Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
I've discovered a product that I think will help with T5 conversions. It's expensive and it uses a Ford T5 but I think it's worth taking a good look at. http://moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/front-shift-T5-tailhousing.htm

Last edited by Juicetone; 04/12/16 09:33 PM.
L
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
L
That is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing the info. I'm gonna call them tomorrow and find out what the price is. I know it will be expensive. I'm not aware of any other vendor selling them.

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
$675

J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Originally Posted By: Lugnutz
That is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing the info. I'm gonna call them tomorrow and find out what the price is. I know it will be expensive. I'm not aware of any other vendor selling them.

No problem, I stumbled up on it today. Modern Driveline is the only carrier because they've engineered it from what I understand. It looks like they have 2 different versions; one is $650 and the other $675 like Casual 6 said. Don't get a very good description of what makes the difference though.

L
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
L
That price is ridiculous. The price of a new Tremec 5 or 6 speed with warranty looks much more attractive.
Ha! Just 3 weeks ago I found a 1985 S10 NWC T5 with a cable speedo connection and the 0.72 OD gear. Rare find, I agree. Best part was it has only 55K miles and looked brand new inside. I inspected and cleaned it up inside, did the Jeep input shaft swap with a new bearing and new output seal. The buyer will pick it up this month and he can bolt it up to his bell immediately. I'm charging him $600 out the door.

J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Yes sir. I imagine the price is paying for partly the R&D and it's built what looks to be a lot tougher than the original tailshaft.

I do want to say that what you've done with the T5's has been very useful! I've looked at your page several times to obtain information for reference and knowledge. So thanks so much for sharing.

About the option we may choose; I think an S10 may be too weak for us to go behind our 292. So this option may work out to be able to use a rebuilt Mustang T5 with this tailshaft. We'll see.

L
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
L
I read through their description and I'm sure it fills a need in the Ford T5 community, but to me it looks like it will only work with a WC T5. That really limits options for the GM guys like me because the 1989-1992 S10 T5s are NWC and have the VSS speedo.

I find the following statement from their web page confusing.

"It will not work with non-WC transmissions (S10 pre-'92, Camaro's pre-92, Mustangs pre-'85)."
The 1988-1992 Camaro T5s ARE WC. The pre-1987 Camaro T5 is NWC. Their web page designer probably doesn't know what the tech people know and wrote it wrong (one would hope that's the case at least).

J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Clearly I don't know this much about T5's. smile I did have an idea of possibly using the GM (read Camaro) case so it would bolt up. And using the Mustang gears, mainshaft etc. so the speedometer would still have a connection in the tailshaft section.

They do mention that the WC is required due to the tailshaft oiling.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 420 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available