Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#95967 10/16/19 01:48 PM
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Hello everyone, my name is Shane and I got my newsletter yesterday along with the go ahead for my online account here, so I have been accepted to the Inliners Community. Now to glean some information from you guys and get my 292 in my '65 C20.

I got the engine in August, was finally able to get a compression check done on it, and it the numbers came back as:

#1 160
#2 160
#3 160
#4 164
#5 151
#6 155

If I remember correctly the book says they should be 130, so I guess being higher is a good thing.

Right now this truck has a BW-OD and three on the tree, but that is coming out and an SM420 with a Ranger-OD is going in. Money has been tight so I haven't done anything to the truck in a few weeks. Mainly because when I get it running I want to drive it, and the money needed is to have the driveshaft shortened and to get new Spicer u-joints. I have all of the other parts, some have been installed, some have to wait.

After I remove the 350 and current drive train, the frame will get cleaned in areas where I haven't been able to get at, and then painted. I'll touch-up what was already painted with other projects. Some wiring will be rerouted too while the extra room to move around is available.

I got this truck in 2015 and have upgraded a few items since then. First was rebuilding the transmission as there was a lot of bearing noise. Replaced the 2-row radiator with a 3-row, and new shroud. The PO had a Carter AFB on it but it wouldn't hold a setting for more than a few days so I replaced the intake and carburetor with a spread bore and quadrajet, much better. Also added in HEI. The freewheeling part of the BW-OD was a sphincter-puckering experience to say the least and the 4-drums didn't have the stopping power, so front disc went in and the braking was greatly improved (I also figured out how to properly use the overdrive unit so it didn't freewheel). The cab mounts were shot so I installed polyurethane pucks, but I am leaning towards having Steele-Rubber make me some new vulcanized rear mounts. I installed a new wiring harness from headlight to taillight, and sound deadening inside the cab. Other than that it is just driven.

Prior to getting married I pulled the heads, had some that were laying around reworked, replaced the camshaft and timing set, after the cam break-in I drove it around town for about an hour or so, fixed any leaks that were found, and road tested it on a trip to Texas. Not ideal, but it did great. Got married and towed her car home with us.

The PO redid the bed wood before I bought it but didn't seal all of the surfaces and the boards cupped really bad thanks to the hydrant incident at Big Brand Tire. But new Mar-K bed wood will be going in by next summer. That is a back burner project at this point.

This truck is our long trip vehicle so we can load the puppy-girls into the back in the camper shell, and they can sit on the platform at the front of the bed and look through the back window. Before our next trip the seat needs to be redone, as the 1965 foam has turned into an unforgiving hard surface that makes one's butt and tailbone cry for relief after a few hours driving. We've tried making supplemental cushions from mattress foam toppers to no avail, it helps, but it doesn't make it suitable for full-days of driving.

I was looking at more torque and was going to get a 396, but my Pop suggested a 292. So I got one from Yuma, AZ with 155k on it. The only inline 6 vehicle I have ever driven is my '91 Jeep Cherokee, so to say I am green when it comes to Chevy inline sixes is an understatement. My goal is to get the best fuel economy as I can from this setup, so if it requires an Offenhauser intake or a different cam so be it. I do have the lumps from Tom Lowe, but those will go in at a later time. The final drive gear will be either 3.34 or 2.58 depending on which rear axle I go with. If I stay with the corporate axle with 4.57 gears the final drive will be 3.34. If I install the Dana 60 with 3.54 gears the final drive will be 2.58. 2.58 is about what my jeep has and the jeep weighs more than the '65 does. At least that's what the registration cards say. I already know what tire size I need to run to get the highway rpm's where I want them, I just need the vacuum to be maxed out at that speed if at all possible.

So that's my introduction, glad to be here. Once I can edit some photos as was stated in the photo thread I read last night so they're downsized, I can upload them.

If your user names are the same as those at Stovebolt, I see some of you may be members over there too. Knuckles...

Have a Great Day and God Bless!!!

Shane

292 1966; 3962084 T6G2 Lumped 250 Head 1.94/1.60 gasket matched, mildly ported. LOWEBOY
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Welcome! Sound like you have the inline bug. Not a lot of chatter here but loads of info and experts (not me). I'm a huge 292 fan but I'm going in a slightly different direction. 550 HP on pump gas and 750 HP on race fuel.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I noticed it is a little quiet around here. Ever since I started looking at inline sixes I have noticed a lot of people making the "HOT Sixes". The videos I've seen on youtube, some of those hot sixes sound really mean! I like the flat torque curve of these engines.

