Rate Thread
#95864 09/27/19 01:49 PM
D
Derrick Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
New member and first time post. Inline 6's are new to me. I am in the process of wanting to build an in-line 6 for my drag car (1956 Henry J) as I want to put it back to the way my uncles raced the same car in the 60's and 70's. I would really like for the car to run 11.0's and we figure will need approx 400 HP to do so. I Have picked up a Chevy 292 so far and starting to plan things out now. I guess my questions are; is 400 hp obtainable NA and if so what all will need to be done??

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Welcome to the forums. A Henry J drag car . . . Sounds like a fun project. I would start first by reading the Leo Santucci Power Manual.

Regards,
stock49

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
It can be done, but in addition to power (more than double the original) what transmission?
What was done to the original engine?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have been trying to get the one my uncle has to do a straight axle build on it. But he keeps telling Oh no its to rusty. And I tell him I don't care about the frame or floor pans. Id' be replacing it all anyway lol.
Welcome to the inline world and keep us up to date on the Build.

Last edited by Twisted6; 09/27/19 07:49 PM.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
It can be done. I'm expecting 450 on pump gas.Get ready to spend a lot of money.I would highly recommend a billet crank so you don't turn it into a corkscrew. When I had Crower make mine I had to send them a stock crank because they had never made one. I would guess they still have the specs so yours should be less expensive. I'm running 4-71 blower and 3 roch 2 bbl carbs, crank fired ignition, dry sump oil. Backed up with TKO 600 5 speed and Frankland quick change rear end with Gleason dif. Bicknel torque arm and Wilwood 13" disk brakes 4 and 6 piston calipers.My build we reach the 6 digit zone. I also have aux drag radiator with electric pump and totally electric P/S and A/C. Good luck and have fun.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
mick, Didn't he say he wanted to do NA?

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Originally Posted By: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
mick, Didn't he say he wanted to do NA?

Sorry I didn't know the blower counted. I just figured if I had carbs that put me in the club. My mistake. I'm not running nitrous but would that also be not NA?

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Basically, 2 limitations, both serious.
1. without a 12 port head ($$$), big peak power is difficult (compared to a modern V8 head). Lumps + valves + extensive porting.
2. make sure nothing breaks, 1st parts are rods and pistons.

Santucci is surprisingly brief in his discussion of the oil system, especially oil and pressure control in the pan. Look at other L6 engines for ideas.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
For decades it has been pretty well universally acclaimed that to make lots of horsepower cheaply the best choice was a small block Chevrolet V8. Sure, other brands of V8s could be made to perform admirably, but getting there was going to be more costly and more difficult than using the SBC.

In the inline six cylinder world things are a little bit different. Other brands of inlines will get you to the 400 hp level easier and more reliably, but if you really want to go with a 292 and really want to achieve 400 hp then set your sails and don't let money or technical issues slow you.

P.S., I love the early gassers. I grew up in Ohio where in the '60s you could drive by open garage doors and every other one had a gasser inside. At a nostalgia drag race I attended last weekend there were about 40! of them in competition and several more on display.
I have a '33 Willys coupe and a '49 Anglia and my son has a '48 Anglia, all of them inline 6 powered. None of them are pushing out 400 hp but loads of fun nevertheless.

Last edited by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER; 09/30/19 10:08 AM.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
D
Derrick Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Originally Posted By: panic
It can be done, but in addition to power (more than double the original) what transmission?
What was done to the original engine?

Plan is to run a 4-speed of some sort

D
Derrick Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Originally Posted By: mick53
It can be done. I'm expecting 450 on pump gas.Get ready to spend a lot of money.I would highly recommend a billet crank so you don't turn it into a corkscrew. When I had Crower make mine I had to send them a stock crank because they had never made one. I would guess they still have the specs so yours should be less expensive. I'm running 4-71 blower and 3 roch 2 bbl carbs, crank fired ignition, dry sump oil. Backed up with TKO 600 5 speed and Frankland quick change rear end with Gleason dif. Bicknel torque arm and Wilwood 13" disk brakes 4 and 6 piston calipers.My build we reach the 6 digit zone. I also have aux drag radiator with electric pump and totally electric P/S and A/C. Good luck and have fun.

Sounds like an awesome project but 6 figures.....yikes!!!

D
Derrick Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
1. without a 12 port head ($$$), big peak power is difficult (compared to a modern V8 head). Lumps + valves + extensive porting.

Santucci is surprisingly brief in his discussion of the oil system, especially oil and pressure control in the pan. Look at other L6 engines for ideas.

I figured I would be up against some serious head work. Do they make an aluminum head for the 292's or any other inline 6?? What about a good rod and piston?? How far can they be bored out usually??

D
Derrick Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Originally Posted By: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
For decades it has been pretty well universally acclaimed that to make lots of horsepower cheaply the best choice was a small block Chevrolet V8. Sure, other brands of V8s could be made to perform admirably, but getting there was going to be more costly and more difficult than using the SBC.

