Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I think Patrick's sold some of the GMC Nicson cast iron units. Ken, I would definately be interested in a Nicson GMC valve cover and side plate. I hope they will both become avalable again I have a set of the original cast headers and actually used them once at El Mirage...Flow is terrible.

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
Contributor
Contributor
I have been told that the Nicson exhaust flowed terrible. I have a webshots album of my exhaust setup here -> http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2621544980030346325BeKaJR

I am sure they flow better than the stock exhaust, but not sure how much worse than a set of Fentons or tube headers. I like the look and for now that is enough.

I am switching to Nicson 3-carb intake when I get some time. The motor pulls strong now and has no problem sending the truck with stock stance over 90 mph - drum brakes make me a little queasy going any faster.

My present shop project is putting in an overhead crane - as soon as that project is done, I am on to the casting furnace. Too many projects, not enough time. \:\)

Last edited by Ken; 08/14/10 02:08 AM.
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
I see what you mean - the flow leaving the ports is better than the stock manifolds, but it all stops when the front and rear manifolds aim at each other. What that needs is a pair of weld-ell 90° fittings, one for each dump, parallel, or (if not enough room) siamese them as needed into a "Y".
Just a thought: not practical if you already have the system built, and/or have limited room under the hood, but if 2 rears (or 2 fronts) were used, with the "wrong" one upside down on the other side, the pipes would pass each other without interference one above the other, and could simply both be turned down 90° into a dual system.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Ken, not too many of those Nicson triples left. I have one for a large port and the cast headers. I am always on the lookout for a valve cover that's not too beat up and a side plate. Luv too use them all together on a 270 in a '52 coupe...I can always dream. I have the short block ready and a head like yours. I know how the put the large port manifold on a small port head or just use one of my large port heads. To me, that's the best head for the street. Your pictures are great...................JD

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks JD

I watched eBay and Craigslist like a hawk and I finally scored a 3-pot Nicson a few months back. All I need now is some time to pull everything I need together. With a small business and 5 kids - time is something I never seem to have enough of!

Ken

Contributor
Contributor
What do you guys make of this Nicson Intake - looks like a GMC unit modified to fit something else . . . it would take some effort to bring this back to a point where it could be used on a GMC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINTAGE-O...=item41525c0c35

Contributor
Contributor
Charlie's patterns were bought by Barry Phillips and several sets were made in California with his logo on them, they then passed on to the (ill fated) reborn Wayne Manufacturing Company where a few sets were cast with the NICSON name on them.

Here are a couple of pictures of my set of Charlies manifolds, they are dated 7/94 and the serial number is 002.

Tim

Tim Tenold
I.I.#498
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
As you can see from the pictures the only port that has any reason able flow would be #1; the rest go directly into a hard 90 degree stop. The originals have the raised letters N I C S O N in an arch over the 3 bolt flange. If I ever build a streeter I would definately use them just for the "cool" factor...JD

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I have a set of the exhaust hook up parts from Barry Phillips for these headers. If anyone needs them send me a PM or an email and we can work something out - I'll never use them.

Tom
I.I. #1475
E
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
E
Anybody have any info on the owner of this car. Looks like a 41 Chevy convertible I was working on in Hawaii back in the 80's , minus the cool engine though. Sold it when got into a little trouble in the Navy. Thanks. Jim
Anyways, it's the 41 Chevy on previous page.

Last edited by eagleuh1; 12/26/14 10:16 PM.
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
Sorry go dig up and old thread- but I’m trying to get hold of jalopy45 in thenhope of an intake for my
302GMC, does anyone have direct contact with him? I have tired PM and email.
Mthanks Joe

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Joe, I don't know of a way to get in touch with Gary other than here. If all else fails I expect to see him in August at Hot August Nights. He isn't here as much as he used to be. What type of intake are you looking for? Tom

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
If all else fails that would be great please Tom.

I would like something multi carb for 2/3 97s. I have been hunting all over to try and find out what was even made back in the day, let alone what people have they want to sell. Would be a nice piece for the project rather than buying something new.

Edit: I have a D shape port head, motor will not be used for street use.

Also after a nicson rocker cover for a GMC if there’s any of those hanging about, again highly unlikely!

Cheers Joe

Last edited by the pinstriper; 06/07/18 03:16 AM.
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
I can't find any Nicson manifolds for 2 or 3 X 97, only 3 X 1 for conventional 1 bbl. flange in both side-draft and down-draft and 2 X 1 in down-draft.
Trying for manifolds by type: a 2 X 1 must be a common (plenum) type with simultaneous linkage. A 3 X 1 can be either a plenum type with progressive linkage (idle on the middle throat), or individual runner with all 3 simultaneous.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Not for street use? Race car? There is a lot out there but most of it is sitting in someones "man cave". You have to wait for some old guy to go the the big car show in the sky and hope his family doesn't donate his treasure to the Salvation Army to sell for scrap. One of our local guys mentioned some 302 stuff. I'll see what he has when I get home next week.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
Excellent info there Panic, I have been hunting for all info on 2/3x2 inlets. So hard to find answers with out the knowledge you guys bring. Be great if you could get in touch with the chap with the intakes. He seems to have everything.

Beater- I don’t like the term “race car” more a build for fun, started cheap but ended up being more expensive. I have a 302 coming over from the US to the UK. McCulloch v57s in the box too, but I may save that for another day. I see a few guys on instagram with crazy collections of inlets and goodies, most of it sitting on someone’s wall or for display only, not for sale! It’s a shame as a nice manifold would be great for my build. Single seater, building a chassis based around a model A chassis, also have a winters quick change coming over in the container too. So a jimmy powered modified/special for some events here in the UK

Vintage speed parts would be great if anyone is willing to give up parts off there wall. If your local guy has some parts Beater that would be great.

Sorry for taking this a bit away from the thread itself

Newcomer
Newcomer
I have a 54 gmc 248 but really having a hard time finding a 2 carb intake. Tons of ellis listed on ebay but none will fit. Same with the nicson exhaust. So easy to find chevy stuff. Considering the gmc stuff was hot rodded back in the days it really surprises me I cannot find something. If anyone has any connections please let me know. Also does anyone know about which carbs to use and getting them jetted properly with the proper venturis. Thanks in advance for any info.
Chris

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
What I can't find (in addition to everything else!) is which OBS L6 engines have similar port locations and 1 bbl. carburetor flange patterns (SAE #2 or 3) to the 235 & GMC, but obviously:
1. different intake port center distance
2. different? port ID
3. different port runner flange pattern
The Ply-Do 23" and Spitfire 25" SV look very similar to those (3 intake ports), but too small.
The Pontiac 239 and Ford 223/262 have 4 intake ports.
The Ford 226 SV has 6 ports.
Any other engines worth looking at?

G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Contact Buffalo at 360 652 7684 for Nicson GMC exhaust manifolds.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 322 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available