Print Thread
Rate Thread
#89323 04/19/16 12:47 AM
D
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
D
So, through discussion with a work mate today, we wondered this...
The exhaust port seems to be the Achilles heel of our beloved inline engine, so what if a cam were ground to the effect of opening the exhaust valve first (making it the intake, under pressure from the turbo which somewhat negates the need for good flow). Then the intake, which can have the lumps installed to increase flow, would serve as the exhaust.
Having the small valve be the intake is not ideal, but under the boost pressure, is it that bad?
Has anyone ever tried this?
I am not sold on the hybrid cylinder head, and in reality... Who can afford a 12 port head! Not a blue collar father with two small children!

Thoughts???

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Sounds pretty bad ass to me and the fact all intake (exhaust) cylinders would be solo no scavenging

But I am sure there in something to it that I am unaware of

Josh
72 gmc lwb air ride 5 speed (soon) turbo 292 II# 6102
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
If you found a semi newer one with the egr tunes you are half way to fuel injection; )

Josh
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
I have an old head we could cut up and see how feasible this is I know the cam would be expensive but other than that and some u shroud ingredients of the head and the exhaust valve enlarged

Josh
T
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
T
People used to do this with Buick Nailhead engines back in the 60's.

All you really need is a cam ground with the appropriate firing order for switching them around and then build the associated intake and exhaust system to bolt to the head.

Adding the largest exhaust valve you can fit without making the intake valve bigger would work to your advantage.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Most ports flow much worst in reverse than forward, so you may not be gaining anything, or backing up altogher. Just divide the intake ports and have the best of both worlds. The exhaust port flows much less than the untouched siamese intake port, and again much less in reverse flow to be considered for an intake port.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
D
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
D
What I was thinking is that under boost, heaps of air is going in... But is quite restricted on the exhaust side due to the small valve and runner size/design.
I see it done with V8s all the time.
I was curious as to whether it would work for turbo inline application.

On the note of poor flowing exhaust side... Could the duration of the exhaust be increased to allow for more spent gasses to escape?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I think you'll be creating problems where there are none. You mentioned not being able to afford a 12 Port head, but you'll spend that much or more fabbing an intake and exhaust and all the other custom things required to find it won't work and be stuck with money invested in something you can't recoup. Just stick with what works and you'll be fine and happier.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The newest issue of the 12 Port News shows a build with a brazed lump head and supercharged 292 with a divided port plate. This yielded his best ET at the track after trying other methods to eliminate his fuel robbing issues because of the siamese port problem. Its just that simple and easy.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 533 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available