Rate Thread
#83 04/29/03 02:39 AM
W
Weasel Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
W
I'm looking for information this engine!! I've asked the Jeep guys!! They cant give me much, cause they usually swap them for something Bigger. All I know is that the engine came in early Wagoneers and some Military vehicles in the 60's.
I'm looking for someplace that has parts and upgrades!!
Thanks,
Anthony

#84 04/30/03 04:19 AM
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
I've only seen one of these motors, in a Wagoneer.

#85 04/30/03 02:58 PM
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
This engine wasn't very durable, partly since it was just a new OHC head on the old Cont. looong stroke, smallll bore engine. Most all of them are either resting or rusting. If you are keen on the engine, keep your eyes open in out of the way yards. If you are keen on 6-cyl engines, a 292 cu. in. 6 will bolt right in using Chev V8 adapters, you already have the long main input shaft in your trans. This will perform quite well. You can probably keep your original radiator.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Weasel:
I'm looking for information this engine!! I've asked the Jeep guys!! They cant give me much, cause they usually swap them for something Bigger. All I know is that the engine came in early Wagoneers and some Military vehicles in the 60's.
I'm looking for someplace that has parts and upgrades!!
Thanks,
Anthony

------------------

#86 04/30/03 11:32 PM
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
While in Viet Nam and in Korea in the late 60's I experienced the frustration of these engines. They always broke down, they had absolutly no power and heaven forbid if you had to use the 4 wheel drive!. They burned oil, fouled plugs and they were the last to leave the motor pool!

Unless you are doing a period correct restoration of a Jeep, or for some strange reason you are into self punishment I wish you the best of luck. Go for it and enjoy

------------------
8's are great, but a 6 is sweet...

[This message has been edited by Shortbed Shorty (edited 04-30-2003).]

8's are great, but a 6 is sweet...
#87 05/01/03 02:03 AM
W
Weasel Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
W
Thanks for all your input!!
I was hoping to leave this rig relatively stock, but, if I do swap the engine I'll probably go the SBC route.
I was really wondering if any of you might know of a parts supplier that might have parts for this engine?
Thanks,
Anthony

#88 05/02/03 06:55 PM
Contributor
Contributor
Kanter auto parts has engine parts and rebuild kits: http://www.kanter.com

1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.
#89 05/04/03 12:33 AM
W
Weasel Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
W
Thanks alot!! Kanter has a complete rebuild kit for it!!

#90 05/04/03 12:53 AM
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
I posted my response in the wrong area, but I agree with those above. I was a civilian mechanic for the Army and we had a bunch of M714s with that engine. The rest of the power train was indestructable, but the engine gave a lot of problems. It was not very powerful and when overworked they'd come apart. Military drivers can destroy a steel ball and they kept us busy working on, or replacing engines. A 250, or 292 swap would be a vast improvement! Don't waste your money on that sucker!

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
#91 05/16/03 03:08 AM
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
I collect MVs and avoid the M715 because of this engine, it is bad news!!

#92 06/01/03 11:19 AM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
These engines get an unfair bad rap! The biggest problem was maintenance -- the long timng chain needed more maintenance than a conventional engine, and the entire valve train was different. Mechanics simply didn't know what to do with it! I must admit that it was underpowered when stuck in a heavy duty truck like the M-715 and Wagoneer. Kaiser could have rectified that and other minor problems early on, but it wasn't economically feasible. They simply weren't selling enough vehicles! The proof that the engine itself isn't bad comes from Argentina. Kaiser negotiated a deal with the Argentine government to build cars in Argentina. The 230 Tornado was moved down there -- they wanted as much of the car built in Argentina as possible. Kaiser bought body dies from AMC to produce the Argentine Torino in the Kaiser plant, and assembled knock-down kits of the bigger AMC cars (as well as continued making Jeeps). In 1969, a Torino won it's class in the 24 hour race at Nurburing, Germany, WITH A 230 OHC TORNADO! The Tornado was built through 1982 in Argentina, and put out a maximum of 178 hp in production trim w/3 Weber 45 side draft carbs. They even destroked it to 180 inches. Of course the Torino weighed less than the big Wagoneer/M-715, just over 2,500 lbs. roads are rougher and service further between in Argentina, at least at that time, but they were used to dealing with European cars, and OHC was nothing new. A big limiting factor in the engine design is the single cam lobe for intake and exhaust. Still, the Argentines managed to get around this -- the Torino was a favorite amongst racers through the 70s, and there are still a few racing in Argentina today.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars Magazine
for AMC/Rambler owners
http://www.amc-mag.com
#93 06/01/03 08:39 PM
T
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
T
I remeber the Tornado engine in the 714 military vehicle when I was in the service stateside in 67-68.I had duty at a vehicle issue yard in Colorado, the vehicles came in brand new from from St Louis I think, driven by civilians, one driven, one being towed, always running on 5 cylinders, burned valve or bad cam.Half way through the trip , the driver switched tow and towed vehicles cause the first vehicle lost a cylinder.When they were running on 6 way faster than the very dependable but bog slow flathead Mopar 4x4 ammo carrier(like a Power Wagon) that it replaced.
Rebuilt carefully ,the Tornado engine would probably be fine for typical Inliner use.
My old Motors Manual lists the following specs for the 230;bore 3.334, stroke4.375,c/r 8.5, HP 140 @4000,normal oil psi 50, timing 5 degrees,points .020, plugs AE-42 .030, valve clearance .006 intake and exhaust cold

[This message has been edited by Tony P (edited 06-01-2003).]

70 Triumph 650 cc ECTA current record holder
#94 06/11/03 05:12 PM
C
Newcomer
Newcomer
C
As you can see, i´m from Argentina and let me tell you, Torinos here are still alive and well, there are 2 of them racing in Turismo Carretera (the most popular closed course category here, because of the old cars, at least in looks), but they use Dodge Cherokee engines because the tornado was banned many years ago, it was getting really powerful, and development stopped somewhat, but regional classes still race with them, and hopped up cars can be seen everyday here, including some in 1/4 mile action (i´m living in Buenos Aires right now), and a couple months ago i saw a guy do a 11 flat second pass, his coupe was turbocharged and had nitrous, but still was all steel (including bumpers), and he drove to the track like a regular car!!!
Many performance parts like cams, intakes, pistons, etc...are available here.
Martín

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available