Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90968 11/28/16 10:08 PM
D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
I have a simple question. What sort of advantages are to be gained by putting a 194 head on a 250 Chevy? I am aware that they increase the ccompression, but by how much? And before you ask I am not boilding a race car by any means, just trying to get a bit more out of it beyond a Marine cam, which I have, a 292 exhaust manafold which I have, and last but not least a small Rochester 2G from a 307 which I have..
Thanks for your input.

David Chandler
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
More compression, more valve shrouding with bigger valves. Likely no improvement. Better to deck the stock cylinder head to reduce CCs that way. Better to put lumps in with 1.84" intake and 1.6" exhaust. Bowl work, intake flashing cleanup, and polish on the chamber and exhaust helps too.

IntegratedJ has had luck with a Dualjet he just put on an integrated Varajet head, the Rochester 2G is better than Monojet even on stock intake. A HD 292 exhaust manifold with a 2.5" exit is a cheaper improvement too, or Langdon's Stovebolt cast headers with water heat (or if you have a truck there are headers available).

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
The small 58cc head will typically raise the CR by 1.3 to 1.4 points vs the 72cc head. Since they vary you really have to cc each head to compare.

As discussed/debated often here, the small head responds better on bigger engines if it also has bigger valves AND is unshrouded, which will add a few to that 58cc.

For some numbers, I went into the Gonkulator and swapped a stock 194 head onto a bone stock 250/155hp. The Gonkulator picked up 3 ftlb and 6hp ; the little head gives higher CR but is otherwise not quite as good. That's the best I can MODEL the head. For actual differences you'd just have to try it or read the many threads on this topic here!

D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Thank you for the information. I don't have a 194 head to go by, so I was simply looking at options. I had considered 1.84 intake valves too, but had no idea if unshrouding would be needed. Likewise I'd probably do a bit of port work but nothing extreme. I do have a 250 head though, and it could be milled if and when it goes in for valve work. It came from a 73 Omega which was rolled over, so obviously it was running at the time. When winter comes around I'll have to pull it apart and see what it looks like. And of course it would save me from buying another head; although I have to bottom end of 2 engines at the moment, and only one head and mamafold combination to work with.
Again, thanks for the replys, it's food for thought!

David Chandler

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 216 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available