Rate Thread
#88329 01/01/16 05:41 PM
I
inarow Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
Greetings all. I know this is a real subjective question but I need to start somewhere. I've just located (finally) a 292 nearby owned by a guy I know with a little junkyard. It's complete, turns over, and in it's original C20 pickup. Last on the rd. in '94, now in the weeds. eng. ser.#, if I've taken the right # (?) is 352194. the truck's a '74. Roughly what would be a fair price to offer ? Thanks in advance ! Fred

inarow
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Unless he is willing to offer a refund if the block or head is cracked, because these are simply unknowns, I would offer him $100-$150 just to open it up for discussion with him and see if he is in the same ballpark.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
I
inarow Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
Thanks for the post. Based on basically nothing I was thinking something along those lines also. He's a straight up guy so I don't forsee a problem should something be cracked either. We all know the costs of parts and machine work and I've had plans for a built up 292 in a '53-'54 Studebaker for a long time now. Currently I have a '40 str.8 Packard in my jalopy of a 'hotrod'. Thanks again for the response, it's much appreciated. Fred

inarow
G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
Interested in your Stude (pics?). My uncle is a direct line descendant. He mother was one of the Studebaker daughters and just recently passed. His picture is in the mansion at Bendix.

I kinda have a family connection to the brand.

Last edited by gbauer; 01/01/16 09:34 PM.
I
inarow Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
Actually I don't have the Stude yet. That's my next project (when I find one), and that's what the 292 would be for. When I was a little boy one of my uncles had the same model I'm looking around for now ('53-'54 coupe). What I have now is what I call a barn car. That's the one with the straight 8 Packard in it I'd mentioned in the post. I don't see how to go about attaching pics of it or I'd try and put some up for the amusement of all. It's the worlds slowest 'hot rod'. :-)

inarow
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
Unless he is willing to offer a refund if the block or head is cracked, because these are simply unknowns, I would offer him $100-$150 just to open it up for discussion with him and see if he is in the same ballpark.

A wise old man once told me "Everything was running before it was parked - well excuse me - then why was it parked? If you can't hear it run it's just a core".

Even rare items are just scrap if they cannot be rebuilt - or worse if they require co$tly crack repairs before rebuilding can even commence. Which to CNC's point represent unknown risks to you as the buyer.

I am also curious to hear more about this Stude project . . . not mention the existing hot rod with the 356 Packard. Pics please.

regards,
stock49

I
inarow Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
"It's just a core" Yup, that's way I see it too. I've got a real loooong history of making 'stuff' from 'junk' so I definitely get that part. 'Worked as an automotive machinist for 7 yrs. way back when too so I've done my fair share of finding cracks in castings. Nothing's ever certain till it's all apart etc. but this 292 at least shows promise. We'll see how it plays out.
As for the Stude it's pretty simple, 53 or 54 starlight or starliner coupe, 292 worked up as far as practical for a street motor, and, I'd really like to have independent rear suspension like maybe a Corvette rear with good brakes, shocks, tires, etc. to have something more like a sports car than a drag car.
The 'Packard' as everybody around here calls it is made from so many different brands (1955 and earlier) that it's just a whole lot easier for somebody to point at a part and ask 'what's that off of' than to answer 'what kind of car is that' (chuckle)
As for pics, if I can't click on a pic and hit the attach button I'm pretty much done. Too bad, you guy's would get a good belly laugh out of it. Everybody else does. :-)

inarow
Contributor
Contributor
https://youtu.be/060A15ELz00

If they're laughing, then they're telling you about this song...

Second that on scrap engines. My spare would have run but would have burned a whole lotta oil. Always assume a full overhaul. The crankshaft was worth the price of the block, though.

Last edited by mshaw230; 01/02/16 12:09 AM.

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250
I
inarow Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
Mark, yeah, that would be the song. Thanks for posting it. 'Funny stuff!

inarow
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
inarow,
Me too. My next dream car to build will be a '53-'54 Starlight post. With a straight six, street legal, made up to look like it just rolled off the Bonneville salt - Moon discs, through the rocker exhaust dumps, window net, parachutes, in-the-weeds, etc.

What fun.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The coolest thing about the Stude coupes is the long low hood. Even though the coupes front end is 4" longer than the sedan and wagon it'll be a challenge getting a 292 under the hood without a bump. My sons '54 Conestoga was tough to get the Stude V8 in there with the McCulloch. It had moons sometimes.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
I
inarow Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
Beater, Right you are about the hood! I actually came across a pic of one just the other day and the guy had done exactly what I intend and there it is, the 292 sticking up thru a cut hood (he did a nice job of it). Just the front portion of the valve cover was hanging out. It could be covered too with a nicely made teardrop shaped piece though. I can't for the life of me find where I saw that pic. 'Thought it was either here or the hamb but I'll be darned if I can find it again. Sheeesh......!

inarow
I
inarow Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
By the way Beater, I'm assuming that's your son's wagon. Pretty darn slick! I've never seen one.

inarow
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
There's this one. It's head is one of the one made from 2 small block heads.
Santucci

Yes that's my son's on one of the several Nevada to Texas college trips. It's been down for a few years. He's been pretty busy with a family and career, but he's getting ready to tackle it again. There were fewer than 2,000 built with V8s and only about 7,000 in all. I've seen pictures of a few but have actually seen only two others. It was all Studrbaker but now has a T5 and 9" rear end. It has a supercharged 289 Stude engine. I have tons of pictures but I need to scan them. I have a friend with a 292 in a Lark wagon.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
I
inarow Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
No need to cut the Lark hood for a 292! 'Probably fit a Cat diesel in there (chuckle).

inarow
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I did see a Stude pickup with a Cummins.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 161 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available