Print Thread
Rate Thread
#88379 01/03/16 04:24 PM
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Looking for any info on this intake as I don't see many exactly like it. What I'm looking to do is use an efi kit with it on a 292. Then if the efi runs good, I'll toss a snail on there for a little more pep. Is there any reason this manifold wouldn't meet my needs? Is the split opening a benefit or hindrance?

Also can somebody point out what 4 barrel adapter I would need? I want to run the adapter longitudinal. I thought that they would make so you could flip them either way. But the bolt pattern is 1/8" from being square.

http://

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Tom Lowe efied one but I think his has a little different flanges on the end like it had a bank so it could be drilled for bungs if that makes sense

Josh
72 gmc lwb air ride 5 speed (soon) turbo 292 II# 6102
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Makes perfect sense. That was a multiport setup. I have an aftermarket tbi style system. Guess I should have mentioned that.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Most all the newer Clifford intakes have the bungs added to the runner for possible EFI or nitrous mods. The pic you have is an older intake before they started doing this.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Well I don't plan on going multiport or nitrous so this mani should work for me? I just need some help finding the adapter I need. I seen that the offy's have the same bolt pattern for their intakes. They have a couple with that bolt pattern (3 3/4"x3 7/8") that adapts to the holley pattern. Unfortunately they don't give specs/drawings for the orientation of the patterns. Anybody have any leads or maybe links to such info?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Clifford has the adaptors on their website. Actually a nice billit part

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
I seen they have one but don't state the carb orientation either. Most of the pics I see of the clifford has the carb sideways so I just assumed that's the way their adapter sits. Am I missing something on their site? I guess if I get some free time I can call and ask.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Clifford adapters allow carb to go either orientation. Here's the link to theirs. HERE!

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Hmmmm. I don't see how that's possible. The bolt pattern on mine isn't square so you can't just simply rotate the adapter. Maybe the newer ones are? I'm going to have to call the companies to see if somebody can give me the info I need. Maybe I'll just grab a cheap spacer and drill a few holes in it.

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
When I put on my adapter when I had a Clifford I drilled holes ot slated them or something of that nature to turn a Tbi efied unit long ways

Josh
72 gmc lwb air ride 5 speed (soon) turbo 292 II# 6102
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
I just checked my older Clifford & adapter.
Sure enough the holes are 1/8" longer in 1 direction, I never noticed. They must REALLY want you to mount the carb sideways.

I used this same adapter on Tom Lowe's Offy intake when he loaned it to me for the Shootout. Worked fine, but again carb was sideways.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
FWIW I have recently acquired a Clifford dual quad intake. When I tried to put two carb adapters on that I already had on hand they did not match up to the manifold bolt pattern - EITHER WAY!

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Were they either clifford or offy adapters?

I decided to just make an adapter out of a run of the mill carb spacer. A question for the more knowledgeable is what bore would be best for atomization/distribution in these manifolds? 4 circle, divided, open bore?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
FTF, the adapters you had may have been from an Offy intake. Even though they look similar to the Clifford, I think they are purposely different on the bolt pattern to bolt the adapter(s) to the manifold. I think its a case of "you buy my intake and you also have to buy my adapter" mentality.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: rickoner
Were they either clifford or offy adapters?

I decided to just make an adapter out of a run of the mill carb spacer. A question for the more knowledgeable is what bore would be best for atomization/distribution in these manifolds? 4 circle, divided, open bore?

It strictly depends on your intended use. If you are going to do more low RPM street driving for instance, then a 4 hole spacer is more beneficial.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
CNC, You may be right - the adapters were unmarked and I just assumed they were Cliffords because I have never seen an Offy intake that used adapters.
What engines did Offy offer intakes for that required an adapter between the carb and their manifold? I may have a set of their adapters that are useless (to me, at least). I may just hog out a couple of adapters from stock - the Cliffords cost about $65 each. I can make a lot of chips to save $130.
Or maybe even hardwood...

I never did understand the parochial mentality of some mfgrs. to require the use of their support hardware. I know I am sure thankful my Autolite carbs bolt pattern is the same as a Holley.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I think the adapters are an inline thing since the plenums are so narrow relative to the width of a Holley carb. I know the Slant 6 Offy and Clifford use adapters and the Chevy inline intake do also. I just saw a Clifford intake on ebay for a 240/300 and it had the same looking adapter bolted to it.

Contributor
Online Content
Contributor
I have a Clifford manifold and adaptor on my 261 ci. I just change from a Carter AFB to one of Tom Lowe's 600 Holley 3 barrals. The Carter sat on the manifold side ways. So, I decide when I put the Holley on I wanted it to face the correct way. I had to hogged out the bolt holes on the adaptor to get it to work. Because, I didn't have the proper equipment to do it right it was a pain. But, I got it to work with no leaks. And I like the look with the carb sitting the way it should. For a street cruiser it works great.

Luke Lucas I.I. #516
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Here's what I ended up rigging up. Started out with a mr. Gasket 1"spacer (I wouldn't recommend using this one.) I thought it was solid but ended up being a cast piece with cavities between the faces. It's a little thin for counter sinking the pan head bolts.

Anyways. Did a little measuring and layout...

Looks pretty decent from here...

Had to do a bit of porting since the clifford casting is pretty poor/off.

This is what I planned on running on top of it. Now I'm not so sure. I picked it up used for a pretty good price. After a bit of reading I've found that these units are hit or miss. I think that if I could get what I paid for it, I'd sell it and spring for a more reputable brand.

For now I'm happy to have saved a few $$$ making this adaptor. $25 compared to $50-60. Woo hoo!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 364 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available