Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Contributor
Contributor
I
Gbauer, forgive me if this has been asked before, how did you get that valve cover to look like that? Crinkle finish paint? That Camaro looks great by the way. Jay

G
gbauer Offline OP
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
G
It's just crinkle Paint and a 1954 210 trunk emblem. Came out nice, though.

G
gbauer Offline OP
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
G

Haven't wired up the lockup in the trans yet but did try to fire her up last night after adding fluids, priming with a drill to flush out any debris in the engine (just to be sure), draining and refilling the oil with good stuff, and putting it together.

Didn't run due to timing but did fire and run for a couple seconds. I think the dust shield is interfering with the torque converter so I'm going to pull it off for now and get spacers in there (heard some noise and I suspected it was going to be a problem when I put it on. Seemed a bit too close but couldn't tell for sure).

I'll go back to basics on the timing and find TDC again today.

On a brighter note: The drill gave 40 psi on the oil pressure gauge so that's solved! 40 psi with a drill spinning the pump is probably great pressure.

All that's left is the transmission wiring, timing, dust cover on the TC, testing the trans pressures to make sure the TV is set right (I'm nearly positive it is), hood and new shift bezel (which I can't find but I know I ordered the darn thing!).

M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
well done, valve cover looks awesome.

G
gbauer Offline OP
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
G
Well yesterday I got it running pretty well, put it in gear and.... nothing. Didn't move. No noise. No motion. No change in RPM.

Panick mode set in. Do I have a bad trans? Bad converter? Forget to put in the drive shaft? What the hell did I do?!?!?!

Pulled off the dust cover and found the problem. Some idiot forgot to bolt the flex plate to the torque converter.

So she drives! Have more work to do but she does drive. Torque converter doesn't want to lock up, though, so no burnouts yet. Also need to wire up the 3rd and 4th lockup, brake switch and vacuum switch. Putting my 1" spacer back on the carb too, checking the gap on the plugs and plug wires for snugness.

Oh and the hood is back on!

Have to increase the cold idle, lean out the choke a bit, and make her run smoother. Maybe lean out the carb also. Idle air circuit isn't set right (idle is searching).

So, long story short, she runs but not well yet.

Oh and the speedo gear will definitely need to be changed.

The rear end gearing seems fine for cruising. Probably not doing that this spring as originally planned. Instead I'll go efi. Rather sick of fighting the carb.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 333 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available