In the inline six cylinder world things are a little bit different. Other brands of inlines will get you to the 400 hp level easier and more reliably, but if you really want to go with a 292 and really want to achieve 400 hp then set your sails and don't let money or technical issues slow you.

P.S., I love the early gassers. I grew up in Ohio where in the '60s you could drive by open garage doors and every other one had a gasser inside. At a nostalgia drag race I attended last weekend there were about 40! of them in competition and several more on display.
I have a '33 Willys coupe and a '49 Anglia and my son has a '48 Anglia, all of them inline 6 powered. None of them are pushing out 400 hp but loads of fun nevertheless.

I wouldn't say I am stuck on a 292. When my uncle raced the Henry J in the 60 and 70's he ran a GMC 302 and a 4-speed and car would go 11.80's. Car is heavier now because of safety requirements they have now that was not required back then. It now weighs 2950 lbs but that was with the 500 ci Mopar engine. I would think a inline 6 will weigh
less?? I would like to get the car to run 11.0's so was told I will need approx 400 hp.

I would love to hear more about your combo's Frenchtown!!

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
A 292 is a really expensive way to get 400 hp.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That is about the same as a 67 Camaro my buddy had and ran 11.80s wheels up

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Originally Posted By: Derrick

I figured I would be up against some serious head work. Do they make an aluminum head for the 292's or any other inline 6?? What about a good rod and piston?? How far can they be bored out usually??

I have an aluminum 12 port cross flow head being heat treated now. It's the first of its kind. We'll see how it performs.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
My DD 183" L6 has an aluminum 12 port cross-flow head and would pull that car along nicely - it's about 520 hp at the flywheel.
You could make one like it from a $500 junkyard core (using the original block, head, water, oil, crank and aftermarket pistons and rods) with a single turbo for much less money, but it's EFI and the electronics are $$$.

???

2JZ-GTE

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
My DD 183" L6 has an aluminum 12 port cross-flow head and would pull that car along nicely - it's about 520 hp at the flywheel.
You could make one like it from a $500 junkyard core (using the original block, head, water, oil, crank and aftermarket pistons and rods) with a single turbo for much less money, but it's EFI and the electronics are $$$.

???

2JZ-GTE

Toyota Supra! nice mill. . .

regards,
stock92

92 Toyota MR2 5S-FE
Not American but still inline . . .

D
Derrick Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Originally Posted By: Derrick

I have an aluminum 12 port cross flow head being heat treated now. It's the first of its kind. We'll see how it performs.

That sounds interesting!!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
[quote=Derrick]I have an aluminum 12 port cross flow head being heat treated now. It's the first of its kind. We'll see how it performs.

Can't wait to see some pics and hear about the specs. How many heads did you make?

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Originally Posted By: stock49
[quote=Derrick]I have an aluminum 12 port cross flow head being heat treated now. It's the first of its kind. We'll see how it performs.

Can't wait to see some pics and hear about the specs. How many heads did you make?
I don't have anything to do with making it I'm just buying it. I don't know what it is going to cost. If you have to ask then...... I already have a complete ported and polished iron head and blower plenum from Gaerte Racing engines before I changed directions so I guess I'll have to build another one.

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
I'd recommend talking to CNC Dude!! He has much knowledge of the 292 and past experience with Jim Headrick who engineered Cotton Perry's 292s. Those were AMAZING performers!!

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Did Leo say how much HP he was making in his book? What did Tom make in his dyno tests? I realize that the engines Tom tested were pretty mild compared to what is being talked about here. And, yes CNC Dude has a lot of first hand experience with drag engines.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
D
Derrick Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
While we are on the topic of making the most HP out of an inline 6 (292 in this case) whats the best intake and header combo out there for?? Offenhauser, Clifford, Aussie??

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
The Clifford has the largest plenum, IDK whether any have mixture distributions problems. This assumes you want to use 1 X 4 bbl., not the only choice.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Nearly stock 292 (except forged pistons, better pushrods & springs) 400 hp: serpentine drive to Eaton M112 (JY $200) + header. Yes, you have to make the drive.
Stock head, cam, oil, water, crank, rods.

D
Derrick Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Nearly stock 292 (except forged pistons, better pushrods & springs) 400 hp: serpentine drive to Eaton M112 (JY $200) + header. Yes, you have to make the drive.
Stock head, cam, oil, water, crank, rods.

Wow very nice panic! Sounds like a cheap and easy way to get 400 hp out of a 292!!
Is it for sale??....:o)

D
Derrick Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
The Clifford has the largest plenum, IDK whether any have mixture distributions problems. This assumes you want to use 1 X 4 bbl., not the only choice.

What about 12bolt.com intake and other parts?? Looks like nice stuff!

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Just the recipe, not the cake

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Just the recipe, not the cake

Well said laugh I have the makings for some great engines laying around here but no cake. frown

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 10/04/19 12:20 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 322 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available