Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
DeveK Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
Does anyone know if there are Electric Waterpumps available for the 235/261 engines (1954-1962)?

I have a waterpump article (http://devestechnet.com/Home/WaterpumpPrimer) and want to include this information if there are any available, or any that could be modified.

Thanks!
Deve
devestechnet.com

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hi DeveK . . .

I have never seen a bolt on electric pump for this vintage of Chevy or even the later inline sixes for that matter.

Down under they use a block-off plate to plumb a remote pump: AussieSpeed

regards,
stock49

N
Contributor
Contributor
N
DeveK,
Do a search for remote water pumps. Meziere, Allstar, Warner all make remote ones. They range in price from around $160. up. My friends have one on their Falcon, (believe it's a borg warner thats about the size of a large grape fruit They have used it for several years on their turbocharged 250 and seems to work fine.

Az Chapter Head
Club Merchandise Coordinator

34' Ford Cabriolet Ford 300 & C-4 under Construction
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Electric pumps have high current draw, most practical with an alternator.
They also allow something otherwise difficult to do: separate the fan speed from the water delivery volume. Normally these are in lock-step because they're on the same pulley.
You can get some free power and reduced noise by slowing down your fan by using a larger pulley or smaller damper.

DeveK Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
What would be ideal is if we could find an electric waterpump that would not be hard to adapt to our engines. Maybe elongate holes, or make an adapter plate or something that isn't over the top.

Using Dave Folsom's waterpump adapter plate on an AD puts the waterpump back in the middle of the radiator where it belongs. That is a no-brainer. I do that everytime I rebuild an engine. So a way to use that with an electric one would be something I think would be worth looking in to. I am one of those who start with 12 volt 10 or 12SI alternators as a baseline.

Thanks for the replies. I still think this is a good idea, but not sure where to start or what to order that is possible.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
After i upgraded to a new aluminum rad i took my fan off as it cools so efficiently. I do still have a electric unit on the front of the rad so you dont see it when looking into the engine bay. The fan is set to kick in at 185 and one stays on for a short time in stop and go traffic.

52 3100,235ci,Clifford In,Fenton Ex,Fitech EFI,251/254 cam,HEI,T-5,S10 rear, and much more!
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
This might be a dumb idea but could you just take the guts out and plug the shaft hole and use an inline electric pump? I thought about running the mech. pump and having an inline electric pump to cool between races or to avoid the "heat sink" effect but Meziere said I would have to run the electric all the time. An electric kind of scares me on long trips unless I had a spare. The mech. pump I can buy anywhere.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available