Print Thread
Rate Thread
#95799 09/15/19 10:52 PM
stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Greetings . . .

I am pleased to announce the launch of a new feature here at the Inliner’s Forums – the ability to upload photographs for use in Discussion Forum postings!

This feature is part of the UBB.threads platform that powers our Forums. It is a called a Gallery Forum. The new forum “Photo Library” appears last in the Forum List below Swap Meet.

To ensure a smooth launch I have put together a quick tutorial on how to curate photos, create a gallery posting, upload photos and then use the UBB.code “IMG” tags to display those photos in a Discussion Forum posting.

In the interest of completeness - let’s start first with a closely related discussion about curating photos - specifically image file sizing and aspect ratios.

The typical digital photo from a modern cell phone is of fairly high resolution. Photos from digital snap-shot cameras can be even higher in resolution – and digital SLR camera images down right huge . . .

Here are some photos from a car show that I shot with my Olympus:

As you can see this picture is over 4MB – much to large to be rendered over the internet by someone reading a post. Clicking details will give us an indication of the aspect ratio of the photo (width x height) expressed in pixels:

A typical 4:3 ratio for a ‘portrait’ oriented photo – but in this case a huge 4K pixels wide by 3K pixels high.

The Gallery Forum tool expects us to curate our raw photos down-to-size for easy consumption from the internet. The good news is that this puts us in the driver’s seat in terms of the properties of the photos we choose to publish here on the Inliner’s Forums. The guidelines are simple – smaller file sizes render faster – which is pleasing for our audience who might be on a slow internet connection (or even a smart phone with just a cellular link). Preserving the original aspect ratio of the photo is critical to preventing image distortion. In practice this means that we should Crop first and then Resize our images.

Cropping the raw image is important – because this is our way of choosing WHICH pixels are the most important. The Windows ‘Photos’ tool is easy to use. Simply open the file and then choose Edit & Create.

The tool preserves the original aspect ratio from the raw photo as you select which part of the photograph is relevant (by putting the rubber-band around it).

By choosing Save a Copy we have our newly cropped image saved on disk (2) - plus the original raw photo should we need to go back and crop again.

In this case the crop has the effect of zooming in on our subject – an Austin 850:

The resulting file is just a fraction of the original – 25% - but the image quality remains unchanged – still fairly high resolution. Moreover, the zooming effect has resulted in an image that almost square – a 3x3 ratio – losing the guy in the sandals on the left, the car parked next door on the right and the next row in the show behind.

Now that we have cropped out just the pixels of interest – we can scale the image down (in terms of resolution) by reducing the pixel count. For this I prefer the now ancient Windows Paint tool. This tool can be found by choosing the cropped image in Windows Explorer, right-click and select Open with > Paint. You will be surprised at how large the picture appears inside this old school tool from a lower resolution era. You can bring the entire photo into view by choosing View/Zoom out.

The Windows Paint resize tool allows us to scale the image down without altering its proportions. In this case we can see that the original resolution of the raw photo remains – but we have zoomed in on the 2658 X 2318 pixels of interest:

Since we are resizing based on pixels we can choose precisely how wide the resized image will be – in this case 768 pixels wide:

with the maintain aspect ratio flag ‘checked’ the proportions of the original photo remain – resulting in a smaller but undistorted image.

Once the image is resized you can perform a Save As to a file with a name that describes precisely what it is - in this case an ‘Austin850’. I usually put these into a cropped directory for easy identification and upload. Again a right click properties reveals the curated file size:

just 273K, a small fraction of the original raw photograph.

There are seven photographs in total that I wish to upload into the new Gallery post. By performing the steps above the result will be 7 compact photos that will all render with the exact same width of 768 pixels.

Now to the Gallery Tool itself. Open the forum by clicking Photo Library at the end of the Forum list:

Choose the New Image button:

Both fields are compulsory when creating a new image posting. I use the same description in both:

Then choose the Image Manager link.

The Image Manager widget will appear in a pop-up window (make sure pop-ups aren’t blocked for inliners.org in your browser):

Next we can upload all of the files in a single step by browsing our cropped directory:

Selecting each file (1 at a time) – and then choosing add file:

Once you have uploaded all of the files (a maximum of 12 per post) – you can then click Done adding files:

and then choose submit.

In the first reply we will explore the resulting gallery post and how to integrate the photos into discussion forum posting.

Regards,
stock49

stock49 #95800 09/15/19 10:56 PM
stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Greetings . . .

Now that we have our first gallery posting online I would like to continue the tutorial with details on how to utilize these photos in a discussion forum posting like this one here in Chapter news.

Visiting our new posting in the Photo Library displays the 7 images uploaded as described above:

The thumbnails can be used to select the various images in the posting. The details frame includes the UBBcode image tags and URLs needed to reference the photos in a discussion forum posting:

This is handy because when you are creating your discussion thread you do not need to use the image link widget:

Instead you can just type your posting into the new post box and cut and paste the image links from Gallery post details:

The UBBcodes for image links are included.
-------------------------------------------
Car shows can sometimes surprise us with “things you don’t see every day” items. At a recent show close to my home I encountered no less then 4 inline powered cars that fall into this very category.

The first is the earliest version of the Mini to arrive in America (pre ’62) – the Austin 850:

the car was bone stock and show room clean under the hood:

The next 4 banger was a series II Nash Metropolitan (’55 only):

that was equally pristine under the hood:

Next up was a ’55 Willys Bermuda:

with the venerable 226 flat head Super Hurricane 6:

Last but not least was a ’42 Buick that had the expensive Compound Carburetion option:

and in this case with Carter WCD’s fitted. The other carburetor used by Buick was the Stromberg Aero. Not sure how many units came with Stromberg versus Carter or why they changed. This option is only found on '41 and '42 models.
-------------------------------------------

Looking forward to all the future discussion threads with photos hosted from here.

PM me if you are having trouble with uploads.

Regards,
Stock49

stock49 #95802 09/16/19 01:14 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
A great feature for sure. Do the photos still have to come from a web hosting site or can they be up loaded from a desk top or photo library?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
A great feature for sure. Do the photos still have to come from a web hosting site or can they be up loaded from a desk top or photo library?

This replaces the need for an external hosting site for photos. One can upload photos directly from the desktop into our Photo Library.

stock49 #95805 09/16/19 08:39 PM
Contributor
Online Content
Contributor
GREAT JOB!!!! Thank You Keith!

Luke Lucas I.I. #516
stock49 #95806 09/17/19 02:21 PM
N
Contributor
Contributor
N
Awesome thanks Keith!

Az Chapter Head
Club Merchandise Coordinator

34' Ford Cabriolet Ford 300 & C-4 under Construction
stock49 #95817 09/22/19 12:32 AM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Will work on trying to use it. Please add me to the list

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Will work on trying to use it. Please add me to the list

I have been working my way through the Forum members list comparing it to the dues paid Club Roster. You were among the first 50 Forum members reviewed and added to the Access List.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available