Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
S
My engine build is still pretty faraway but I have been slowly collecting parts I might need.. I found these 307 forged pistons on ebay and wondering if I should jump on them.. my planned build is moving along pretty well due to jumping on good deals.. I have my Holly 390, Clifford heated intake and headers so far. I do plan to putting in a mild street cam and possibly lumps when I deck the head. Unsure if I will be in the horsepower range that would warrant lump ports.. Take a look at the eBay link and let me know what you guys think.. Would cheaper casts surrfice for my type of build?? Thanks for any input.. 307 forged ebay

T
Contributor
Contributor
T
Sure looks like a couple of them are cracked...unless those black lines are just there some how. I wouldn't go Cheap on a build. It can come and bight you hard in the future. You want to go with good quality as much as possible. Lump ports are good even for stock builds. Anything to help smooth out air flow will make an engine run better.

1966 C10 292/tko600 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596643
1964 C20 292/sm420
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Those are forged but also have a large chamfer on the edge of the piston, above the top ring.
This causes 2 things.
Lowered compression
Weak area above the top ring and possibly expose ring to damage.

I would try to find any 307 piston without the chamfer.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716

...This causes 2 things.
Lowered compression
Weak area above the top ring and possibly expose ring to damage...

Not to mention a profusion of unburnt hydrocarbons. Up to 25% of the hydrocarbons come from the ring land area.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
S
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
S
Thanks for the advice guys.. Is there a brand or part number that I could find a decent 307 flattop.. I don't think I will ever put enough horsepower in my 250 to definitely need forged pistons.. So I think that cast might work out just fine. Any affordable suggestions would be great!!

Btw Tom I am loving my valve and side covers you made for me!! I wanted to post some pics but I could not do on this site,

Last edited by Scottcoda; 10/01/15 08:25 AM.
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Frenchtown: I think you have it backward. The chamfer is meant to expose the crevice volume to combustion and reduce HC residuals.

A true flat top without the chamfer quenches the gasses in the crevice above the top ring (high surface to volume ratio) and prevents them from burning.

My understanding anyway.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 132 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available