Print Thread
Rate Thread
#91475 02/28/17 12:05 PM
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Hi everyone, I am trying to salvage a GMC 302 in the local scrap yard. It has a Clark 205V325 attached. Is it worth my trouble to buy it along with the 302? I think it is not a overdrive 5 speed, or is it? Let me know, I will be picking it up tomorrow.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I tried to look it up and what little I found indicates a 5 speed with 5th being OD. A common setup in old trucks. Many also had 2 or 3 speed rear ends. The trans will be big and heavy with a very low 1st gear and not really useable in anything other than a truck. Good luck with your 302. Get as much as you can.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Thank you, were did you look it up? So the next time I need to I can try it. The 302 is in a 1 1/2ton chassis. It was converted to be used as a spray truck with a tank on the back and a spray bar across the front. I was not sure if I would try and pull the motor until I was able to turn the motor over with no problem. It had a adapter bolted to the front of the motor that powered a hydraulic pump in front of the motor.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I just copied the description from your post and did a Google search. I'm sure some of the old truck sites would have some info. If you can get 302s or even 270s for free or cheap and you see no obvious cracks they are worth your time whether they turn or not. There are a lot more cranks and rods than there are blocks and heads. An obvious place for cracks is on the side along the water jacket behind the manifolds. Even most of those can be fixed. Guys go to great lengths to fix crack in Ford flatheads and the 302s are approaching that rarity.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
There's some info on the transmissions in the charts at the bottom of this page:

http://6066gmcguy.com/SM420.html

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available