Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#96021 10/29/19 12:12 AM
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Is it possible to get these open? I've seen a replacement mesh I believe, but it seems most people convert over to a dry style. I've seen on Deve's site that he shows how to modify one, I might do as he shows...

But do these contraptions open up somehow to clean the mesh one's self? Looks like it must twist open or the center pulls/pushes to release it...

Any hints? I know it will open with a cut-off wheel in a die grinder, or a torch, but was hoping there was a way to reuse it... wink

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Most of the old oil bath air cleaners were just washed out well and reused with new oil. Reycled, nothing in the land fill. I'm not sure what yours is.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Most of the old oil bath air cleaners were just washed out well and reused with new oil. Reycled, nothing in the land fill. I'm not sure what yours is.

Yeah, I guess mine is like that. I did clean it with some kerosene and sloshed it around...I did that twice but left it off yesterday when I was at the truck.

I'm gonna use a dry filter and just use a cover. I think it's best to have a cleaner on top of the carb.

Since we're in engines, seems the late model 235 as I have was shipped with a Carter YF 3211, which has an automatic choke which uses a heat stove. I currently have a Carter 964S which was shipped with the 216, and that confirms what I've believed the previous owner to do...use all the 216 parts on the 235 block and head. Do you know anything about those carbs and what is involved in creating the heat stove from the exhaust to the carb with a copper pipe?

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I'm familiar with that. There are probably the pieces you need for sale on eBay.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
I'm familiar with that. There are probably the pieces you need for sale on eBay.

There's a guy over on Stovebolt I've communicated with in the past, his name is Jon Goodman, he's in TX. He has a few 3211s for sale and will get me info on the heat stove when he returns home next week. I guess people have done that a bunch of various ways, mostly using copper tube from the exhaust.

That said, Jim Carter said he would drive it as-is and use the Carter YF that is on there unless I have a problem with it. So your comment in the truck forum is probably spot on, check for leaks and do like Jim suggests...drive it. I'm getting close to getting it on the road. Be nice to be able to drive it home and work on it...the dirt yard is taking a toll on me...(if I never roll over on another sticker for the rest of my life it would be fine with me! Those hurt!)

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Having it at home will be a good thing. Think of the travel time you'll save.

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Having it at home will be a good thing. Think of the travel time you'll save.

Indeed, but more so that I have most of my tools at my house, and I won't have to crawl around in dirt and stickers...I try to sweep 'em away, but they seem to make their way back under me...

One day I hope I have the confidence that I can jump in my pickup and drive 8 hours without having to worry that it will break down, or have a similar catastrophic problem.

This is what I'm thinking of using for the air filter, if I have enough height. This is 5" high.

https://www.knfilters.com/ru-0680-universal-clamp-on-air-filter

or one of these:

(3" high)
https://www.knfilters.com/ru-0660-special-order-univ-clamp-on-fltr
(3.5" high)
https://www.knfilters.com/ru-0690-special-order-univ-clamp-on-fltr

TT
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Anybody here running a modern dry filter on their inline 6? The K&Ns are not really a dry filter, they use oil in them that gets renewed.

Here's what I'm wondering. I see at the Filling Station they have this replacement filter, it's a reusable filter that takes oil like the K&N filters. It says the size is 5.3" in diameter and 2.0" tall.

https://www.fillingstation.com/detail/24491/Chevrolet_UNIVERSAL_1BBL_AIR_FILTER.html

I'm asking because the filter seems small, but the newer filters breath better I'm told...K&N has this filter, and it would be nice to have a smaller filter if possible. this is slightly bigger than the filter at The Filling Station. This is 5.5" x 2.5" deep. I tried to call K&N earlier, I want to ask how to calculate how much filter is needed for a 235, but I was literally 2 minutes late after they closed. whistle Since the RPM is relatively low on the inline 6, seems that should be no problem. It actually looks like the same filter, but hard to tell over the Inet. Since the one at The Filing Station is cheaper, I suspect it's Hencho en China...however it would end up about the same price as K&N provides free shipping. wink

https://www.knfilters.com/rc-0650-universal-clamp-on-air-filter

TT
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor

I ended up ordering this from K&N. I was told I need 188cfm for the 235 (3.8L at 3500 rpm max), the above has about 228 cfm. I don't know how you calculate. I wasn't impressed with tech support, but that was the 1st level support...what can I expect? smirk

This is no fuss, no building any bracket to hold it on, no extending any screws up to hold it in place...this is a 2.250" flange that will fit on the Carter YF.

For anyone reading this thread that is looking to replace their oil bath filter, Mike's Carburetors offers a similar filter that is non-K&N for $31 + shipping and The Filling Station offers theirs for $35 + shipping. K&N offers free shipping, so while the price is $56, it's almost a wash with free shipping.

I like to support American companies when I can. wink

TT
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor

TT
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: panic

panic,

Do you mean in regard to the FAQ saying they are not legal in CA?

Not sure what your point is. confused

CA doesn't require smog on this truck. They do require me to get it weighed and have the VIN verified...but not smog.

TT
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
So sorry, I'll remember not to help.

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
So sorry, I'll remember not to help.

???

I don't know, I'm drawing a blank here. You posted the link to the FAQ, I was just trying to figure out what your point was.

Now you post this, that you'll remember not to help.

Ok, I have no frickin' clue what you're trying to say with either of your posts, other than you'll remember not to help.

I guess I'm not good at reading minds these days... blush if I said something that offended you, I apologize, but just really not sure what your posts were pointing out. confused

TT
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
That page explained the K&N formula to determine filter size

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
That page explained the K&N formula to determine filter size

Ah...ok...I apologize for not being able to figure that out, there's a lot of various info on the FAQ, and the CA warnings are some of them.

But now I will ask you a question in regard to the formula, since I've seen it before but just wasn't sure where the 20,839 divisor comes from?

Another person calculated 190 cfm and K&N calculated 188 cfm, so very close and certainly close enough for me. This filter will allow 228 cfm, so it's well within what the carb needs. There are a number of K&N haters out there, so I wasn't sure if you were one of them or you were pointing out about the odd CA regulations, or what. That is actually a good point, because it's illegal to put a K&N on a newer vehicle that does require smog in CA, I had forgot about that. blush

TT

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 161 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available