Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#88903 03/05/16 11:38 AM
F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
Hello..long time since I've been here..I'm looking to do a freshen up and have 2 weird leaks to deter..one on top of the fuel pump around the exit flange,I have smelled the oil, I can't sense fuel in the oil,,but.??...can oil follow up the arm through the diaphrams...?, and the other, underneath cylinder 2 and 3 exhaust manifold port, the top side is dry no leaks...the plugs are burning well..I might see a faint oil burn in that exhuast pipe but it dissipates quickly like steam...I'm going to try to figure out how to get some pics on..

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
Man..I cannot find "file manager". Is it not viewable from Android ops

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
To post pics on forums you have to use a photo hosting website like imageshack or photobucket and others.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

Thanks CNC..its been awhile

Last edited by fingersix; 03/06/16 02:29 AM.
F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
I had a fuel pump go bad and leak like that at first. Then, later, I had oil squirting out of the weep hole on the side of the fuel pump. Hard to find for me, though, because I had a mechanical fan at the time and the oil didn't leak until I was in the higher RPM's. The fan sprayed the oil all around the engine bay.

Replaced the fuel pump and no problems since. Cheap fix.

The other leak is probably the valve cover. Oil travels pretty far when it leaks.

Last edited by gbauer; 03/07/16 11:34 AM.
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I would say valve cover, as it is finicky if you don't have the bolts snug. But I don't see any oil on the cylinder head above the manifolds, or on the intake? It looks like it might be coming from the had gasket under the forward intakes. Perhaps the lump allen bolt needs torquing?

Love the old truck air cleaner. Would like to see some overall shots of the engine bay. Looks pretty.

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
Thanks guys..I am going to replace the pump..no problem..the top side is dry...if the lump bolt in the intake is out of spec can it leak oil over to the exhuast side over or under the head gasket?? It didn't even think oil ran that area..the return holes are on the opposite side of the head...maybe the darn head is cracked...

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
Here is a compartment shot..before the crinkle paint came off that cover.. That kinda started me wanting to freshen it up.. [img]http://[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/fingersix/IMG_9778.jpg[/img][/img]

Last edited by fingersix; 03/07/16 11:54 PM.
F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Nice engine bay. Very clean. Looks like you're running coolant the heater plate. Yeah the black crinkle valve cover looks better than the chrome one.

Yeah, you're probably right on the oil return, nothing on that side of the head but coolant. It must be oil getting out from under the valve cover or through a crack. I just don't see where it is coming from above the manifolds.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That head leak seems to be coming from the exhaust port.
Wonder if the exhaust guide and seal are passing oil when it is shut off. It then leaks from the port.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
That head leak seems to be coming from the exhaust port.
Wonder if the exhaust guide and seal are passing oil when it is shut off. It then leaks from the port.

Makes sense. That means the seal or guide are leaking, as well as the manifold gasket.

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
Couldn't possibly be that much oil from the exhaust guide and seal. During normal run times it would be pushed out the exhaust too fast to leak that much and when the engine is shut off the oil would have to defy gravity to go up the boss and down the valve stem.

I have the same leak. I think it's a combination of things. I think it's the cheap chrome valve cover (we have the same one... doesn't seal too well, does it?) and the air filter on the valve cover. I think I have bad valve guides and seals so a head job is in my near future (tax refund? Could do it now but the wife.... well... she says I spend too much on the car as it is!) but for now I'm trying to mitigate the leak as much as possible.

I was inspired by your wrinkle paint and decided to dig out my original valve cover and do the same last night. It's still drying so I won't install it until tomorrow. I'm hoping it seals up a whole lot better and looks good while at it.

If I like the look I'll probably paint my air filter lid with the same stuff and just have chrome accents on the engine.

The OEM cover seals much better than the flimsy chrome cover. I've been fighting it for a year now and I'm done. If this works but doesn't look good I'll buy a cast and polished cover.

I also plan on fixing that rats nest of plug wires this weekend as well as going through my carb again.

Last edited by gbauer; 03/11/16 11:46 AM.
F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
Man..I know that top side is dry..from looking when I took the black one off.the oil was present before the chrome one...the crinkle failed after 10 years..that's what confused me looking at this..I will look real close when I swap the black one on..see if I can see any crack or anything..I will pull the manifolds too...see if that tells anything..

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
Hi,
I had a couple thoughts regarding the oil leak problem with the valve cover or manifold.

First I see that the chrome valve cover on gbauer's engine is the cheap import, but the cover in fingersix's photo shows a factory valve cover(see script?). I consider the import scrap. But the factory cover ought to seal assuming it's straight and a good gasket installed.
As to the exhaust leaking oil, I'm thinking you might want to pull the valve cover and make sure the oil return holes in the head are open. If oil builds up because it can't return to the pan fast enough it could leak down guide when engine is shut off. Take a look for cracks on valve guide bosses too.

The aftermarket manifolds some times don't play well together where they meet on the mounting surface. If one or both flanges are a hair too wide and they don't have clearance next to each other they may not fit flush to the head and as you tighten the bolts down one runner may bow out away from head.
In my case it made for a hard to find vacuum leak as the gap was at bottom of center intake port. I didn't find it till gas started leaking out and down block. ( yes it was hard to start with a big vacuum leak!)
Hope this helps. Let us all know what you find.

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
OK..I got the manifolds off....my assumption is oil seeping from the head block surface right at the gasket below a freeze plug and it might run along till the mid exhuast thins it out enough to run down the block...???? I am going to try to get pics on again..here goes..

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
its really wet at the gasket location right around 1-2 intake, from like under the freeze plug to the set screw for the lump,, and run down the line to the middle exhaust,,,, could I have not torqued the head exactly, properly and over the years got some warping and the oil travels under the head gasket from the return holes,,,??? looks like i may be pulling the head,,,what do you guys think,,?

G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
I'll still bet real money it's the valve cover and not the head. I've found oil has a magical way of traveling...

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Did you check the head bolt torque. I would check it just to see if it is still tight and even.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
Nope. Nope . nope on the valve cover..its dry as a bone around..I was trying to show that with the one pic from the top...I'm going to look again...for the torque..its been so many years is there a different spec for the Allen, having to use an extension piece and the adapter..doesn't it loose pounds for the multiple pieces from my wrench to the head.?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You can tell from the last few pics that the front intake port is real oily and the lower half of the intake gasket is oil soaked. It also looks like the rear intake port is as well.

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
CNC..the gasket isn't there..that is impression...but I agree oily...??? Is that a tell tail for anything...

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yes, its a sign of something! Also if the gasket is gone oil was leaking behind it then for the gasket surface on the head to be oil soaked. How fresh is the head work?

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
The engine and head is about 12 or 13 years it is a sissel done head and Larry "twisted 6" did the lumps...seems like forever ago..

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
I swapped manifolds somewhere in the middle from a Clifford to the offy...

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have another theory for you to check. Another inliner pointed this out to me. See if you PCV is passing oil into the intake manifold. It can than track into a certain port and pollute that cylinder and show up tracking out the intake port.

Last edited by tlowe #1716; 04/24/16 10:16 AM.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
Well I know I am going to take a hammering on this......lol..I sucked on the hose...with even the lightest pressure I can breath..with just alittle force it feels wide open.....how do you really check these...

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
You would think the back port would be dirty...the hose plumbs in right in that runner..

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If the inside of the intake manifold runners are also oily, it could indicate the pcv valve is allowing oil to be drawn thru it into the engine. Is the valve cover baffled where the pcv installs into it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (41 Coupe), 381 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available