Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Okay, I messed up my offy intake on my camaro l6-250 and have a leak at the plugs. Disconnected the water last weekend, took a long drive at 45F. Seems to be just fine. It never gets that cold here in the Pacific northwest.

I am lazy, don't want to pull the intake off.

At what temperature do you think the heated intake really matter? Does the water perform necessary cooling when it's really hot?

Thanks!

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Those core plugs will always leak, maybe not right away, but eventually. So you are at eventually! Do you need to heat the intake, even in warm weather? The short answer is yes, the bottom of the intake needs heat to properly atomize the fuel. It will run, you might not even notice a big difference but it's there. Usually runs rich, maybe a little stumble. I know you don't want to pull the intake, buts it's the proper repair. Have some plugs welded over the steel core plugs. At the same time, if you are using a plate with a gasket for the bottom, have the plate welded to the intake and no chance of leaking from then on.

Last edited by mdonohue05; 03/25/17 10:49 PM.
T
Contributor
Contributor
T
For the benefit of you and the engine.....fix it and run the water heating system. Your engine will thank you.

1966 C10 292/tko600 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596643
1964 C20 292/sm420
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: mdonohue05
The short answer is yes, the bottom of the intake needs heat to properly atomize the fuel.

I concur - without heat you may even end up with fuel pooling on the floor of the manifold. Even in the summer-time my Carter W1 would ice at the base on first start-up and then thaw after the exhaust manifold warmed the intake . . .

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Yeah, I'll fix it. Just hoping I can do it in less than a month downtime. If I could trust someone to do it for me on such a custom and uncommon setup, I'd do that. Now I'm scheming a plan for the third week of April.

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250
G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
Originally Posted By: mshaw230
Yeah, I'll fix it. Just hoping I can do it in less than a month downtime. If I could trust someone to do it for me on such a custom and uncommon setup, I'd do that. Now I'm scheming a plan for the third week of April.

If you take it off and clean the area well any shop can do it while you wait. Shouldn't be a big deal.

That said I epoxied mine and it held for over 2 years without a drop of leakage. I had more trouble sealing up the adapter plate I made to run the hoses to it than the plugs. I epoxied the plugs then painted over them.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (41 Coupe, Twisted6), 366 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available