

I'll be happy either way, but I won't learn as much if this recently purchased engine is good "as is".

Last edited by Lugnutz; 10/20/15 12:52 PM.
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
I bought a used (orange) 250ci 3 weeks ago. Then, last week I was offered a recently rebuilt (4K miles ago) 230ci which is ready to install. Couldn't pass on the price. Plan to install it this month if weather permits.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 276 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available