Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9605 11/06/05 07:36 PM
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Alright, I've finally gotten around to beginning work on my project truck.Removed trans,pressure plate,and clutch....but the flywheel won't budge.Removed the six bolts holding it to the crank,gave a few taps with a hammer,put pressure on it with pry bar between back of flywheel and engine block,sprayed it with penetrating oil.Tapped with hammer again.Still nothing.What am I overlooking?Any ideas?

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
292 4 spd. OD Offy intake Edelbrock 500cfm long tube headers 4:56 rears
#9606 11/06/05 11:23 PM
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Frank, I've had the same problem. The way I finally got my flywheel off was, for about a week, I squirted WD-40 around the flywheel/crank flange every time I walked by the engine. (I wouldn't hit the flywheel with a hammer, unless you've got another one to use) Then, after that I got two rolling-head pry bars and simultaniously pryed on the flywheel in a rocking motion. (they provide a lot of leverage) I was prepared to use heat (last straw) but after keeping this up for a few minutes the flywheel began to loosen, then, finally came off. Be careful not to damage the back of your block, as the casting there isn't as thick as you may think. Hope this helps.

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
#9607 11/06/05 11:38 PM
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Dennis,
Thanks for the reply.I will try that. I shot it with Liquid wrench yesterday and waited about an hour before trying to get it loose.Guess I need to be more patient.Patience is one of those virtues I never seem to have when I need it most.Fortunately,I'm not in a big hurry to get the truck running,unless my daily driver,the ol' S-10 Blazer decides to crap out.( it's getting there)I was hoping to get the pick-up back to running before the first snow hits,but I am a slow worker.
God bless,

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
#9608 11/07/05 01:03 AM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Leave one bolt in loose so it doesn't hit you when it breaks free !

John Kennedy
1950 Chevy Burb
1929 Ford Model A sedan
and whatever else rolls into the yard........
http://home.joimail.com/~kennedyjp/
#9609 11/10/05 10:52 PM
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
John,Thanks for the tip,I'll remember that.for now I'm just doing what dennis suggested.Keep squirting it with penetrating oil,and give it lots of time to soak in.BTW: Looked at the pics of your project Suburban.Looks like it is coming along fine!

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
#9610 11/27/05 10:59 PM
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
A quick update on the work I'm presently engaged in:Got the flywheel out on 11/11.Seems there are 3 steel pins which protrude from the crankshaft flange...once I got enough WD-40 worked in there it came off easily.Thanks for all your help.Ordered a new flywheel the next day and picked it up on 11/26.On my first post on the BB in the "Truck Talk" section (10/8) I mentioned that the flywheel had a flat spot.I know that I could just buy a ring gear,but then I would've had to have the old one removed and the new one pressed on.Figured it was easier to just get a new flywheel from the local NAPA store.$93 didn't hurt the budget too bad.Next thing on the "to do" list is to set up a shop in the basement.(the garage is occupied by a '62 VW...my other project once the truck is back to running)Will keep you all posted as things progress.I should mention that I drive truck for a living,so i am pretty much limited to only being able to work on the project truck on weekends.I'm not OTR but most weeks I only get to stop by the house once or twice during the week for a shower-n-some shut eye.Eventually I will organize my short term goals...just sent in a parts order to Jim Carter...the wife doesn't know yet,but that will be her Christmas present to me.(beats new pj's and the usual,uh, heated shaving cream dispenser,right guys?) \:D ...Hope all had a blessed Thanksgiving.

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available