Rate Thread
#87652 11/09/15 05:50 PM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Anyone have any plans for a nice engine run stand? I've looked at stuff on the internet. Still searching. I want to have a dash panel with a few simple gauges and a tach. Seems like a fun project for the month of December.

I have at least 2 L6 engines that I want to run on a test stand before I put one in my truck. I want to solve any leaks or problems before installation. It would be nice to adjust valves, timing and the carb as well.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
My advice: put it on large caster wheels so it can be easily moved. I'll get pics of mine up - its buried in my barn.

You are smart to want to run them before installation. I wish I had a penny for every engine install that had to come right back out.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
The more I think about the design, the more ideas come to mind. One thing I want is to have it up off the floor enough so my engine hoist legs fit beneath the run stand frame. Large wheels will accomplish that.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I've been thinking of one of these for a long time. I have a cut up late 30s Ford pickup frame with the original engine and trans still in it. There is a radiator with 4 hose fittings( use what works best) and a firewall with some gauges. It would be a good start for me because I have it. It has axles that would be removed and replaced with big casters. The front motor mount pads on the frame would be useful with adjustable mounts for many kinds of engines. Rear mounts could be fabbed as needed.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Well I bought some engine run stand plans on eBay. The plans are worth the $8.50 IMO. Now I don't need to think so hard. Tonight I bought and cut up some of the square tube. I mocked up some of the pieces on the floor but I have plans for some 5" wheels from HF. That center cross member in the photos has not been cut to length yet. This will be a fun project.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 11/25/15 11:16 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Looks good so far. Keep posting.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Make sure you have room for the starter. I had to do a bunch of cutting on my stand so I could start it.

Will Willis

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
More progress. Using some free scrap metal means I have to spend more time cleaning things up but it will help save some money. I'm nearly done cutting the pieces but the metal store is closed for the holidays. I finally got the outrigger legs to telescope properly.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 11/27/15 10:25 PM.
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Made some progress. Cutting, drilling and matching up holes so assembly goes smooth. Tack welded a few pieces today too. It will be done before Christmas.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I'm impressed. That is going to be a handy piece of equipment.

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Got something else done today. Soon it will be done.

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Looks to me like you are going to be the go to man for engine run stands my friend. Nice work!

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
I've been thinking of one of these for a long time. I have a cut up late 30s Ford pickup frame with the original engine and trans still in it. There is a radiator with 4 hose fittings( use what works best) and a firewall with some gauges. It would be a good start for me because I have it. It has axles that would be removed and replaced with big casters. The front motor mount pads on the frame would be useful with adjustable mounts for many kinds of engines. Rear mounts could be fabbed as needed.

Looks good but the metal work and welding is more than I can do I think.
I like "Beater of the Pack"s idea of using a frame since I have the front half of a 68 truck frame. I could run what ever engine I'm ever going to work on. (194-250 and 292s)
I have the Mercruiser front engine mount so I think I could run engine with out a tranny if I wanted. (If I'm wrong let me know please)

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Sorry for the dark pictures. I go to work and come home from work in the dark. More progress. Fabrication is 97% done. I need to move the engine mount posts forward 1". My original 230 block was used for a mock up tonight. Primer and paint come later. Should have the rebuilt 230 I bought on this stand and ready to test by mid-January.

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
The 230ci is on the run stand. Won't be too long and I'll have a video to post.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 12/26/15 01:14 AM.
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Radiator installed and gauges ready. I plan to connect the exhaust tomorrow and then crank it up.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Good job!

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Well, I made history today. I've never built an engine run stand before and this is the first test run of my recently purchased 230ci. WooHoo!

Last edited by Lugnutz; 01/10/16 11:20 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Two successes!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 336 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available