Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Diceman, Glad to see you back with more of your build. Any reports on the 25,000 miles?

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 01/04/15 02:46 AM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Thanks,
Overall it has been very good. I did have a computer failure. It was a salvage yard unit so I wasn't too surprised. One of the goals we had when we started this project was to use as many OEM components as possible for ease of service. This played out well when the computer crapped out. A trip to Oriellys and $89 exchange and we're back in business. If it had been an aftermarket unit I would have been down for at least 4 or 5 days and much more expense. That is about the only issue we have had with the fuel injection system. The truck starts and runs beautifully and really is a pleasure to drive. Can't wait to get the new engine and supercharger installed.

E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
Are you going to do a blow through system?

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Yes, It will be a blow through system with a new 2 bar MAP sensor and operating system to handle the extra boost.

E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
Check if you will need to boost reference the fuel pressure regulator. Since you are using a GM ECM - it will depend on what the ECM was designed for.

Just an aside ...

Are you controlling the timing with the ECM?

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
We are already referencing manifold pressure on the regulator and the timing is ECM controlled.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I finished my supercharger conversion and rebuild today. It was pretty straight forward and without any real surprises. Unfortunately I had a camera malfunction so there aren't many pictures of the actual assembly.

[img:left]http://s532.photobucket.com/user/diceman50/media/Supercharger/forum1.jpg.html[/img]

[img:left]http://s532.photobucket.com/user/diceman50/media/Supercharger/forum2.jpg.html[/img]

[img:left]http://s532.photobucket.com/user/diceman50/media/Supercharger/forum4.jpg.html[/img]

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
So, You cut the snout and remover the solenoid and variable drive stuff? I'm not sure if I want to do that. My son did it on his Stude and went to a two belt set up.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
So, You cut the snout and remover the solenoid and variable drive stuff? I'm not sure if I want to do that. My son did it on his Stude and went to a two belt set up.

How did it work out for your son?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It worked well enough to scare the crap out of me when I drove it. He blew two stock trannys in 2nd gear just before shifting into 3rd when the supercharged 289 Stude V8 was just trying to turn the screws a bit more than the T-86 Borg could bear. It liked the WC T-5 better and allowed him to stay on it longer and pump all the oil into the valve covers. That is not something the bottom end likes, a problem with Stude V8s. All in all I think the McCulloch worked pretty well. laugh

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Well, I finally got my 261 back from the machine shop. Then I promptly left town for nearly a week to attend the Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale. Unfortunately on the way home I caught some kind of cold/flu bug and was out of commission for another week. I have been trying to catch up on some other projects ever since. Now I am waiting for some warm weather so I can give the engine block a thorough cleaning with hot soapy water. I did take some pictures of the machined parts though. Still waiting for the camshaft.

[img]http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee330/diceman50/261%20engine/20150205_130211.jpg[/img]

D
dep Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
I checked with Hillbourn for a 261, yes they do either mechanical or electronic but get ready to shell out the Big Bucks, also check with Fast I think that they can now set up multiple
throttle bodies(like the singles that were on the S10's), would'ent that be KOOL 3 of them on a log manifold, either way$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$-------------Dave

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I have been posting updates of this project on several different forums. As I was getting ready to update this one I couldn't believe I haven't done so since February. So in an effort to do a better job I have decided to concentrate my efforts on only one. It seems that most of my recent activity has been on 67-72chevytrucks.com. There is no particular reason except I find it easier to post pictures there (for me anyway) and my good friend and neighbor Z10 has been posting his project there also. Which I have done a lot of work on.

So, if any one is interested you can find updates at the following link. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=653268 There is quite a bit more recent content there already.

I am not mad at anyone. Just trying to make better use of my time. Also, I am not leaving. I will still be keeping up with what's going on here.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Update on the 261 engine swap and McCulloch supercharger on my 1958 Apache, I am happy to report that everything is up and running and I am very happy with the results. Before I pulled the old engine out I did some performance runs with my G Tech meter so I could measure the difference. The old engine was painfully slow and averaged 21.88 seconds from 0 to 60 MPH. Of course the truck is heavy at 4160 lbs. and has the aerodynamics of brick. When I made the same runs with the new engine and supercharger I thought my G Tech was broken. I made about 6 runs to make sure it was right. The modifications knocked 10 seconds off my previous times for an average of 10.83 seconds. Not fast by any measure, but at least I can get out on the Interstate without being in the way.

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee330...1128_151130.jpg

http://s532.photobucket.com/user/diceman50/media/Supercharger/Hank%20Plenum/20160204_195011.jpg.html

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Great progress. This has been a long process but unlike several others you have stuck with it and kept us with you. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 296 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available