Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#94759 11/20/18 03:06 PM
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Anyone else having the problem of the alternator belt just loosing tension all the time? I keep finding myself killing my battery, then finding the alternator is not turning enough because the belt is loose. The location of the alternator under the PS pump makes it tough to adjust on these Chevy inlines. I get a pry bar to put the tension on the alternator, against the block and bracket, with one hand while tightening the adjustment bolt down to lock the tension with the other hand. But it always seems to work itself loose over time? I keep replacing batteries because of this.

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Are you tightening both bolts not just at the slide.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
I have.....maybe I'm not tightening the right two?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
While it shouldn't be necessary maybe instead of a slotted adjustment strap you could use a turnbuckle. I do that on my race car.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
While it shouldn't be necessary maybe instead of a slotted adjustment strap you could use a turnbuckle. I do that on my race car.

That's a pretty good idea. I'm not sure if the slider bracket is part of the PS bracket above it or is removable?

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: Twisted6
Are you tightening both bolts not just at the slide.

I have the 1/2" both on the slider bracket above. Then there is the through bolt on the bracket on the bottom of the alternator, which has a bolt head on the front and a nut on the back. Correct? That bottom one is a pain with two wrenches. I wonder if I'm maybe sliding the alternator backwards while tightening the bottom?

Here's my procedure: I loosen the bottom bolt and nut so they pivot, then I loosen the slider bracket bolt, I take a pry bar between the PS pump and alternator and pull the alternator as taught as I can, then I tighten the slider bolt, then I tighten the lower bracket bolt and nut.

Is there a better way to do this, or should I just always have a second set of hands around when I do this to keep the tension on during the whole procedure?

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
There is always a belt tension jack:

MSC Direct

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: stock49
There is always a belt tension jack:

MSC Direct

That would replace a set of hands. laugh

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
I had the same problem on an old big block that I ran in my tow truck.. I replaced the bolt through the slide bracket with one that threaded all the way through the ear on the alternator. After that, when I adjusted the belt, which became a seldom needed task, I tightened the slider bolt. tightened the lower bolt and then tightened a nut on the back end of the slider bolt. I discovered that the bolt in the ear of the alternator was loosening during operation and the "double nut" kept it from doing so.

I also added a hardened washer under the head of the adjuster bolt and one under the double nut. The factory washer was too soft and deformed over time and repeated adjustment.

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: Blackwater
I had the same problem on an old big block that I ran in my tow truck.. I replaced the bolt through the slide bracket with one that threaded all the way through the ear on the alternator. After that, when I adjusted the belt, which became a seldom needed task, I tightened the slider bolt. tightened the lower bolt and then tightened a nut on the back end of the slider bolt. I discovered that the bolt in the ear of the alternator was loosening during operation and the "double nut" kept it from doing so.

I also added a hardened washer under the head of the adjuster bolt and one under the double nut. The factory washer was too soft and deformed over time and repeated adjustment.

Thanks. Sounds like the same problem I'm having. I haven't had the bolts off of it since I replaced the alternator. My alternator is clocked for a small block and I need to take it off and clock the rear housing so that the wires are not to the inside toward the block and facing outward for easier access. I could check out bolts and washers, and replace them then.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 162 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available