292 1966; 3962084 T6G2 Lumped 250 Head 1.94/1.60 gasket matched, mildly ported. LOWEBOY
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
The 292 is a torque monster.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
@panic Your response disappeared from here but I can still see it in my email.

I have never put an engine or vehicle on a dyno but it would be interesting to see what numbers my various vehicles would produce if I did.

I'm unfamiliar with VE, what is VE? Volumetric Efficiencies?

My truck is a 1965 Chevy, a 396 wasn't an option when this truck was manufactured, neither was the 350. I want to do something different and run an engine that was available as an option at the time the truck offered to the public. That, and I use my truck as a truck not a race machine, so horsepower means nothing to me, just low end (speed) torque as you mentioned, and I want something different.

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Not a lot of the belly button crowd here.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Belly Button Crowd...lol...I have never heard that term before. What does it mean? I tried looking it up google and got some interesting hits.

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Everybody has one.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Classic...lol...

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: mick53
Everybody has one.

I guess belly buttons are like arses. cool

I learn things every day I should have known already...

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Yesterday I was perusing the internet and saw something about belly button engines. Then I recalled @mick53 saying everybody has one, and the article I was reading was basically saying the SBC is a belly button engine because everybody has one. So that does make me a member of the belly button crowd, but now I turning my back to them and siding with the Inline Crowd.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: DoubleDingo
My goal is to get the best fuel economy as I can from this setup, so if it requires an Offenhauser intake or a different cam so be it.

Shane,

Local fellow has a C20 with a 292 in it that I just saw last month. His was a barn find that had 60k on it a few years ago...he's put about 30k-40k more on it I believe.

At are local Inliner meeting I was talking with him about how multi-carb effects the gas as I would just figure that you use more gas with multiple carbs, but him and another guy were telling me that is not necessarily true and that in many cases using 2 fine tuned carbs will get better gas mileage. He put a set of headers on his 292, I think he used the cast ones like on Langdon's site. He still has the single carb intake.

I know that if you look on the Langdon site, he's a big advocate of multiple carb intakes and even on the 235 seems to advocate using dual 2 barrel carbs on a Fenton setup, but some folks will argue that the engines don't suck enough air to demand such intakes and having the correct carb shipped on it and rebuilt in good operating condition will go a long way to being able to handle the engine just fine.

Where are you in Cali? I grew up in SoCal, but live in NorCal now.

TT
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
It will suck more air if you put a blower on it. Problem solved.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Indeed it will... grin

I'd like nothing more than to restore my pickup, and add some powerhouse in the engine bay, but just fixing it and driving it is my main concern. We'll see what the future brings. I'm starting a new contract next week. I don't plan too much for the engine, and would probably tackle a T5 transplant before I upgraded the engine.

I want to focus my main efforts on a home I'm trying to get built for my retirement. It is where I will eventually keep my truck.

EDIT:dingo, I misspoke, the local guy has a C10 with a 292, not a C20.

Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 11/17/19 06:14 AM. Reason: misspoke

TT
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Originally Posted By: TraditionalToolworks
Shane,

Local fellow has a C20 with a 292 in it that I just saw last month. His was a barn find that had 60k on it a few years ago...he's put about 30k-40k more on it I believe.

At are local Inliner meeting I was talking with him about how multi-carb effects the gas as I would just figure that you use more gas with multiple carbs, but him and another guy were telling me that is not necessarily true and that in many cases using 2 fine tuned carbs will get better gas mileage. He put a set of headers on his 292, I think he used the cast ones like on Langdon's site. He still has the single carb intake.

I know that if you look on the Langdon site, he's a big advocate of multiple carb intakes and even on the 235 seems to advocate using dual 2 barrel carbs on a Fenton setup, but some folks will argue that the engines don't suck enough air to demand such intakes and having the correct carb shipped on it and rebuilt in good operating condition will go a long way to being able to handle the engine just fine.

Where are you in Cali? I grew up in SoCal, but live in NorCal now.

I've read that the multi-carb setups can be more fuel efficient, but they have to be tuned well.

I grew up around Bishop, so Central-ish.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor

Yes indeed. How reliable is a blower? This truck is not a trailer queen.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I'd like nothing more than to restore my pickup, and add some powerhouse in the engine bay, but just fixing it and driving it is my main concern. We'll see what the future brings. I'm starting a new contract next week. I don't plan too much for the engine, and would probably tackle a T5 transplant before I upgraded the engine.

I want to focus my main efforts on a home I'm trying to get built for my retirement. It is where I will eventually keep my truck.

