Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
I am new to this site and this is my first post. Hoping this knowledgeable and experienced community can help put together a comprehensive list of the 292 conversion issues (and which ones also apply to a 250). The plan is to pull the 194 from my 1963 Chevy II Wagon this winter and replace it with a 250 or 292 with a turbo (in either case).

I read through the great series of posts by 63ChevyII documenting his 292 conversion. It is clear that there are several challenges to converting to the 292 (not to mention the added challenges for a turbo install). My biggest concern is space inside the small Chevy II engine compartment. I know the 292 will fit, but not sure about a 292 with turbo and associated equipment (without doing something radical).

Anyway, it would be great if members can review the list below and comment as required to make this accurate. Having this scoped out accurately will help me make a decision and start searching for an engine. You input is greatly appreciated!

Issue 1: Motor Mount Offset
Resolution: Adapter Bracket
Same for 250? No

Issue 2: Fuel Pump Blocked by Motor Mount Adapter
Resolution: Electric Fuel Pump
Same for 250? Yes (for my application)

Issue 3: Oil Pan Interference
Resolution: Plan to Convert to Rack-and-Pinion
Same for 250? Yes

Issue 4: Dipstick Location (assumes 250 pan on 292)
Resolution: Use Pan Dipstick or Drill Block
Same for 250? No

Issue 5: Oil Pickup Mount
Resolution: Use 250 Pickup Mount
Same for 250? No

Issue 6: Hood Clearance
Resolution: Make Sure Enough Space
(Hard to do now since not sure space required for turbo setup)
Same for 250? No

Issue 7: Radiator Clearance
Resolution: Use Electric Fan(s) or Modify Pulley
Same for 250? ??? Need help on this one

Issue 8: Alternator Mount
Resolution: Bracket (depends on block)
Same for 250? ??? Need help on this one

Issue 8: Motor Mount Strength
Resolution: Convert to V8 mounts?
Same for 250? Yes? (due to turbo and higher HP)

Also, I should mention that this is for street application for now. The 250 is fine for my current application, but I would hate to regret not maximizing inline CID in case my intentions change in the future.

Thanks Again!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Most of your concerns for the 292 swap are minor and easily resolved except for the addition of the turbo. You will likely have to fab your exhaust and turbo mounting setup since the Chevy II engine compartment is very tight. And depending on your fab skills may not be a big deal for you anyway. Your oil pick-up mount may depend on how much you have to modify the oil pan to clear the crossmember, it could remain in its original location. This is one of those swaps that you need to mock up and check and re-check until you systematically eliminate all the issues, because some of them are contingent on other modifications and some are not. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Here is also a more detailed parts list for a typical Chevy II/292 swap in case you haven't seen it. HERE!

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Thanks for the response CNC-Dude. I think you are correct in saying that the greater challenge will be the turbo install. So the key question might be: Will the turbo be any harder for the 292 over the 250? I will be dealing with the same engine compartment constraints either way, other than the height. If I have to run a pipe or something of significant size over the engine, the 250 would allow more space. Ideally I would not have to run anything of significant size over the engine and the larger tubing could be routed around the engine instead. But it is a bit of an unknown for me at this point. Perhaps I should be asking members that have a turbo installed to post photos of their installation and measure how much higher the components protrude above the engine?

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
Welcome!!

This install HAS been done successfully. The one I recall was actually very neat and clean! Patience, diligence, and a lot of trial and error can make you a terrific ride!!

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Landon did a great job documenting this swap. I think the 292 may be a better choice for the turbo than a 250 or other short deck engine. The extra deck height of the 292 raises the exhaust away from the steering components more than the shorter deck 194-250 engines for a turbo install. It still will be tight, but not as much so with the shorter deck engines.

B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Interesting point about the higher deck being a potential advantage. I have read through Landon's posts and they were very helpful. One thing that was not totally clear to me was whether or not using the standard 292 pan is also possible. Landon used a 250 pan and had to do some work to remount the oil pickup. But if I could use a standard 292 pan that comes with the motor then that would be one less thing to deal with. I presume the standard 292 pan presents even more interference issues with a stock steering setup, but I was planning on converting to a rack-and-pinion setup from Church Boys Racing, which will definitely help with a 250 pan clearance, just not sure about a 292 pan.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Well, the 292 sump is longer toward the front of the engine, and may require more chopping to fit around the crossmember, but can be done. Also, a non-292 pan can work also, but will require some clearancing internally for the longer stroke of the 292, but not a problem and has been done successfully many, many times with no problems and also for crossmember fitment.

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
I have put a 292 into two different '64 Chevelles.
I used the Chevelle oil pan, oil pump pickup, and dipstick.
(Can't speak to other model pans fitting)
The clearance between crank and pan, and between crank and oil pump pickup need checked. Be sure to properly tighten the clamp to the main cap bearing bolt.

Pete

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Thanks Guys. I spoke with Chuck from Church Boys Racing because I am planning on converting to their rack-and-pinion setup which eliminates the stock cross-member and steering linkage. The nice thing is that the linkage interference issue goes away (no need to notch pan near rear sump) BUT he said that the front of a standard 250 pan will just BARELY clear the rack. The 292 pan is deeper in the front, so it sounds like I will have to use a 250 pan regardless. I was really hoping that I could use the deeper 292 pan, but oh well.

CNC-Dude, I noticed you had given some advice to Landon regarding his 250 oil pickup bracket modification for the 292. Do you know why the bracket had to be modified? Shouldn't a stock 250 oil pickup and bracket work with a 250 pan on the 292 without modification? Or is there something different about the crank that causes interference and requires a little tweaking?

B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Sorry, I also just noticed that Issue #4 above is incorrect. I believe the correct notes should be:

Issue 4: Dipstick Location (only if trying to use mid sump pan)
Resolution: Use Rear Sump Pan or Drill Block
Same for 250? Depends on specific 250?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
PM sent!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The 250 pickup tube will hit the cranks weights when used on a 292. Simply bend the pickup tube to clear the weights and rod of the 292 and you are good.
For more oil, wings can always be added to any pan that is used, baffles will also help if this is done.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Thanks guys! Very helpful. Would like to be able to use the 292 pan and pickup if possible. The rack-and-pinion setup will only interfere in the front so, depending on how much, might be able to modify 292 pan and make it work. Will be hard to know until I get it installed and take some measurements. Thanks again!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The 292 pans are 1" deeper.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
Hey guys, brand new here.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know a good source for 250 pans? I'm just starting a 292 swap into my '63 Nova.

The nearest pick-n-pull is an hour away so if there another source that would be great, or if there's a listing somewhere (I can't seem to find one) on what vehicles would likely have the pan I need that would be good too. I just don't want to drive an hour each way not to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks and great forum.

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
The pan for a '62 to '67 ChevyII is different than all the others to allow for the steering.

You'll need one for that series of vehicle or you'll need to modify the suspension.

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
I understand it needs to be clearanced etc, I was just under the impression it had to be a rear sump 250.

Is this not the case?

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
The pan for the Chevy IIs is a rear sump, but the portion where the steering passes is also more shallow than the rest of the pan. It rolls off on the sides as well.

We used to build pans with an oval shaped tube passing from one side to the other for the center link to pass through so that we could increase capacity.

There used to be a couple of aftermarket pans out there, but I haven't looked in YEARS!!

Somebody here should have a picture of the Chevy II pan.

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
OK thanks.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as this project comes about. Can't believe I've never been here before, I've got a '66 Mustang I/6, '66 C10 I/6, '90 Jeep Wrangler I/6 and the '63 Chevy II. This place is the jewel hiding in plain site.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 452 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available