Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hello all,

My name is Josh. I'm no stranger to cars, or forums, and have searched and searched to no avail. I can't figure out what exactly I have in my garage right now.

Its a 1964 Chevrolet Biscayne 4-door sedan. Near as i can tell, bare bones and bone stock. It has an I-6 (which is a 230, i think) and casting numbers/serial numbers which dont make any sense. Attached are pix. According to GM, this casting number doesnt exist and no inline 6 engines for these cars have been made in mexico. This one is stamped "GM, Heche en Mexico" right above the casting number.

Also the serial number makes no sense. The first letter is an M. It should be an F-for Flint MI, or T-for Tonawanda NY. what I am wondering is if the engines for texas cars came from mexico because we are so close?

At any rate, the VIN denotes it should have an I-6, so its the correct motor for the car, and as far as I was told, original.

I got the car from a friend of mine i went to Iraq with. The car belonged to his father, who had passed. It was in the barn where it had been sitting for almost a decade. It had 20,457 miles on it, had a clear title and keys. It turned over but would not start. I gave $500 for the car and pulled it home on my trailer. Given that history, from someone i quite literally trust with my life, im having a hard time understanding how yhe engine isnt original to the car.

Any ideas?

Combat Wounded Veteran
'64 Chevy Biscayne
'15 Ram 1500 Limited
'02 Lexus ES
'14 Honda Civic
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 07/20/18 06:54 PM.

Combat Wounded Veteran
'64 Chevy Biscayne
'15 Ram 1500 Limited
'02 Lexus ES
'14 Honda Civic
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The "Hecho in Mexico" blocks are actually more desirable for performance and racing, but I don't think they actually began being produced until the early 1970's and into the 80's. All the one's i've seen were made in that time period. Your first pic shows the casting date to be Feb. 16 1972. So, its not original to any vehicle made before that time.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I saw that date. But wasnt sure if it was a date, or something else.

This makes me sad, but happy at the same time. Knowing that the engine is not original will make it not such a big deal to replace it.

It has Gas in the oil so i highly doubt itll run. Most likely will need a rebuild. If I am going to that I will yank it, sell it as a core, and drop an LS or something in.

Combat Wounded Veteran
'64 Chevy Biscayne
'15 Ram 1500 Limited
'02 Lexus ES
'14 Honda Civic
Contributor
Contributor
ArmyofOne Thank you for your service and Welcome to our web-site. We have 3 active Inliners Chapter in Texas I hope that you would check out the Chapter that is closest to you. You will find a wealth of information and help from the Chapter members and other Inliner members.

Luke Lucas

Luke Lucas I.I. #516
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thank you! It was my privilege to serve. I'll check it out for sure!

Combat Wounded Veteran
'64 Chevy Biscayne
'15 Ram 1500 Limited
'02 Lexus ES
'14 Honda Civic
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
We are an inline engine group so you know this was coming. smile Your Mexican block if in good shape is worth something. Please make sure it finds a good home. I know the easy and popular thing to do would be to stick a V8 up it, but a well built L6 will do anything you need on the street. I'll guarantee at a show fewer people will pass it by with a glance into the engine bay. People will hear it and ask what engine it has. Not every V8 will out run it and the ones that don't will have a ton of excuses made in it's behalf. laugh Far more interesting than a cookie cutter 350/350 or any thing that looks like it. But it's yours. cool

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
If i decide not to keep it i will certainly not scrap it, but sell it, possibly on here. Im not so much attatched to it. I'd like a V8 but a rebuild kit for this monster is only $250. Might be the way to go. V8 swaps are $$$

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 07/22/18 03:28 PM.

Combat Wounded Veteran
'64 Chevy Biscayne
'15 Ram 1500 Limited
'02 Lexus ES
'14 Honda Civic

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available