EDIT:dingo, I misspoke, the local guy has a C10 with a 292, not a C20.

Mine gets rotated into driving duty a few times a week (When it's running, right now it's in project-mode) or month, depending on when I decide to drive it. It needs to be reliable. It will have the Ranger OD, SM420 and 3.54 Dana 60 for a cruising rpm of 1800-2100 @ 65-75mph.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I grew up around Bishop, so Central-ish.

Well, you certainly must know Lee Vining well, in your backyard!

As a kid back in the 70s we used to go skiing at Mammoth, it's such a beautiful area through the hills and around Mammoth, and all throughout the Sierras..beautiful country. I wouldn't mind living there, but I see destined for Lake County for better or worse...some better and some worse! LOL

TT
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I was looking at some property up in Lake County a few years back. Looks like some pretty county there as well. The Sierras are in a league all their own. There are still a few areas that have no cell signal and I love it. I tell my supervisors don't bother contacting me because I won't get the call or text...lol...

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I was looking at some property up in Lake County a few years back.

I bought my property 19 years ago. I have about 2 acres of lakefront property, but only 90' of lakefront. Long pie shaped piece of property. I have Riparian Rights (water rights) to the lake. The State issued me a permit to use the water for domestic use.

Looks like some pretty county there as well. The Sierras are in a league all their own.

I love the Sierras, but I found the property in Lake County and figure I would be hard pressed to find property that has so much potential...but first thing is to get the shop and house built. I'm building a log home.

I have seen a number of old trucks up in Lake County for sale, so not sure if I'll find more in the future or not, but I have enough on my plate without another truck.

TT
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor

I bought my property 19 years ago. I have about 2 acres of lakefront property, but only 90' of lakefront. Long pie shaped piece of property. I have Riparian Rights (water rights) to the lake. The State issued me a permit to use the water for domestic use.

[/b][/i][/u] When I grow up I want a place like that.

I love the Sierras, but I found the property in Lake County and figure I would be hard pressed to find property that has so much potential...but first thing is to get the shop and house built. I'm building a log home.

[b]
[i]
[u]
If you already have it, may as well utilize it to its fullest potential. Sounds like a great spot.

I have seen a number of old trucks up in Lake County for sale, so not sure if I'll find more in the future or not, but I have enough on my plate without another truck.

[b][/b][i][/i][u][/u]It would be nice to save them all. My weakness is '56 Chevy's. I told my wife the only car that I really want in the fleet is a '56. She told me something has to be sold off first. Her pick is the '81 3/4 ton, for some reason she doesn't like that truck...lol...

Responded within the quotes in bold italic underlined font wink

Last edited by DoubleDingo; 11/20/19 12:59 PM.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Hmmm, couldn't get the bold italic underlined to work like I thought it would. But you get the gist

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
When I grow up I want a place like that.

Me too! I'm 61 and still waiting to grow up...my wife says it probably won't happen though... smirk This type of long term project doesn't come easy. This is taking me a loooooonnnnnnnggg time...however I am a big advocate of "Owner-Built" and I encourage everyone to build structures, shops, homes, etc...it is the way you can get ahead in life and build something very useful. Most people have the skills to do this. There are pieces of usable property all over. A lot of folks building off grid, but IMO there is nothing wrong with the grid. My property has water rights. I will use a septic tank, so this has eliminated a lot of dependency. I will be dependent on electricity, but will use solar to offset the costs. All in all this will be a fairly small footprint on dependencies.

If you already have it, may as well utilize it to its fullest potential. Sounds like a great spot.

It's gonna be! It is more than most people would expect of a home, with a beautiful view of the lake. Here's a video of the property and foundation as of August. This is the most substantial project I have ever taken on.

It would be nice to save them all. My weakness is '56 Chevy's.

I wouldn't mind having a couple more trucks, an Art Deco 'burb would be cool, but my real lust is for a '58 Cameo, or even a Fleetside. I was born in '58.

BTW, I am superstitious about dates, and the original owner of my pickup died back in 2007, I found an obituary when googlin' his name. He was born the same day as my daughter, different year of course, but same birthday.

Hmmm, couldn't get the bold italic underlined to work like I thought it would. But you get the gist

Yeah, I figured it out. I am a software engineer, but I know that doesn't mean too much these days...but it leaves me around computers quite a bit. Silicon Valley is not the same place it was 25 years ago...the demographics are entirely different. People that are actually born in Cali are in the minority, like less than 1% is my guess. cry

TT

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available